Salary Cap: Salary Cap Thread - Waiting for Goalies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Honestly, it seems prudent to wait on goal until it becomes and issue in the season or the TDL (whichever comes first) for a few reasons:

1) You can let your goalies at least increase a little bit of their value
2) You can see what we have in the pipeline-- maybe some kid's going to pull a vintage, actually-good Murray and come out of the AHL?
3) You look around and see who's going to get squeezed by RFA signings and then possibly get a better return than you would if you signed someone on day 1 of free agency.
4) You work out a hockey trade.

I get that people are nervous and impatient, but the team loses nothing by keeping CDS/Jarry for now, and waiting for a good deal to come up.
Because it will cost assets which sleepy won’t want to trade. Fast forward to the deadline this season:

hfboards: I’m glad Hextall didn’t acquire any of these goalies! We can’t pay that price! DeSmith and Jarry will be fine!

Rinse and repeat

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
@Gurglesons

Sort of missed the point on that one. We're regularly injured, so saying "he only played in the top 6 when we had injuries" is a nothing statement. Rodrigues should never play in the top 6, but he's one of Sullivan's go-to spot duty guys on a team that's often dealing with injuries.

Further, always being scratched when it counts isn't an argument in his favor.
Yea, you shouldn’t be paying a player $1 million that is always scratched when it matters or when we are healthy.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
My video game play would be:

Trade Zucker for 2nd and 4th or something, sign Saad for ~4.5 aav, trade picks and Jarry to Chicago or Anaheim.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Trying to work out the goalie market...

Buffalo have Dell and Anderson signed, they need someone better, gotta think Luukkonen won't be shoved into the firing line there yet.
St Louis have Husso as a backup and that would seem someone to improve on if cap is there
Calgary don't have a backup listed on CF but I presume its Vladar?
Arizona have Hutton signed so imagine they might want someone better (and cheap)
Winnipeg don't have a listed backup
Chicago have a problem if MAF tells them to go pound sand

I think that's it looking for goalies?

There's nothing left in FA other than gambles on Lundqvist's and Rask's health (if Rask is willing to bid adieu to Boston), and pretending Dubynk didn't take a nose dive

So there's not a whole lot to move and not a whole to move it to for those who do want to make a move as best I can tell.

Reactions: Gurglesons

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
what should you be paying that player and why does it matter?
If you don’t plan on starting a guy in the playoffs or once your roster isn’t a joke, you should pay him the league minimum. We are already going to overpay ZAR; these overpayments add up and can be the difference between signing a good player and having to go dumpster diving.

When you are this strapped cap wise, it makes no sense to throw many at fourth guys like this.

Last edited:

SaucyCelly

Feb 21, 2019
Trying to work out the goalie market...

Buffalo have Dell and Anderson signed, they need someone better, gotta think Luukkonen won't be shoved into the firing line there yet.
St Louis have Husso as a backup and that would seem someone to improve on if cap is there
Calgary don't have a backup listed on CF but I presume its Vladar?
Arizona have Hutton signed so imagine they might want someone better (and cheap)
Winnipeg don't have a listed backup
Chicago have a problem if MAF tells them to go pound sand

I think that's it looking for goalies?

There's nothing left in FA other than gambles on Lundqvist's and Rask's health (if Rask is willing to bid adieu to Boston), and pretending Dubynk didn't take a nose dive

So there's not a whole lot to move and not a whole to move it to for those who do want to make a move as best I can tell.

Buffalo and Arizona are tanking for Wright.
Jets signed Comrie I think to back up Hellebuyck.
Lankinen if he reproduces like last year, and Chi will be ok.

Realistically Quick is available, one of the goalies in Dallas not named Oettinger, and Georgiev off the top of my head.

Reactions: Peat and Gurglesons

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
If you don’t plan on starting a guy in the playoffs or once your roster isn’t a joke, you should pay him the league minimum. We are already going to overpay ZAR; these overpayments add up and can be the difference between signing a good player and having to go dumpster diving.

When you are this strapped cap wise, it makes no sense to throw many at fourth guys like this.

So you really think the extra 250k which BTW can be 100% burried in the AHL (if needed) makes a damn bit of difference.

Get a grip.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
So you really think the extra 250k which BTW can be 100% burried in the AHL (if needed) makes a damn bit of difference.

Get a grip.
By itself, no. But let’s see how much we overpay ZAR. Also, you know damn well he won’t be buried in the AHL with Sully here, so please stop suggesting that as a feasible option.

You also forget that Sully and Hextall only promoted AHL forwards when we were decimated by injuries. If it wasn’t for all of the injuries, guys like Angello, Z and Gaudreau never would have played in the NHL. We would have kept starting Sceviour and Jank every gee dee game.

Im shocked no one scooped up Sceviour or Jank yet.

tenor.gif

it would be shocking if Erod or Simon played a game in the AHL with Sully as coach

Last edited:

xlm34

Dec 1, 2008
My video game play would be:

Trade Zucker for 2nd and 4th or something, sign Saad for ~4.5 aav, trade picks and Jarry to Chicago or Anaheim.

If Saad would accept a 4.5 average, I’d do this. You get assets and shave off a million. Saad probably isn’t better than Zucker but maybe he’d be a better fit.

I’d be surprised if Saad doesn’t end up getting a higher contract though.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
@Gurglesons

Sort of missed the point on that one. We're regularly injured, so saying "he only played in the top 6 when we had injuries" is a nothing statement. Rodrigues should never play in the top 6, but he's one of Sullivan's go-to spot duty guys on a team that's often dealing with injuries.

Further, always being scratched when it counts isn't an argument in his favor.

Yet you defend Gaudreau being signed for more and with more term when he was out 17th option at forward this year. And has been scratched in the playoffs every year of his career until he became one of Sullivan’s “pets”.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I think looking at the moves made and not made yesterday it’s clear that the Pens FO doesn’t believe for a hot minute that the team is close to being a contender and nor are they in win-now mode…I find the whole thing rather sad…if you’re going to let the core players walk off in the sunset together in a few years and are trying to keep this afloat, at least get a really really good goalie to give them a shot….instead, they’re nibbling along the edges and keeping this team on a raft of mediocrity….if you’re not going for win-now, then just try hard for a good lottery pick (and why the f**k are you resigning Rust!) rather than just let the team fade down a pole of getting a little bit worse roster-wise each year over the next few years…

Reactions: EightyOne and KIRK

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

These aren’t overpayments though. If you want an actual NHL player and not a guy who is a potential AHLer you have to pay them.

Rodrigues is going to put up a 25-30 pt pace where ever you put him in the line up. I seriously do not comprehend the complaints. We can just dunk Riikola and Ruh if we need more space.

TimmyD

Nov 11, 2013
Greensburg, PA
I haven't really heard much on Hakanpaa or even Saad really...Hextal seems to keep a lid on things much better than JR did (wonder why) so maybe, just maybe the Pens are in on them...Just a thought

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Speaking of goalies, was there anything shady with caps not protecting Vitcek (sp) Seattle taking him, trading Vitcek (sp?) BACK to capitals for a draft pick....
Are they allowed to have deals done like that? I know pens did (similar) move with MAF on the ED...

I'm new to ED stuff, so pardon my not knowing ignorance... =]

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Saad is OK at best but I think Zucker can have a better year here as he gets into the mix both professionally and personally. Put him with JC and a good RW say Kap and that can actually be your top 6 line. I suspect Malkin may be a LTIR casualty longer than some think if Pens can win without him and use that to add a very good RW. Saw the Kemper deal and Pens just don't have the assets to do that trade. But I would go after Timmons as a young RD. He was the draft selection I wanted for the Pens before the Reeves trade.

TimmyD

Nov 11, 2013
Greensburg, PA
These aren’t overpayments though. If you want an actual NHL player and not a guy who is a potential AHLer you have to pay them.

Rodrigues is going to put up a 25-30 pt pace where ever you put him in the line up. I seriously do not comprehend the complaints. We can just dunk Riikola and Ruh if we need more space.

So you think E-Rod could be a 10-15 or 15-15 guy?

Pengu

Jun 24, 2016
Don't worry. Malkins next multi year "legacy" will kill any hope of contending anyway. Beacuse he is a legend and was fantastic for the club we now must pay him 9 million/season until he's 40 getting 40 games/season.
Love that asinine logic...

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Speaking of goalies, was there anything shady with caps not protecting Vitcek (sp) Seattle taking him, trading Vitcek (sp?) BACK to capitals for a draft pick....
Are they allowed to have deals done like that? I know pens did (similar) move with MAF on the ED...

I'm new to ED stuff, so pardon my not knowing ignorance... =]

it’s permitted as long as Seattle doesn’t retain any salary because that would be cap circumvention…why the f**k that’s verboten but trading him back for an asset isn’t, who know but that’s the NHL for you

Reactions: LOGiK
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad