Dreger: Sam Bennett and Flames contract rumors [MOD WARNING: 235]

Status
Not open for further replies.

topcheezy

Sep 3, 2017
Anyone looking at Bennett's point totals as indicative of his ability should look at the situations he was put in. He was not used in an offensive role at all, and was saddled with garbage linemates for 90% of the season.

and no doubt the team knows that, and bennett knows the team knows that, which is probably why it's so hard to come together on a number. the numbers really don't tell the whole story in this case

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton
Y'all quoting the dummies in this thread eliminates the purpose of the beautiful ignore button (which you should all familiarize yourselves with.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Back on topic, I hope that Bennett gets involved in contract talks sooner rather than later. Personally, I think the Gaudreau contract took longer because JG didn't get involved and left it completely to the agent. He said in interviews he doesn't do anything and leaves everything in the hands of the agent. Once HG got involved (After the season started), the deal was resolved within the week. The agent does not have the same relationship with the Flames (as it should be) as JG has with the Flames org and thus a holdout is IMO more to be blamed on an agent than the player. However, after a certain point, the player should get involved to avoid negotiations completely hitting stale mates.

Last edited by a moderator:

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Yes, because certain posters acting like OKG make all Flames Fans equal to him.

:rolleyes:

Every single fanbase on this board has bad posters. You choosing to come into pretty much every single thread involving the Flames is interesting though. Whatever helps you feel like a big man on the internet I suppose.

One thing this board should learn is one year does not make or break a career.
Most fans should also realize where they came from before they get the holier than thou.
Where did Crosby/Malkin,McDavid,Matthews,Eichel,MacKinnon,etc. etc.; all come from? From being lousy. Sometimes for a few years, sometimes for many.
So before they remind others of how lousy they are, remember how lousy they were. Then be happy the team is getting on the right track. We all want our Cup.

qwerty

Feb 4, 2007
Calgary
You'd be surprised how many more obnoxious Flames fans there are compared to Oilers fans. I wasn't the one comparing Draisaitl to Bennett. I can give you 3 guesses who it was from the Flames fans but you probably only need 1. :laugh:

Very strange post considering half the Flames threads get locked because Oiler fans jump in and turn it into a pissing contest. I've barely posted over the past month and this is the 2nd or 3rd time I've read this complaint.

qwerty

Feb 4, 2007
Calgary
My personal belief on this subject is that the agent (Dennis Morris) is getting desperate and is pulling the classic threat right out of the playbook. He knows Sam Bennett has no leverage and is attempting to gain something of substance to use against Treliving.

Likely won't help and Bennett will sign an affordable bridge deal like all the other comparables in his grouping. He has to know that Jankowski is hot on his tail and could take his job if he's not at camp.

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
Back on topic, I hope that Bennett gets involved in contract talks sooner rather than later. Personally, I think the Gaudreau contract took longer because JG didn't get involved and left it completely to the agent. He said in interviews he doesn't do anything and leaves everything in the hands of the agent. Once HG got involved (After the season started), the deal was resolved within the week. The agent does not have the same relationship with the Flames (as it should be) as JG has with the Flames org and thus a holdout is IMO more to be blamed on an agent than the player. However, after a certain point, the player should get involved to avoid negotiations completely hitting stale mates.

Ok, maybe it was a bit left field, but people have said Bennett will be better than Draisaitl. He was higher than Draisaitl in the draft rankings and when Edmonton passed on him, everyone from the Flames board jumped on the Oilers because Draisaitl had a 'poor' 1st season and found every possible way to throw it at us. [MOD]

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
FINAL WARNING...

Any more flaming, trolling, and/or spam will get you an infraction and kicked out of the thread.

Last edited:

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Ok, maybe it was a bit left field, but people have said Bennett will be better than Draisaitl. He was higher than Draisaitl in the draft rankings and when Edmonton passed on him, everyone from the Flames board jumped on the Oilers because Draisaitl had a 'poor' 1st season and found every possible way to throw it at us. [MOD]

[MOD]

Regarding Bennett's contract, I wonder if there are a plethora of non term or salary issues to discuss. Things like quality of line mates, or opportunities to develop or opportunities to graduate etc. Not necessarily things to iron out and resolve, but perhaps a better mutual understanding of how the org views Bennett and their expectation on how he will develop.

I contemplate this after thinking about JG and Janko interviews. JG seemed to better understand the org and their expectations of him after getting involved with contract negotiations. Janko on the other hand has always seemed to have a deep understanding of how the org wanted him to develop. He seemed to have lots of communication with them from the beginning (far in excess to the average NCAA player). This seemed to be most noticeable when the org asked him to play his final year rather than graduate to pro with Gilles.

I wonder if a rewriting of the expectations is needed. Bennett was immediately able to impact as a LW. He was not as successful at C. I'm wondering if some of the discussions is understanding whether the org is fine with being patient with him, or if they expect him to just suddenly get it next season. Guluzan in an interview believes Bennett is likely to break out next season. Though, he also said he expects the Flames to be a 100 point team.

I like our team a lot, but that latter statement is hinting at Saint Wardo realm of optimistic. I am unsure about the Bennett one. Sometimes I feel like Bennett is frustrated and hopes to just click and get it, while the org keeps sitting him down and saying something along the lines of "Slow and steady, let's do this right from the beginning."

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Very strange post considering half the Flames threads get locked because Oiler fans jump in and turn it into a pissing contest. I've barely posted over the past month and this is the 2nd or 3rd time I've read this complaint.

I comment on a lot of Flames stuff. After the Oilers they are easily the second team I follow the most. And of course more to see them lose than to see them win.

[MOD]

And back to the topic at hand. I still find it odd that the Flames fans can say Bennett is obviously better than a guy like Yakupov, yet they want him to get paid significantly less. Many comments about how Brouwer held him back (who makes 4 mill btw). Many comments about how he has not been put into a position to succeed. Yet I've heard numbers as low as 1.2 mill per year and many Flames fans believe 2.5 x 2 years is the highest Trel will go.

I got many short replies saying less than kind things a Month ago when I suggested Bennett might believe his own hype and could be holding out for a bigger contract. Turns out I was right (or at least on the right track). Whether he gets it or not will remain to be seen but I would be surprised if Bennetts number came in at 2.5 mill per year or lower.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I got many short replies saying less than kind things a Month ago when I suggested Bennett might believe his own hype and could be holding out for a bigger contract. Turns out I was right (or at least on the right track). Whether he gets it or not will remain to be seen but I would be surprised if Bennetts number came in at 2.5 mill per year or lower.

Eh, we won't know until we see the type of contract they agree to. I don't think you're completely wrong, but I don't think it's the biggest reason for hold ups. Treliving has been heavy handed with contracts ever since learning from his errors with Raymond, Engelland and Bouma.

Brouwer did hold Bennett back, but some of us think it's due to Brouwer perhaps nursing a broken hand for most of the season.

Treliving's interviews have revealed he does chat with Bennett somewhat frequently. Bennett's contract extension is taking a while, but Treliving has been achieving quite a bit all summer as well. I cannot see this contract negotiation going as long as JG's because I could see Treliving learning from JG's contract and asking Bennett to be involved sooner rather than later to resolve stalemate discussions with Bennett's agent.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Bennett and Valimaki for Duchene 50% retained??

Many of us Flames fan like Duchene, but retaining Duchene due to salary cap implications is the main reason why we likely would not pursue that trade.

qwerty

Feb 4, 2007
Calgary
I comment on a lot of Flames stuff. After the Oilers they are easily the second team I follow the most. And of course more to see them lose than to see them win.

[MOD]

And back to the topic at hand. I still find it odd that the Flames fans can say Bennett is obviously better than a guy like Yakupov, yet they want him to get paid significantly less. Many comments about how Brouwer held him back (who makes 4 mill btw). Many comments about how he has not been put into a position to succeed. Yet I've heard numbers as low as 1.2 mill per year and many Flames fans believe 2.5 x 2 years is the highest Trel will go.

I fully expect Bennett's next contract to start with a $2.xx. I'm not sure what the final number will be, but it should definitely be under guys like Teuvo Teravainen who put up 42 points and only received $2.86m x 2 yrs. I think Sam Bennett has untapped offensive potential and will one day be a top 6 forward but at the same time, he shouldn't expect much as he had a really rough year and has almost no leverage.

Based on what Dreger said on the 1050, his sources have told him that his agent has used unreasonable comparisons. If that's the case, then I think it's his agent who is giving Bennett bad advice as he's also representing Athanasiou who is also unsigned. If I was to venture a guess, I think Bennett will be signed before the preseason starts and will do so on an affordable bridge deal.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Bennett and Valimaki for Duchene 50% retained??

We won't be able to resign Duchene, he'll be chasing the money. It's better to keep cost-controlled Bennett, who I think will still sign a contract with us. And, we aren't going to trade a pick we just made.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
We won't be able to resign Duchene, he'll be chasing the money. It's better to keep cost-controlled Bennett, who I think will still sign a contract with us. And, we aren't going to trade a pick we just made.

How do you call a player who doesn't even have a contract because he's holding out "cost-controlled"?

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton
I would do bennett+Andersson for Duchene at 50%, but not valimaki.

Andersson could be just as good or better fwiw, this is just positional preference. (LD vs RD)

Duchene would bolster our offence pretty significantly this year. Worry about retaining him beyond this contract when we see how he fits in.

lomiller1

Jan 13, 2015
He needs to sign a bridge deal and then work his ass off to produce enough to make Calgary not regret taking him at #4.

Are we sure it isn’t the team insisting on a long term deal right now so they can force him to a long term low $ contract?

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
How do you call a player who doesn't even have a contract because he's holding out "cost-controlled"?

He's an RFA and we hold his rights until he signs something? We ultimately still have an asset. Even if he holds out, we retain his rights and he has a zero cap hit or something like that... I think.

But for Duchene, any assets we send for him, we lose when he walks. He's good, but we cannot afford a rental player. We are severely lacking high picks in the next drafts.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
He's an RFA and we hold his rights until he signs something? We ultimately still have an asset. Even if he holds out, we retain his rights and he has a zero cap hit or something like that... I think.

But for Duchene, any assets we send for him, we lose when he walks. He's good, but we cannot afford a rental player. We are severely lacking high picks in the next drafts.

Duchene is not a rental. Plus he's been linked to Calgary so obviously there is some type of interest there.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I would do bennett+Andersson for Duchene at 50%, but not valimaki.

Andersson could be just as good or better fwiw, this is just positional preference. (LD vs RD)

Duchene would bolster our offence pretty significantly this year. Worry about retaining him beyond this contract when we see how he fits in.

That's bad asset management risk to take on when we are sorely missing picks in the next few drafts.

Are we sure it isnÂ’t the team insisting on a long term deal right now so they can force him to a long term low $ contract?

Well, the other player that agent reps has also not signed, so I don't know if it's all our organization's fault the deal isn't' done yet.

Duchene is not a rental. Plus he's been linked to Calgary so obviously there is some type of interest there.

Oops, I didn't realize he still had 2 seasons left. I thought it was only 1. My bad. That makes it more palatable and worth pursuing. Idea wise I don't mind it, but I don't feel comfortable moving Valimaki. However, I also struggle to understand how we retain him after the contract expires.

VoynovsParoleOfficer

Jun 13, 2015

Duchene
Moneyhands
Backlund

would be lethal...if the money is right, i think Duchene would strongly consider a long term extension, juggling those contracts would be difficult but not impossible

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad