Dreger: Sam Bennett and Flames contract rumors [MOD WARNING: 235]

Status
Not open for further replies.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Wait doesn't Bennett have one more year left on his elc? He can't leave rn so he has a whole year to work out a deal. If he can put up the numbers in sure flames management would happily sign him long term.

Azrael89

Feb 13, 2017
This and the Athanasiou rumors are giving me flashbacks to Ryan O'Reilly's situation with Avs a few years back. This sucks for the fans of the teams that own these player's rights.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
How can there be a "sizable gap". Unless Bennett is delusional and thinks he's worth anything more than like 1.2m on a bridge I don't see how two sides can be so distant.

Deplorable Lenny

Mar 2, 2017
British Columbia
What could he possibly be asking for?

He should sign a 1 year deal and prove he deserves a long term contract. Missing training camp won't help one bit. He should just focus on having the best season he can.

I still don't see it happening. Just a ploy by his agent to get more $ I'm sure.

Deplorable Lenny

Mar 2, 2017
British Columbia
Wait doesn't Bennett have one more year left on his elc? He can't leave rn so he has a whole year to work out a deal. If he can put up the numbers in sure flames management would happily sign him long term.

His ELC expired.

His first season did not slide because of the games he played in the playoffs.

NM someone beat me to it.

Whileee

May 29, 2010

He's an RFA without a contract for this season. He could hold out like Trouba did last season, before signing in November. I think it would be unlikely for him to sign overseas, but I suppose it depends on how far apart they are in negotiations.

Azrael89

Feb 13, 2017
Does Sam Bennett possess "intangibles" that make him more valuable than his 26 point season shows?

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
Well, he sees the guy drafted in front of him making 8.5/year and the Flames see him scoring 26 pts. Not exactly a shock that they have a different idea of fair value.

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
What could he possibly be asking for?

He should sign a 1 year deal and prove he deserves a long term contract. Missing training camp won't help one bit. He should just focus on having the best season he can.

I still don't see it happening. Just a ploy by his agent to get more $ I'm sure.

100% agree with this.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Does Sam Bennett possess "intangibles" that make him more valuable than his 26 point season shows?

Yup... drafted #4 overall... that's an "intangible" that usually influences contract talks coming out of the ELC.

McNuge

Dec 17, 2010
Cambridge Ontario
Not sure how the difference can be large, he hasn't done anything to warrant any sort of payday. Unless they are trying to sign him for 5+ years at a discount, but even then there is no way in hell he deserves anything over $4mil over 5 years

edguy

Feb 5, 2014
Charlottetown, PEI
Difference between this and the AA rumors are AA has offers for a full season. Bennett would just be going over to stay in game shape while a deal gets done.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
I guess Bennett and his agent are convinced they can squeeze more $$$ and term from Calgary. I see some potential in Bennett but I don't see someone who has "arrived" in the NHL. As an Oiler fan I'd love to see the Flames overpay this kid. As a hockey fan I think Treliving should play hardball and stick with a bridge contract offer.

Bennett absence, if he plays overseas, won't significantly affect Calgary this season. They can find a cheaper option to play his role while contracts talks drag on.

topcheezy

Sep 3, 2017
if there's bad blood i don't completely blame sam. he wasn't put it any position to put up points last year in a contract year. it almost looked like they were trying to keep his stats down for cap reasons, which i'm not saying they did, but it might seem that way from bennet's pov

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
I guess Bennett and his agent are convinced they can squeeze more $$$ and term from Calgary. I see some potential in Bennett but I don't see someone who has "arrived" in the NHL. As an Oiler fan I'd love to see the Flames overpay this kid. As a hockey fan I think Treliving should play hardball and stick with a bridge contract offer.

Bennett absence, if he plays overseas, won't significantly affect Calgary this season. They can find a cheaper option to play his role while contracts talks drag on.

I'd be fine slotting Jankowski on the 3rd line if Bennett isn't signed.

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
Someone said he wants a Brodie (4.65M x 5) like contract, which is outrageous.

I would give him a Klefbom contract though. That would be unreal.

But this is just an agent making some noise after he got shutdown by the Wizard haha. Bennett would be an idiot to miss training camp when you have Jankowski licking his chops behind him.

Azrael89

Feb 13, 2017
Well, he sees the guy drafted in front of him making 8.5/year and the Flames see him scoring 26 pts. Not exactly a shock that they have a different idea of fair value.

Yeah, well if he thinks his 26 pts gets him a contract anywhere near Draisaitl's, who had 77 pts then this one might take a while. Lol

ESH

Jun 19, 2011

Well, kinda. He's gritty and he's not afraid to crash the net and dig for pucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad