Sam Bennett Available

Status
Not open for further replies.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
I’m sure Dubas is looking, but that doesn’t mean he likes the price of the guys he’s asking about. If Leafs end up standing pat, it doesn’t make anyone look dumb, it just means Dubas wouldn’t pay the prices asked.

Given a) the expansion draft limiting protection options, b) nice depth of both A and B prospects, c) Dubas never minding trading a late 1st.......I doubt Dubey will come up short.

He paid the price for Muzzin in year one and campbell/Clifford in year 2 and would have made a bigger move if the team was playing well.

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
Bennett has always been capable of this type of play and has shown glimpses in the past. It's the sustained great play that has always been missing.

That being said, the hot takes in here were truly something. Bust? C'mon now.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Just by chance I came across this trade deadline STEAL by happenstance ... Sam Bennett 6 goals, 9 assists in 10 games, +12, 15.4% SH%... the guy is on a heater.

Who was right on this guy, who was wrong?

Reactions: Leafsfan74

Its not your fault

Nov 24, 2016
Just by chance I came across this trade deadline STEAL by happenstance ... Sam Bennett 6 goals, 9 assists in 10 games, +12, 15.4% SH%... the guy is on a heater.

Honestly sometimes it's the right system and time and place. He found it he might not have here. Granted he works hard.

And Calgary lost

Reactions: Prominence

MR4

Oct 20, 2014
Why is there still a thread devoted to a Florida player on the Leafs forum? :laugh:

Reactions: Lumberg

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018

One of the great novelties of sports, besides playing them (which is more enjoyable than debating the pros), is the ability to debate opinions. Everyone enjoys being an armchair GM.

Who knows what the price would have been or if Dubas could make it work? However, he is a playoff performer who was in a bad situation. Perfect time to buy low. Imagine him and Foligno if it were possible? As it were, he is now going to help Florida upset Tampa, if my prognostication is correct.

Leafs have a very solid team right now, so it is what it is. Only one puck to go around.

This was my take in early February.:

"In regards to Bennett or any other player who is available that can make our team better, you ask and find out if there is a viable option to obtain him.

Leafs are in a unique position this year and if they have to move some prospects to improve, it should be done. This goes for any position, that's the nature of sports and this team, though not at their peak per se, they are at a crossroad of sorts.

So, you look at where you can improve and you try to do so. I think Bennett could be a very good addition.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
One of the great novelties of sports, besides playing them (which is more enjoyable than debating the pros), is the ability to debate opinions. Everyone enjoys being an armchair GM.

Who knows what the price would have been or if Dubas could make it work? However, he is a playoff performer who was in a bad situation. Perfect time to buy low. Imagine him and Foligno if it were possible? As it were, he is now going to help Florida upset Tampa, if my prognostication is correct.

Leafs have a very solid team right now, so it is what it is. Only one puck to go around.

This was my take in early February.:

"In regards to Bennett or any other player who is available that can make our team better, you ask and find out if there is a viable option to obtain him.

Leafs are in a unique position this year and if they have to move some prospects to improve, it should be done. This goes for any position, that's the nature of sports and this team, though not at their peak per se, they are at a crossroad of sorts.

So, you look at where you can improve and you try to do so. I think Bennett could be a very good addition.

:win:

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
What?

Scoring 50 goals in a year is good. Doesn't matter how anyone wants to interpret it.

That's just a way to dismiss facts that disprove the opinion you want to have.

Maybe he should say "some" stats are only as good as the person interpreting them. You can infer your/my own bias into any stat, if you are looking for something there is a stat out there that will prove you right.

I like to use Nick Kulemin's, 2010-11, 30 goal season to illustrate how stats can be misinterpreted. If you look at the 30 goals, forget the name, you would probably come to the conclusion this guy is a 1st liner. We all know that Nick never was a 1st liner but did have a year that had 1st line stats.

Stats often tell you what you want to know, the trick is to be able to remove your bias and let multiple stats answer the question you are asking. Many stats in isolation can lead you/me/us to draw the wrong conclusion.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
Maybe he should say "some" stats are only as good as the person interpreting them.

Yeah and those "some" are usually the ones that fly in the face of the opinion that people want to have.

I like to use Nick Kulemin's, 2010-11, 30 goal season to illustrate how stats can be misinterpreted. If you look at the 30 goals, forget the name, you would probably come to the conclusion this guy is a 1st liner. We all know that Nick never was a 1st liner but did have a year that had 1st line stats.

But if you are looking at the stats, then you'll look at the years before and after that too and realize he isn't a top liner. Why would anyone even try to evaluate a player based on one single season goal total with nothing else? That isn't an argument against facts.

The answer to not enough stats, is more stats. You don't just throw out the facts and go with your feelings. That's just for lazy people who want to believe whatever they want to believe.

justashadowof

Aug 15, 2020
I'm not ignoring the point made using Kulemin as an example, it was a valid example, but I'll forgive Leafs' fans for getting over-excited about Kulemin's 30 goals. They thought he was reaching his water level rather than having a career year. He had scored 27 goals in 54 games in the KHL at 20 followed up by another 20 then he was on pace for similar production in a season interrupted by a broken leg (if I remember correctly).

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

Looks like Florida did a better job reclaiming him than the Everglades.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Yeah and those "some" are usually the ones that fly in the face of the opinion that people want to have.

But if you are looking at the stats, then you'll look at the years before and after that too and realize he isn't a top liner. Why would anyone even try to evaluate a player based on one single season goal total with nothing else? That isn't an argument against facts.

The answer to not enough stats, is more stats. You don't just throw out the facts and go with your feelings. That's just for lazy people who want to believe whatever they want to believe.

It was his 3rd year in the pros after scoring 15, 16 and then 30, not unusual to see players break out in their 2nd, 3rd years, hindsight would tell you Nik was not a 1st liner but if you went on the linear goal scoring that he had, you might take a guess he might become a 1st liner.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Why is there still a thread devoted to a Florida player on the Leafs forum? :laugh:
A reclamation project who needed a change of scenery and an Ontario-born boy on top of it all. Dubas would have done well to acquire him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad