Salary Cap: Salary Cap Thread - Waiting for Goalies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
Tatar is one I wouldn't mind if he came really cheap
I know his post seasons in the past couple of years haven't been great but he has been really consistent in Montreal during the regular season and I'd take a flyer on him for under 3 million. Max 2 years.

Any interest in Cizikas for bottom 6 so we can stop f***ing playing against him in the playoffs lol?

TimmyD

Nov 11, 2013
Greensburg, PA
I don't understand why people here complain that the Penguins don't give enough chances to young players while also advocating to have an entirely filled out roster of established players through trades or UFA. You can't simultaneously claim that you want guys like Zohorna, Angello, Hallander and such to get looks while also advocating for signing Saad to push Zucker to the 3rd line or signing Perry for the 4th line.

Bingo... I was just thinking about this the other day..."Why won't Sully play any young guys and give them a chance to crack the lineup?!?!?!" Then after the E-Rod and Simon signings "Why didn't they go sign someone better than those guys to play on the third and 4th line?!?!?!?!?!?!"

Reactions: WheresRamziAbid

Beauner

Jun 14, 2011
Pittsburgh
Am I the only one who doesn't give a single f*** if they acquire a goalie before the season? Jarry/DeSmith were FINE last year in the regular season. Jarry melted down in the playoffs. We have all season to acquire a veteran goalie if need-be. Don't need to go spending stupid cash or picks on a goalie right now

Aug 4, 2008
Rochester, NY
How the hell did Jusso Riikola ever have a shred of upside? Dude produced less than Jack Johnson did for the Penguins. I have no clue how you can seriously argue that Rodrigues had no upside while Riikola did.

Because he was younger and produced well enough in the SM-Liga. I'm not suggesting he would have produced a ton, just that he could have been a decent player.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
These aren’t overpayments though. If you want an actual NHL player and not a guy who is a potential AHLer you have to pay them.

Rodrigues is going to put up a 25-30 pt pace where ever you put him in the line up. I seriously do not comprehend the complaints. We can just dunk Riikola and Ruh if we need more space.
Then why haven’t we dunked any of these players that people say are so easy to unload?

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Also @Pens x @Dipsy Doodle

Both of you were happy to sign Riikola to two years a a million plus less than a year ago in an even worse cap situation. Why is Rodrigues different?

Confirmed with Link: - The Penguins have re-signed defenseman Juuso Riikola to a two-year contract.
I didn’t expect for him to sit in the press box for the entire contract. I disagree vehemently with how little he’s played. I think he would have been an upgrade over Matheson (first part of the season) and Pettersson, but Sully knows best.

It makes no sense to carry his contract to never play him.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Lets make this simple.

The literal WORST case to signing ERod is that you spend 250k surplus on your 13th forward.

IF hes in the lineup the 250 is well worth it because he is 250k better than Your typical AHL scrub replacement.

IF in the worst case he is your scratched forward, IF The extra 250k is an issue,
you can just demote him and recoup the cap space.

The is literally no downside.
He will never be demoted regardless of how he plays though. My biggest problem with Erod is Mike Sullivan, at least in the regular season.

OnMyOwn

Worlds Apart
Sep 7, 2005
He’ll be on the 4th line and play up the lineup when injuries happen. He’s a more than capable 4th liner.

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
Yea, you shouldn’t be paying a player $1 million that is always scratched when it matters or when we are healthy.
It's been a slow creep, but 1m is so close to league min 700k at this point it's not very impactful.

Trade

Guentzel is ELITE
Apr 13, 2015
I know it was a small sample size vs his former team, but I’m very excited to see what Friedman can do this year. Equally as excited about POJ.

Deport Ogie

Jun 30, 2014
Suburbia
And that’s why you don’t piss away $1.7 mil on Erod and Simon.

Hakenpaa had multiple offers and chose Dallas because it has a number of fellow Finns. We have zero idea if the Pens offered or how much or if it had any bearing on the decision at all.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Hakenpaa had multiple offers and chose Dallas because it has a number of fellow Finns. We have zero idea if the Pens offered or how much or if it had any bearing on the decision at all.
So you offer him $1.75 mil or even $2 mill. We are one of the softest teams in the league; he would have been a nice addition.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad