Sam Bennett on a hot streak

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Bennett had red flags from back then. I argued this to the death with oilers fans at the time. Most of the board wanted Bennett because he was gritty and physical and played a “two way game”. Anyone who’s that small and is playing that kind of game in junior has bust potential because not everyone is Mike Richards and even Richards fell off a cliff eventually. Draisaitl to me was clearly the best prospect between him and the sams. He was singlenandedly dragging a team completely devoid of talent on his back and was the most productive of the 3.

I know you guys get this comment all the time, but if Bennett played with McDavid or RNH (hypothetically saying you picked him 2014), then he would have thrived as a top 6 LW. Bennett is a passenger, not a driver. That's the main difference between him and Draisaitl. Slot Bennett with the right line mates and you see the potential. When he is playing alongside Gaudreau/Tkachuk/Monahan or even Jagr he plays outstanding. Put him with Brouwer/bottom 6 plugs and you're going to get the results we've seen. He was able to play with Jankowski and Hathaway for the majority of this season, but these guys were both just learning the NHL game. Bennett had to be the driver, and he isn't one.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
The Yakupov special.

Always ends the season on a hot note to tickled the you know what of fans...Bennett is no different.

If hes a Flamer next season...it'll be the same old story again until March.
IMO I think they deal him this summer.
I'm giving Bennett another year. I know we hear the same old story, but honestly, it can only go better from here, no? I expect him to get 40 points next season. The bright side is he won't cost as much as Draisaitl. That's the only bright side I've got at this point.

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
The Yakupov special.

Always ends the season on a hot note to tickled the you know what of fans...Bennett is no different.

I know that for Oilers the season was usually over in December (when that was posted), so I understand why that might have seen like a end of season streak.

Reactions: BobColesNasalCavity

THall4

Feb 25, 2014
Edmonton, AB
I know that for Oilers the season was usually over in December (when that was posted), so I understand why that might have seen like a end of season streak.
Hilariously unoriginal. Much like calling the Flamers The Houston Flames.

My point was that Yakupov is completely useless outside of a 1 month span, usually in March...Bennett is the same. In his case, it was December

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
Hilariously unoriginal. Much like calling the Flamers The Houston Flames.

My point was that Yakupov is completely useless outside of a 1 month span, usually in March...Bennett is the same. In his case, it was December

You shoud have written it that way instead of saying

And maybe that joke was unoriginal but the setup you gave was so beautiful I just couldn't resist ;)

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
I'm sure Flames keep him until they are sure they can get nothing out of him (much like we did with Yakupov). No point in trading him for the little to no value coming back. Worth more in the organization than he is outside.

That's pretty much my standard answer to every Bennett trade proposal. He's not worth much at the moment, so it makes sense to keep him and hope he can improve.

THall4

Feb 25, 2014
Edmonton, AB
You shoud have written it that way instead of saying

And maybe that joke was unoriginal but the setup you gave was so beautiful I just couldn't resist ;)
Hey man..if I tee'd up a onetimer right in your wheel house for you to take..id expect you take it. lol

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
I'm sure Flames keep him until they are sure they can get nothing out of him (much like we did with Yakupov). No point in trading him for the little to no value coming back. Worth more in the organization than he is outside.

The difference between Yakupov and Bennett is that Bennett can still play a valuable role in the bottom six. Yakupov's only skill is putting up points on the first line. If he can't do that he's useless. Bennett, on the other hand, brings grit, forechecking, fighting, checking, etc...

Obviously the hope with Bennett was that he would do all of those things and be a 1st line talent. If that doesn't work out, Bennett is a disappointment but not a total bust.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
The Yakupov special.

Yeah and soon the Pulju special if you want to play that game.

Snakepit

Nov 19, 2013
I'm pretty much over Bennett personally. Od be on the ''trade him' side but it's not like he'd fetch much barring a Lazar like over payment.

He could turn into a nice complimentry middle 6 player if he had decent linemates but considering one point he was supposed to be better than Monahan that's extremely dissapointing

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I just looked at Sam on hockey db. 26 points again eh?
This guy desperately needs change. Us Oiler fans know it when we see it. Nail Yakupov bad.

The Yakupov special.

This is for the two of you and your Oiler brethren that keep making this same stupid comment ad nauseam.

Bennett unlike Yak, has other tools to contribute to an NHL team. He plays physically and he is fairly sound defensively. For that reason comparing him to Yak is stupid. If you insist on trying to troll us with he's like our garbage crap, at least use MPS because at least then you will have a chance at being right.

THall4

Feb 25, 2014
Edmonton, AB
This is for the two of you and your Oiler brethren that keep making this same stupid comment ad nauseam.

Bennett unlike Yak, has other tools to contribute to an NHL team. He plays physically and he is fairly sound defensively. For that reason comparing him to Yak is stupid. If you insist on trying to troll us with he's like our garbage crap, at least use MPS because at least then you will have a chance at being right.
Your confusing yourself man.

We, or myself at least wasn't comparing Bennett to Yakupov. As I eluded to already earlier, my point was that Yakupov is completely useless outside of a 1 month span during the season...Bennett is the same. Thus, it tickles their respective fan basis thoughts of the players making them think they have more in them.

Playing styles have nothing to do with that I was referring to.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Your confusing yourself man.

We, or myself at least wasn't comparing Bennett to Yakupov. As I eluded to already earlier, my point was that Yakupov is completely useless outside of a 1 month span during the season...Bennett is the same. Thus, it tickles their respective fan basis thoughts of the players making them think they have more in them.

Playing styles have nothing to do with that I was referring to.

But Bennett isn't completely useless. When he's not playing like a top line player, he's playing like an effective 3rd line energy guy. The same cannot be said for Yakupov.

guzzy

Jul 6, 2005
I love the oilers fans trashing Bennett. Calgary has only ever picked in the top five once. Bennett doesn't look like an all star but he will be a serviceable player. This is the one time that the Oilers made the right choice in the draft by going off the board. Of course you want to throw shade at Calgary when you made the mistakes of drafting RNH over Gaudreau, or Yak over anyone else in the draft, hell, there can even be arguments made for Seguin over Hall. But that's ok, keep trashing the Flames for one bad choice.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad