Sam Bennett is not a bust.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Because literally no one else in his draft class has more games played? It's not like I picked these numbers out of the air, they are are all their entire careers. I posted Larkin and Reinhart because they are in his class, obviously they haven't had as many runs. You're the only one ignoring context if you will say his line is dragging the Flames down. His advanced stats are tops on the Flames, his 2 linemates are both dead last. Not his fault he gets dog **** linemates.

But everyone can keep calling him out and making yourselves look dumber.

Right, just ignore the fact that peters stapled him to that 2nd line for a third of the season and he largely did nothing in that time and dragged that entire line’s offense down. He’s a 3rd liner who still could (but unlikely) figure it out, but give me a break about the lack of opportunity and poor line mates.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
You are using a sample size of less than 20 games in most cases. That is generally worthless. He is a massive disappointment for his draft position. You also ignore context in some key cases. I mean, yes, Larkin only has 1 goal in the playoffs but he also played his only series as a 19-year-old rookie. Bennett's overall line has generally been a drag for the Flames in the playoffs losing the possession and gf% battle.

Larkin also played on the heavily favored against team the Wings were that year.

teravaineSAROS

Jul 29, 2015
According to Hfboards all 1st and 2nd rounders have to be consistent top 6 forwards / top 4 defensemen or else they're busts.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
He's a 30 point player who takes lots of penalties and isnt good defensively. Thats pretty solid for some random guy who plays in the bottom 6, but for a guy who was drafted high thats definitely way below expectations.

Yeah he's 22 but he needs to make some major strides in his development and fast.

His point total is fine for the ice time he got. It's actually good considering the linemates he is playing with.
LOL about taking lots of penalties. He is the Flames designated tough guy. One of the few on the team that stands up for his teammates. He cut down on the bad penalties substantially this year. Anybody who complains about this doesnt understand or watch the Flames.
Yes, he was a disappointment as a high draft pick but his stock on the Flames is going up everyday...As a Flames fan, I am very happy with him

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Sam Bennett certainly not what you'd hope to get when picking 4th overall. The 2014 draft was a bit weak overall so i guess not the worst thing in the world.

Sweetpotato

Jan 10, 2014
Edmonton
He is a disappointment for where he was drafted.

I'll take all of his regular season time over 20 games especially since those 20 games are underwhelming to begin with.

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse
This is one of the best cherry-picking stats of all time...

Bennett has carved out a niche role which is great. The only question is does a niche player at that draft position equal a bust or just a disappointment?

You comparing him to his peers does him no good.

Cuphead

Jul 16, 2010
He'll always be the 'guy' that proved he would do a pull up by doing a few close grips chinups on TSN.

He couldn't do one widegrip pullup when he was under 200lbs

I feel like that is probably not what he’ll be widely remembered for.

Us gym brahs will never forgive it.

And it's really the highlight of his career, it even made ESPN

its a harrowing story of crushing humiliation, perseverance, and redemption. a once top prospect slapped in the face by gravity. sitting at rock bottom, from the 4th overall selection, sam picked... no, PULLED himself up from the gutter. humbled by the experience, sam dedicated himself to his craft (insert rocky style movie training montage)

while his peers were out at parties, dating models, and playing fortnight, sam was putting in work (and also partying, dating models, and doing various other young rich people things) waiting for the day when his blood sweat and tears would pay off.

(cue eminem, "lose yourself")

and when the dust settled, that young millionaire could do TWO pull ups. (and score at a blistering .37 ppg clip)

Reactions: 4chandler

4chandler

Apr 11, 2019
Are people still ignoring the fact that he needed shoulder surgery?

I mean, criticize his disappointing play, there are many legitimate reasons to trash talk the guy, no need to make one up.
Gunna drop some Bro Science...

A pull up... is a pulling motion, it's a back/posterior chain exercise

Shoulders are pushing muscles so you don't use them on a pull up.

That's why people have push/pull splits when they lift

He wasn't so injured that he couldn't go to the combine, so he had a minor shoulder injury, no effect on pull up

Mind blown, make more excuses... I'm really good at posting, I'm going keep doing it here.

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
Gunna drop some Bro Science...

A pull up... is a pulling motion, it's a back/posterior chain exercise

Shoulders are pushing muscles so you don't use them on a pull up.

That's why people have push/pull splits when they lift

He wasn't so injured that he couldn't go to the combine, so he had a minor shoulder injury, no effect on pull up

Mind blown, make more excuses... I'm really good at posting, I'm going keep doing it here.

I can't even tell but I assume this is sarcasm.

He missed almost a full year. It's a joke, hes not 19 years old either

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Are people still ignoring the fact that he needed shoulder surgery?

I mean, criticize his disappointing play, there are many legitimate reasons to trash talk the guy, no need to make one up.
No one is making up his failure to do a pull up, it happened

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011
4th overall on average tends to produce a 2nd/3rd liner, so I'd say he is right on pace for an average career for a 4th over.

Look at the 10 previous to him, Seth Jones, Griffin Reinhart, Adam Larrson, Ryan Johansen, Evander Kane, Peitrelangelo, Hickey, Backstrom, Poulliot, Ladd, Zherdev. He is better than several, worse than several. He certainly will not hit the highs of a Jones or Backstrom, but he is also far beyond Hickey and Reinhart.

Teams would like to do betterm, but its not always in the cards.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
4th overall on average tends to produce a 2nd/3rd liner, so I'd say he is right on pace for an average career for a 4th over.

Look at the 10 previous to him, Seth Jones, Griffin Reinhart, Adam Larrson, Ryan Johansen, Evander Kane, Peitrelangelo, Hickey, Backstrom, Poulliot, Ladd, Zherdev. He is better than several, worse than several. He certainly will not hit the highs of a Jones or Backstrom, but he is also far beyond Hickey and Reinhart.

Bennett is far below average in that group.

Carl Carlson

Jan 7, 2009
For where he was selected he's been poor. If he was selected mid to late first round I think people would say he's ok. A top 5 pick that isn't producing well is going to be bashed and rightfully so. You expect more.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto

He's pretty clearly behind Ryjo and Pietrangelo. Evander Kane and Ladd are also better players.

I'd also say you can't just look at the 4th overall spot. For whatever reasons, 5th overall have been a better pick in that time frame. It's probably best to look at it as a group of 3OA to 5OA. I mean, for example, in that same time frame for 5th OA there was Vanek, Wheeler, Price, Kessel, Alzner, L. Schenn, B. Schenn, Niederreiter, Ryan Strome, Rielly, and Elias Lindholm. The only one he's been better than are L. Schenn, and Ryan Strome, and even those are debatable. He's clearly better than Dal Colle. Also, 4th overall in the years after produced Marner and B. Tkachuk. Puljujarvi is questionable, and Makar looks like a stud.

In the top 5, the expectation should be to leave with a top line forward (or a high-end #2 center), a top pairing D-man or a starting goalie. They aren't all going to hit at that level, but it should be the expectations.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Bennett: 55g/116pts in 312 games
Nylander: 55g/162pts in 239 games

so sam has played 73 more games to have the same amount of goals, and 46 less points

solid comparable. you expect more than a 25-35pt 3rd line grinder from a top 5 pick especially when guys like nylander,ehlers,larkin, tuch, schmaltz and pasta were available.

here is a good one. Kapanen, picked #22, who apparently was never gonna be more than a 4th liner/AHLer

28g/54pts in 133 games (66G/127pt pace across 312 games)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad