Salary Cap: Salary Cap Thread - The Long Game

Status
Not open for further replies.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Because those types of plays are extremely rare in todays game. When was the last time you saw Crosby score a goal like that?

That might have just as much to do with the fact that Crosby's not exactly in his physical prime anymore as it does the state of the modern game. :dunno:

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Yeah, but how often does Tanev, or Rust, or McCann make that play? I don't think we've even seen Kappy make many plays like that. Good NHL teams don't allow those chances all that often, good NHL players don't make such a mess of stopping the forward that often when they do.

Also, absolutely pissing myself now that I've realised, but that was Derrick Pouliot completely failing to impede him. He played 6 minutes in that game. Can't imagine why...

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Honest question, what’s the difference between a president of hockey ops and a director of hockey ops?

It seems like a savvy-ish move, I’m just curious what their portfolios are?

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Honest question, what’s the difference between a president of hockey ops and a director of hockey ops?

In most companies Director level would be still involved in the operational hierarchy where as a president is lower rung csuite level.

I imagine the idea here is Alec will assist Hextall where as in technical terms Burke has final say on anything Hextall does.

Reactions: HandshakeLine

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
I still get a sick feeling whenever I hear about the Winterhawks. Johnston and Pouliot were disasters. What a waste.

eXile3

Dec 12, 2020
I still get a sick feeling whenever I hear about the Winterhawks. Johnston and Pouliot were disasters. What a waste.

Don't forget Joe Morrow.

"GMs know more than us" Watches as Shero passes on Forsberg as the entire board goes crazy.

Reactions: Dominance

Deport Ogie

Jun 30, 2014
Suburbia

Well it says the Director will be called on to assist in contract negotiations and cap management. And given what we've seen thus far, I'd gather that the job description for President of Hockey Ops is to make numerous public statements, get interviewed on multiple shows, and most importantly, lead all hockey fans to assume your team is going to trade Jake Guentzel for Milan Lucic and a few pairs of long pants.

Reactions: HandshakeLine

Khelandros

Feb 12, 2019

Hockey Operations is a multifaceted operation. Everything from Player Development, Contracts, Scouting, Equipment Staff, Coaches, etc.

President of Hockey Ops over sees all aspects of this. The big boss that everyone lower boss reports to. Deals with the big picture stuff.

Director of Hockey Ops would oversee specific aspects of different departments. Answering to the President. More of the day-to-day stuff.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
While I do see the difference between what they do (I think), I do love that Hockey Ops now has a President and a Director for sure. Probably because Numbers Boy didn't sound dignified enough.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I'm guessing this was one of the positions that was previously voided by JR?

It would make sense as it relates to cap crunching and contract numbers. Which JR didn't seem like he could be bother with too much. Just get it within their rough value and add like 15% and whatever trade clauses he hits on the dartboard that day.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I'm guessing this was one of the positions that was previously voided by JR?

It would make sense as it relates to cap crunching and contract numbers. Which JR didn't seem like he could be bother with too much. Just get it within their rough value and add like 15% and whatever trade clauses he hits on the dartboard that day.

I think Botterill was Rutherford's Numbers Boy, and then maybe Karmanos after him i.e. it always done by an Assistant GM when it was done.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I think Botterill was Rutherford's Numbers Boy, and then maybe Karmanos after him i.e. it always done by an Assistant GM when it was done.

I like to think he just scribbled things on a napkin and handed it off to his waiter at PF Changs while saying something like "you guys have one of those fancy electronic adding machines back there... run these numbers in between more rangoons."

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

I do find it funny how people were criticizing this organization for being cheap and now we've probably added about million dollars in people to sit around in board meetings and look busy.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I do find it funny how people were criticizing this organization for being cheap and now we've probably added about million dollars in people to sit around in board meetings and look busy.

I make fun but in the end yeah... this is actually closer to reality than we're likely comfortable admitting haha

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad