Sam Bennett on a hot streak

MR4

Oct 20, 2014
HF went 'crazy at him' due to his last season. 7 games doesn't make Bennett a great season

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
maybe its just a hot streak, like in the title

Yes it is likely a "hot streak" in terms of him not likely scoring over a PPG for the rest of this career, but it isn't "just a hot streak" as he isn't going to go back to zero points in 15 games.

This isn't surprising to those that actually watched him play rather than just looking at stats and coming up with the scorching-est hot take. He had been playing well all year and the production was always going to end up coming.

I am not sure he will ever reach his ceiling people had for him coming out of the draft but he is certainly not a bust and doesn't have "the rest of the season to sort it out."

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
He's an exception not the rule. Most forwards that aren't good by 22 never will be. Bennett has the rest of this season to sort it out or he's approaching bust territory.
Perhaps you missed the OP, but he's sorted it out. Ever since he moved to wing.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
I'll believe you once he keeps this up for the rest of the year. 7 games is an incredibly small sample size.

Sure. Don't blame you.

He's also at 11 points in the last 15 games for what it's worth, with pretty much zero PP time. Plenty of us Flames fans who are hopeful though. We'll see if he can keep it up.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I'll believe you once he keeps this up for the rest of the year. 7 games is an incredibly small sample size.
Well, it's not really 7 games at this point. But by that token, so was the 14 games without a point at the start of the year, which you can also toss out the window. It seems likely that he hits 40 points this year, which after his dreadful start would be very encouraging. Then, hopefully, he hits the ground running the following year (a contract year) and we really see what he's capable of.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
Well, it's not really 7 games at this point. But by that token, so was the 14 games without a point at the start of the year, which you can also toss out the window. It seems likely that he hits 40 points this year, which after his dreadful start would be very encouraging. Then, hopefully, he hits the ground running the following year (a contract year) and we really see what he's capable of.
14 games is quite a bit bigger than 7 games and you seem to forget last season's 26 points

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009

Was enough for leafs fans to think Nylander would be a ppg player easily, guess sample size does matter eh.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
14 games is quite a bit bigger than 7 games and you seem to forget last season's 26 points

You the 26 points he scored when he was 20?

Why are you ignoring the season before with 18-18-36 at 19.

Its almost like he is a young guy still developing and he might go through some ups and downs.

Reactions: MatthewFlames

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Bennett is also playing almost entirely on the 3rd line and with no PP time. If he puts up 40 points this year, under those kind of conditions, not only we'll he not be a bust, but he'll be looking like he has a pretty bright future.

PsYcNeT

The No-Fun Zone
Jan 24, 2007
I like how literally every front page thread is now a "Get your opinion shat on by Leaf fans, also maybe some other people might comment" thread.

Anyway, not sure we needed two Bennett threads, but it's good to see him putting it together. Not gonna plan the parade until he does it for at least half a season though, and even then I'll be cautious.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
He's an exception not the rule. Most forwards that aren't good by 22 never will be. Bennett has the rest of this season to sort it out or he's approaching bust territory.

This really isnt true, while the majority of stars are elite by 22 it doesnt mean the player wont turn out in his mid 20's.

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
He wasn't as bad as the stats said the first 15 games just like how 11 ES points in 15 games on the 3rd line isn't sustainable either.

Not only did he have bad luck but you just can't compare Vertseeg - Bennett - Brouwer to Bennett - Jankowski - Jagr/Hathaway. It's just a completely different line that is infinitely better.

Won't know what we have for another 18 months. I expect Bennett - Jankowski - Tkachuk will be our 2nd line by then.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria

Yes, but as I said, it's not a 7 game sample size at this point. 11 points in 15 games now, which is 60 point pace. In addition, there is no reason to 'forget' anything. He's a guy that has shown really good stretches, and he's gone through really bad stretches. Both are equally relevant in projecting him.

Last edited:

Tkachuky

Dec 30, 2009
In the Dome
Bennett will be just fine. Funny people watch him once or twice when he plays against their team when he may have a sub par game. With an already bad view on the player, of course it only gets worse.

I am very happy how he is playing this year and recently he has been one of the best Flames players.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad