Sam Bennett Available

Status
Not open for further replies.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
if it were Dreger, I'd be skeptical at best
Friedman usually knows his stuff

Friedge gonna look real dumb if the Leafs stand pat or trade for a depth dman at the TDL. Too much smoke for me not to believe Dubas is looking for a top 6 forward.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
How do you figure?
Both players are replacement level.

Yeah I would say replacement level. But Bennett has some unique attributes that I think Toronto would have less of than whatever Galchenyuk is supposed to bring if he does work out.

GBLeaf

Feb 13, 2014
England, GB.
I've got a feeling Bennett would just work here. If it's true he wants to be a Darcy Tucker-esque player, he's an Ontario boy.

Just one I think could be a feel-good move where he elevates his game and in the play-offs when refs put their whistles away and teams are going to come test Toronto and see who will stand up and be counted. I think he would do just that.

axlrose87

Jul 13, 2018
I've got a feeling Bennett would just work here. If it's true he wants to be a Darcy Tucker-esque player, he's an Ontario boy.

Just one I think could be a feel-good move where he elevates his game and in the play-offs when refs put their whistles away and teams are going to come test Toronto and see who will stand up and be counted. I think he would do just that.
I agree with this.
But I am starting to think that the best way to acquire him will be as a free agent in the offseason.
Calgary will not qualify at $2.6 million (unless they are even more dysfunctional than we think) and he can be signed for close to league minimum on a prove it deal.
We cannot give up meaningful assets for him. Engvall is much more valuable. So is kerfoot. The only trade I would make is vesey for Bennett at half salary retained.
Calgary probably wants more. He isn’t worth more.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
All these leafs fans craving a bust like Bennett when Dubas is hunting for Taylor Halls.

GBLeaf

Feb 13, 2014
England, GB.
Taylor Hall is a talent. But this team already has a good number of top-end talent. Will he end up taking minutes away from that talent?

He's been a perennial loser, maybe it's become ingrained? Personally, i'd like to see someone with more character added.

Marshy

Behind Enemy Lines
Oct 3, 2007
Ottawa
With Sutter behind the bench maybe Bennett gets a clean slate and is off the market for now?

Edit: NVM I see others already commented on that.... didn't go back and check the previous page.

usernamezrhardtodo

Mar 26, 2014
Taylor Hall is a talent. But this team already has a good number of top-end talent. Will he end up taking minutes away from that talent?

He's been a perennial loser, maybe it's become ingrained? Personally, i'd like to see someone with more character added.

Meh...I don't want a guy who signs in Buffalo...has a horrible season..and then says he is open to signing with them long term. Does this guy just like tire fires or does he bring a torch with him to a new team? He failed to do anything of substance when he went to Arizona and Buffalo...I would stay away from him. He is the Tyson Barrie of forwards IMO.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005

Kinda Peak leafs there - we need more Sam Bennetts but not Taylor Halls.

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
All these leafs fans craving a bust like Bennett when Dubas is hunting for Taylor Halls.

Great if Dubas is hunting (and lands) big game but as far as Bennett goes, some were saying the same thing about Bogo and Simmonds and are now singing a different tune.

Reactions: ACC1224

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Great if Dubas is hunting (and lands) big game but as far as Bennett goes, some were saying the same thing about Bogo and Simmonds and are now singing a different tune.

Maybe you're trying to call me out on Simmonds? I dunno. I'm happy that the former multi-30gl guy elite fighter got healthy. Doesn't have anything to do with an undersized bust like Bennett tho.

And definitely doesn't work for Bogo since I always liked that signing.

Anyways, if you prefer Simmonds to Nylander you're part of the problem.

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Maybe you're trying to call me out on Simmonds? I dunno. I'm happy that the former multi-30gl guy elite fighter got healthy. Doesn't have anything to do with an undersized bust like Bennett tho.

And definitely doesn't work for Bogo since I always liked that signing.

Anyways, if you prefer Simmonds to Nylander you're part of the problem.

Not calling you out. Just saying Bennett may not be as bad as you think he is. Then you go off and make a ridiculous statement out of nowhere. Sigh.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Friedge gonna look real dumb if the Leafs stand pat or trade for a depth dman at the TDL. Too much smoke for me not to believe Dubas is looking for a top 6 forward.

I’m sure Dubas is looking, but that doesn’t mean he likes the price of the guys he’s asking about. If Leafs end up standing pat, it doesn’t make anyone look dumb, it just means Dubas wouldn’t pay the prices asked.

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
I’m sure Dubas is looking, but that doesn’t mean he likes the price of the guys he’s asking about. If Leafs end up standing pat, it doesn’t make anyone look dumb, it just means Dubas wouldn’t pay the prices asked.

Sure Dubas would be a fool to overpay but Friedge said it will be a buyer's market. Personally I see Dubas getting a (good) trade done before the TDL.

Reactions: Menzinger
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad