Sam Bennett is not a bust.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
You are using a sample size of less than 20 games in most cases. That is generally worthless. He is a massive disappointment for his draft position. You also ignore context in some key cases. I mean, yes, Larkin only has 1 goal in the playoffs but he also played his only series as a 19-year-old rookie. Bennett's overall line has generally been a drag for the Flames in the playoffs losing the possession and gf% battle.

Because literally no one else in his draft class has more games played? It's not like I picked these numbers out of the air, they are are all their entire careers. I posted Larkin and Reinhart because they are in his class, obviously they haven't had as many runs. You're the only one ignoring context if you will say his line is dragging the Flames down. His advanced stats are tops on the Flames, his 2 linemates are both dead last. Not his fault he gets dog shit linemates.

But everyone can keep calling him out and making yourselves look dumber.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Because literally no one else in his draft class has more games played? It's not like I picked these numbers out of the air, they are are all their entire careers. I posted Larkin and Reinhart because they are in his class, obviously they haven't had as many runs. You're the only one ignoring context if you will say his line is dragging the Flames down. His advanced stats are tops on the Flames, his 2 linemates are both dead last. Not his fault he gets dog **** linemates.

It kinda is his fault he has them as linemates, if he was a better player, he would play higher in the lineup and have better linemates.

Reactions: klozge and Snakepit

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Because literally no one else in his draft class has more games played? It's not like I picked these numbers out of the air, they are are all their entire careers. I posted Larkin and Reinhart because they are in his class, obviously they haven't had as many runs. You're the only one ignoring context if you will say his line is dragging the Flames down. His advanced stats are tops on the Flames, his 2 linemates are both dead last. Not his fault he gets dog **** linemates.

People call him out because he was a 4th overall pick and is a 3rd liner.

His possession stats aren't great. They aren't the top on the Flames. I guess he'd do well in per 60 stats, but those are pretty much useless to look at in a 5 game sample.

Pointing to 20 playoff games which a significant portion was played in the 1st round as an argument for him being a playoff warrior and not being a disappointment and people refuting that, isn't making people look dumb. Why should we focus on 20 games, compared to how he has dramatically been outplayed by most of his draft class or 200 or so regular season games.

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
Anyone whose paid attention knows he's not a bust, disappointing for our highest pick ever? Sure. But he's not a bust. He is a legit NHLer that I want to be a a Flame for the next ten years.

Guy's just had rough luck. Our 4 best players play his position and had instant chemistry. Gaudreau/Monny and Tkachuk/Backlund.

If any of those 4 players weren't on the team he'd have been a top 6 staple for years. But they are there and our 3rd line has been a black hole for years. I thought Janko and Neal would be the linemates he's been waiting for but they were depressingly bad this year.

20-20 for someone with his minutes and line mates is good. I really think Calgary would be a better team if they had moved Monahan to the wing and let Bennett play through his mistakes. He's not a perfect player and he's not consistent. But it's undeniable that he has game changing skill that correlates with his confidence. f***ing Glenn ruined him and I hate him for it.

I am really hoping he signs here long term this summer and they give him a legit chance to play with legit talent. Monahan is not a center.

4chandler

Apr 11, 2019
He'll always be the 'guy' that proved he would do a pull up by doing a few close grips chinups on TSN.

He couldn't do one widegrip pullup when he was under 200lbs

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
He should probably be a 20-20 player once before people keep calling him that.

Take his draft position out of it and he’s a decent third liner. I’m not gonna get into a semantics argument but he’s definitely not the guy Flames fans were hoping for at fourth overall.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
He is definitely a bust if he does nothing during the regular season and just plays well during the playoffs.

Im not sure why comparing his playoffs numbers to guys like Larkin and Reinhart is relevant, given they have 5 games played between them.

LOL..does nothing in the regular season? He is not a star but a very solid player. At 22 he has some room to grow still

Evincar

I have found the way
Aug 10, 2012
LOL..does nothing in the regular season? He is not a star but a very solid player. At 22 he has some room to grow still

He's a 30 point player who takes lots of penalties and isnt good defensively. Thats pretty solid for some random guy who plays in the bottom 6, but for a guy who was drafted high thats definitely way below expectations.

Yeah he's 22 but he needs to make some major strides in his development and fast.

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
If Bennett ever completely figures it out he is going to be awesome. Confusing player though. He might benefit from a Sport's Psychologist.

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
Sam Bennett is one of the biggest disappointments in recent history considering the player he was projected to be. Especially after 19 year old Sam Bennett jokes. I thought he would have been bust proof as in for sure top 6 forward.

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
I dunno. They are Hockey Players. Sometimes people forget the mental side of the whole thing. Look at Getzlaf.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad