Sam Bennett is not a bust.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
Just because I see people all the time talking about how much of a bust Benny is, I'll post some stats to compare others from his draft class come playoff time

Sam Bennett 6g 5 a, 11 points in 20 games.

Nik Ehlers 0g 7a, 7 points in 20 games.

Willy Nylander 3g 7a, 10 points in 18 games.

Larkin 1 goal in 5 games.

Reinhart never made the playoffs.

Drai (who went higher) is the obvious stand out, as is Pasta as both are over a point per game.

I'm not saying Bennett is a superstar either, it's still only 11 points in 20 games (11 of those games were during his rookie season), but he also plays like 12 minutes a game. My point is when the hockey actually matters, Bennett shows up and plays well, hits and puts points up.

P.S. I chose these guys 'cause they are the most talked about, guys like Fiala and Ritchie also have pretty bad playoff stats. Even Alex Tuch in 5 more games played than Benny has 1 more point.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
He's not a bust, he just is a major disappointment for his draft position.

True, but of all the players drafted after Bennett , only Pasta has a higher point per game average than Benny in the playoffs.

IMO he can put up 20 points in the regular season for the rest of his career if he has the type of playoffs he has had his three campaigns.

Ace of Hades

#Demko4Vezina
Apr 27, 2010
Oregon
Not a bust, but a disappointment.

In fairness to him, he was definitely one of the Flames's best player in the playoffs.

Evincar

I have found the way
Aug 10, 2012
Just because I see people all the time talking about how much of a bust Benny is, I'll post some stats to compare others from his draft class come playoff time

Sam Bennett 6g 5 a, 11 points in 20 games.

Nik Ehlers 0g 7a, 7 points in 20 games.

Willy Nylander 3g 7a, 10 points in 18 games.

Larkin 1 goal in 5 games.

Reinhart never made the playoffs.

Drai (who went higher) is the obvious stand out, as is Pasta as both are over a point per game.

I'm not saying Bennett is a superstar either, it's still only 11 points in 20 games (11 of those games were during his rookie season), but he also plays like 12 minutes a game. My point is when the hockey actually matters, Bennett shows up and plays well, hits and puts points up.

He is definitely a bust if he does nothing during the regular season and just plays well during the playoffs.

Im not sure why comparing his playoffs numbers to guys like Larkin and Reinhart is relevant, given they have 5 games played between them.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
The offensive ability never translated to the NHL but he's a solid second/third line tweener with good physicality.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
True, but of all the players drafted after Bennett , only Pasta has a higher point per game average than Benny in the playoffs.

IMO he can put up 20 points in the regular season for the rest of his career if he has the type of playoffs he has had his three campaigns.
You are using a sample size of less than 20 games in most cases. That is generally worthless. He is a massive disappointment for his draft position. You also ignore context in some key cases. I mean, yes, Larkin only has 1 goal in the playoffs but he also played his only series as a 19-year-old rookie. Bennett's overall line has generally been a drag for the Flames in the playoffs losing the possession and gf% battle.

DakrSnooze

Aug 27, 2011
Whitehorse
Love the scrappy element he brings to the game. Maybe with some more ice time and continued development he can see his offensive numbers jump a little.

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
Regular season though:

Bennett: 55-61-116 in 312
Ehlers: 90-109-199 in 298
Nylander: 55-107-162 in 239
Larkin: 88-125-213 in 318
Reinhart: 87-118-205 in 331

Bennett was drafted above everyone there except Reinhart. He's a fine player but not a great 4OA.

treple13

Sep 1, 2013
Bennett's overall line has generally been a drag for the Flames in the playoffs losing the possession and gf% battle.

Not really a super fair thing given Neal and Jankowski were the Flames worst two forwards. Of course his line is losing by those metrics. He did his best to make it work and the first line also looked way better with him there than Lindholm during the short time that happened.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Not really a super fair thing given Neal and Jankowski were the Flames worst two forwards. Of course his line is losing by those metrics. He did his best to make it work and the first line also looked way better with him there than Lindholm during the short time that happened.
His line has never performed at an elite level in the playoffs. Never being positive possession or gf% wise. Obviously, playing with Neal isn't ideal, but to say he's not a massive disappointment because of 20 games primarily played in the 1st round of the playoffs is a reach.

Snakepit

Nov 19, 2013
I'm a Flames fan and I'm not very high on Bennett. His performance in the playoffs improves his stock to me but it doesn't erase how dissapointing he's been otherwise. I'm interested in seeing how he does next year now that he seemed to find his role, I just hope he finds his offense.

Will be interesting to see what he gets for a new contract. I hope he doesn't get much of a raise.

treple13

Sep 1, 2013
His line has never performed at an elite level in the playoffs. Never being positive possession or gf% wise. Obviously, playing with Neal isn't ideal, but to say he's not a massive disappointment because of 20 games primarily played in the 1st round of the playoffs is a reach.

He's looked excellent in all three playoff years. You just have to watch him play and you can see it. Putting the mistakes of his two terrible linemates this year, or his even more terrible goaltender two years ago, is a bit silly.

The sample size is obviously small. But he plays like a completely different player the second the postseason hits and it's a very effective player.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
He's looked excellent in all three playoff years. You just have to watch him play and you can see it. Putting the mistakes of his two terrible linemates this year, or his even more terrible goaltender two years ago, is a bit silly.

The sample size is obviously small. But he plays like a completely different player the second the postseason hits and it's a very effective player.

It's a 20-20 pace that gets beaten at ES. That's "very effective"?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->