Sam Bennett on a hot streak

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
not a horrible player, but an extreme disappointment for where he was selected. That really set Calgary back
I can't even imagine how much more terrible Edmonton would be if they selected Bennett over Draisaitl. Myself and many on here wanted Bennett, and most rankings had him above Draisaitl. I'm glad to be wrong in this case.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
I can't even imagine how terrible Edmonton would be if they selected Bennett over Draisaitl. Myself and many on here wanted Bennett, and most rankings had him above Draisaitl. I'm glad to be wrong in this case.
yeah that was a huge break for Edmonton. Conversely, it probably would have been enough for Calgary to at least make the playoffs this year if they had a better 2014 pick than Bennett.

Conbon

Oct 4, 2016
London
I've got mixed feelings on Bennett. I'm no longer particularly optimistic about him but I do think he can still become a solid player. It would not surprise me one way or the other.

He has shown many flashes of being an impact player but at this point I'm not sure whether it's just because it looks like he puts more effort in for limited returns. He seems kinda like Rick Nash of the past few years in that way. (I am absolutely not making a comparison there because that would be ridiculous) What I mean by that is he will absolutely take over a game and out work everyone, but at the end of the season you're left thinking "How did a guy that good end up with less points that their #4 dman??)

There are some posters in this thread that are trolling and acting like he's already done in the league but I think Bennett is the kinda guy that you've got to go down with the ship on. You can't trade him for a 4th or something and have him flourish. He's got too little value that we might as well hold onto him in hopes he puts it together.

GeeoffBrown

Jul 6, 2007
He is a lot more skilled than Stajan. But I’m sure you’ve seen 1-2 games of Bennett this year and are basing your comparison on stats.
I dunno I'm skeptical that Bennett can reach a career high of 57 points like Stajan did.

IComeInPeace

Jun 16, 2009
LA
Seems like a change of scenery and a fresh start for him, and the Flames would be the best course of action...

But, you’re probably not getting a whole lot back for him in a trade; maybe another guy drafted early who’s kind of going through the same thing.

I’d say maybe swap out Virtanen for Bennett, but the Canucks might not want to do that as despite his meager point totals Virtanen looks like he’s actually improving as a player, whereby Bennett seems to be regresssing.

Anyways...I’d love to see him get a fresh start somewhere else.

Pestilence

Jan 17, 2016
Köklax, Finland
He’s 21.. still a very good young player. Finally putting it all together.

Remember when people were comparing him to Yakupov? :laugh:

Yeah... about that...

qrx3EGc.png

OedcWe6.png

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Because points are everything right? Oh right one player is a two way forward and the other is a pure scorer who brings absolutely nothing else to the table...

Sam Bennett a two-way player? Two way players tend to need to be able to be good defensively and offensively. Sam Bennett is 0fer on that front.

Reactions: Oilers Propagandist

lightstorm

Oct 17, 2016
I can't even imagine how much more terrible Edmonton would be if they selected Bennett over Draisaitl. Myself and many on here wanted Bennett, and most rankings had him above Draisaitl. I'm glad to be wrong in this case.

McDavid would turn Bennett into a 55-60pts player easily, so 15-20 points less than what has he done for Drai?

Miniscule difference to how much more terrible Edmonton would be.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
McDavid would turn Bennett into a 55-60pts player easily, so 15-20 points less than what has he done for Drai?

Miniscule difference to how much more terrible Edmonton would be.
As a Ducks fan who dislikes both teams and have seen both of them lining up against the Ducks - Bennet has completely nothing on Drai. I can`t even remember Bennet from the playoff series against us, meanwhile Drai was looking very good against us and he rarely played on McDavids line.

Those 2 players are not comparable.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
It will be interesting to see where this goes. There are stretches still when I really like how he attacks the game and I feel that there is more there but there are other times I get to the end of a Flames game and don’t remember him. 21 is too young to write a guy off but like some have mentioned maybe he does need a fresh start?

Flames could really use a break out season by Sam Bennett next year.

THall4

Feb 25, 2014
Edmonton, AB
The 21yr old has points in six of his last seven games. Looks like he is starting to turn his season around. I remember HF going crazy at him for his slow start to the season. He's still young and still has lot's of potential. Good to see him playing well now.
The Yakupov special.

Always ends the season on a hot note to tickled the you know what of fans...Bennett is no different.

If hes a Flamer next season...it'll be the same old story again until March.
IMO I think they deal him this summer.

Reactions: Oilers Propagandist

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Bennett had red flags from back then. I argued this to the death with oilers fans at the time. Most of the board wanted Bennett because he was gritty and physical and played a “two way game”. Anyone who’s that small and is playing that kind of game in junior has bust potential because not everyone is Mike Richards and even Richards fell off a cliff eventually. Draisaitl to me was clearly the best prospect between him and the sams. He was singlenandedly dragging a team completely devoid of talent on his back and was the most productive of the 3.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA

The one time I'd rather have had the higher pick than you guys. I wanted Bennett or Draisaitl, depending on who fell to us. Was just fine with Bennett, it's unfortunate he hasn't lived up to his potential. He has one more season to figure it out, otherwise I don't see us hesitating to trade his RFA rights in the 2019 offseason to upgrade our top 6 RW.

It's disappointing that he is like this during the season, because the kid is a total beast in the playoffs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad