Sam Bennett Available

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
The same Sam Bennett who we're waiting on to outscore Connor Brown? I mean, I guess if we traded for him I wouldn't be upset, but he costs too much money.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
Doesn't Sam Bennett want out because he wants a bigger role? How the heck is he going to get that in Toronto?

Thread Closed.

Reactions: Tarmore

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
Doesn't Sam Bennett want out because he wants a bigger role? How the heck is he going to get that in Toronto?

Thread Closed.

2nd PP, 3rd C , 1st PK , late game draws and regular promotions (potential to run 7 D again)

Healthy;
Hyman - Matthews - Marner
Mikhayev - Tavares - Nylander
Thornton - Bennett - Robertson
Vesey - Spezza - Simmonds

Reactions: axlrose87

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Sam Bennett isn’t much more of a fourth liner right now. He’s a much worse player than Kerfoot.

We aren’t in a position to give up assets for a reclamation project.

Reactions: stickty111

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Sam Bennett modeled his game after Dougie Gilmour and scouts used that comparable as well when he was an Ohler.

Kingston Frontenacs’ Sam Bennett modern day Doug Gilmour

Sam Bennett, who wears No. 93 for Doug Gilmour’s Kingston Frontenacs, freely admits that his knowledge of his general manager’s Hall of Fame career comes mostly through scattered videos and word of mouth. Last week, NHL central scouting released its mid-term rankings, in which Bennett was projected as the No. 1 selection in the NHL’s June draft. Hockey insiders have been using the occasion to describe Bennett as a modern-day version of the player they called Killer.

Bennett was all of seven months old when Gilmour was traded from Leafland to New Jersey in the bleak winter of 1997. Still, long before Gilmour selected Bennett with the ninth overall pick in the OHL draft a couple of years back, Gilmour’s vast legend had made a pronounced impact on Bennett’s young life.

“My dad’s a Leafs fan, and he was always giving me advice on how to play,” Bennett was saying this week. “His favourite player being Dougie Gilmour, he wanted me to play like Dougie, I guess.” “Play like Dougie.”

Todd Gill, the ex-Leaf who coaches the Frontenacs, doesn’t hesitate to invoke the comparison. “He’s got the Dougie Gilmour attitude in the sense that he can beat you in a lot of different ways — kill penalties, play on your powerplay. He makes the ship float,” Gill said.

Full story: Kingston Frontenacs’ Sam Bennett modern day Doug Gilmour: Feschuk

Reactions: TopProspect91

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
At 1.5 I'd be interested in a hail mary shot at him working out on the left of matthews and Marner.

But it's pretty much a rental deal. If it works we can't afford him, if it doesn't he's a non-tender candidate. Unless he was willing to take multiple years under 2m to get his career back on track in TO

Last edited:

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
2nd PP, 3rd C , 1st PK , late game draws and regular promotions (potential to run 7 D again)

Healthy;
Hyman - Matthews - Marner
Mikhayev - Tavares - Nylander
Thornton - Bennett - Robertson
Vesey - Spezza - Simmonds

Doesn't he do the same on Calgary?

Last edited:

Jackothy

Jun 10, 2009
I want Bennett on this team sooo bad. Been wanting him for years. Look at the amount of swagger Simmonds brought to this team, Bennett would take it to the next level.

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
I’m only interested as a Hyman-esque LW for Tavares and Nylander.

Moves Mikheyev down to the 3rd line where, IMO, he looked much better.

Don’t agree with these Kerfoot offers though since he isn’t a good 3C replacement.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Hyman Matty Mitch
Bennett JT Willie
Soup Kerfoot Simmonds
xxxxx Boyd Spezza

xxxxx is one of Engvall, Vesey, Jumbo, Barabanov, Anderson

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Interested but if he doesn't like his role in Calgary, I can't see it being all that much different here.

Playing him with JT and Willie would definitely give him a different role. Only question is whether he is up to the task. He also comes with a Kadri like edge that is lacking in our top 6.

Reactions: axlrose87

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
Have to add that this may be the perfect storm opportunity for Toronto. They have reportedly been looking for a forward with some speculation about Bobby Ryan, Bennett wouldnt have to quarantine already being in Canada, Bennett adds the type of game weve been looking for and is an RFA at contracts end. Not only that but he becomes available right as Toronto starts their week off. Potentially may have been a calculated move by Ferris, targeting Toronto as a potential landing spot.

DitchMarner

It's time.
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
I don't get the hype surrounding this guy. He's a bottom six forward and not an elite one at that. Yeah, he was a high pick and he can be rough/gritty/tenacious now and then, but so what? To me he's a slight upgrade at best over Kerfoot (whom I'm not a fan of). If they can get him for a trade similar to Kerfoot + a decent prospect or a third rounder, I'd be okay with that. But I wouldn't give up more.

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
Engvall & Vesey
For
Bennett

Bennett - Matthews - Marner
Hyman - Tavares - Nylander
Mikheyev - Kerfoot - Simmonds
Boyd - Thornton - Spezza

Reactions: cgc83 and 4thline

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
I would like the Leafs to get Sam Bennett...

...in the off-season, after Calgary decides not to qualify him because he's so overpaid, and the leafs sign him to a Jimmy Vesey-like contract.

You could trade for him at the TDL when his cap hit will be much lower. Even lower if Calgary retains. He had a good playoff last year playing on their 4th line. Perhaps a change of scenery is what he needs.

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
Playing him with JT and Willie would definitely give him a different role. Only question is whether he is up to the task. He also comes with a Kadri like edge that is lacking in our top 6.

Possibly but I think an opportunity for him may better present itself in the event we lose Hyman to free agency.

Reactions: ToneDog

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
I don't get the hype surrounding this guy. He's a bottom six forward and not an elite one at that. Yeah, he was a high pick and he can be rough/gritty/tenacious now and then, but so what? To me he's a slight upgrade at best over Kerfoot (whom I'm not a fan of). If they can get him for a trade similar to Kerfoot + a decent prospect or a third rounder, I'd be okay with that. But I wouldn't give up more.

The beginning and end of your post are much different. He isnt worth Kerfoot alone, nevermind adding... You should be giving up less.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad