Sam Bennett Available

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
He'd be decent in the bottom-six, but he makes 2.55 AAV, is not expansion exempt, needs to be qualified at 2.55 and is arbitration eligible. Oh, and his agent is Darren Ferris. I'd be fine trading Engvall or Vesey for him, but I wouldn't give up anything of value.

HarryLime

Jun 27, 2014
Halifax
I love the grit/determination he shows. most high picks don't change their game like he has to help his team when things don't work out.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Few things that need to be laid out right away:

1) He's overpaid for what he brings, and we will certainly require major retention if they want anything.
2) He is not a center, and I highly doubt he will ever be a center.
3) Even with retention, we'd have trouble fitting him into our cap structure and we'd need to send a guy with some salary back.
4) I would not count on him being anything more than a 4th liner here. That is not to say he could not become more, but anything more than 4th line should come as a surprise.

With that laid out, see what it costs to get him with 50% retention. I wouldn't put Dermott on the table and Calgary doesn't really need him. They need forward depth more, and we could offer Barabanov or Engvall on top of some mid-tier futures. Engvall is probably more intriguing to them, since he can immediately fill Bennett's spot, but they wouldn't get much on top of him.

However, I doubt Calgary moves him to a Canadian team without an overpayment. Why would they when they know we have to play against him a whole lot?

6ix

HitEmWit4LikeAustonM
Nov 26, 2014
Few things that need to be laid out right away:

1) He's overpaid for what he brings, and we will certainly require major retention if they want anything.
2) He is not a center, and I highly doubt he will ever be a center.
3) Even with retention, we'd have trouble fitting him into our cap structure and we'd need to send a guy with some salary back.
4) I would not count on him being anything more than a 4th liner here. That is not to say he could not become more, but anything more than 4th line should come as a surprise.

With that laid out, see what it costs to get him with 50% retention. I wouldn't put Dermott on the table and Calgary doesn't really need him. They need forward depth more, and we could offer Barabanov or Engvall on top of some mid-tier futures. Engvall is probably more intriguing to them, since he can immediately fill Bennett's spot, but they wouldn't get much on top of him.

However, I doubt Calgary moves him to a Canadian team without an overpayment. Why would they when they know we have to play against him a whole lot?

I’d move Mikheyev for Bennett 50% retained. Mikheyev does nothing but skate fast. Soft as butter. Can’t hit the side of a barn and was a nobody in the playoffs.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
I’d move Mikheyev for Bennett 50% retained. Mikheyev does nothing but skate fast. Soft as butter. Can’t hit the side of a barn and was a nobody in the playoffs.

Leafs should not, and almost certainly will not, move Mikheyev. Especially not for a guy like Bennett.

Mikheyev's contract alone makes him significantly more valuable than Bennett, even with retention for the rest of this year.

If Engvall or Barabanov does not interest them at all, then they are not getting a roster guy from us... And we'd need to find a way (possibly a third team) to handle our cap. More than likely they'd find a better offer elsewhere, and also would not have to deal within the division.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Is he considered a BUST? Or just a disappointing top 5 pick.

I'd say bust .. getting a 4th liner winger from a #4 OA draft pick who was a centre is beyond disappointing.

Given the Leafs limited cap space, I don't see it anything making sense. Would rather save that cap space for a more impactful top 9 winger.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad