Salary Cap: Salary Cap Thread - The Long Game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I was okay with the team giving some rope to Lafferty. He has talent/skating/some hands and finish.

What was so disappointing about him - and also from the team's perspective - was that he was not a talented guy out there looking lost. He was an active hindrance in taking petulant/dumb penalties that served no purpose. I think he should have been on "the next one of these you take, your ass is headed to Wheeling" alert for the majority of last season. The team barely even mentioned his penalties.

At the same time how many people on this forum were begging for him to get a chance over McCann less than 8 months prior.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Not by me. This off season was similar to last year’s without spending unnecessary assets on another hope and prayer in the top six.
I actually agree that you might not have carved up JR for signing a bunch of nobodies like Hextall did. You did vehemently defend guys like Sceviour, Jank and Erod when we signed/acquired them.

We still have Sully and Jarry, so here’s to another first round exit next year.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
At the same time how many people on this forum were begging for him to get a chance over McCann less than 8 months prior.

I believe you, though Laff/McCann wasn't exactly seared into my mind.

For every 13 minutes Lafferty played on the ice, he served one in the penalty box.

Quick frame of reference: during the Messel season Malkin was >14 minutes. Matt Cooke was at 12.7 for his Penguins career. But Cooke was actually good.

3ladesof5teel

Feb 20, 2012
I think the big issue is Marino's size and the fact there is no insulation back there.

Say what you want about Jack Johnson, but he did seem to help Pettersson and Marino look a hell of a lot better when it came to them getting worked off the puck.

I've seriously been thinking what this team might look like if we target Gudbranson at league minimum from the back end.

Why dont you go back and open up the Gudbranson thread when we intially scooped him and Ill take a stab that youll have similar results

According to that thread I think there are some fans that are no longer with us

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
I believe you, though Laff/McCann wasn't exactly seared into my mind.

For every 13 minutes Lafferty played on the ice, he served one in the penalty box.

Quick frame of reference: during the Messel season Malkin was >14 minutes. Matt Cooke was at 12.7 for his Penguins career. But Cooke was actually good.

I've never been a fan of Lafferty. So, I'm all about skewering him.

The issue I have is demanding our coach recognizes young talent and gives them opportunities and then when he has done it with Pettersson and Lafferty criticizing him for not doing it with the "right guys".

Reactions: Peat

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Why dont you go back and open up the Gudbranson thread when we intially scooped him and Ill take a stab that youll have similar results

According to that thread I think there are some fans that are no longer with us

I was ridiculously pissed about Gudbranson. A lot of that came from the contract and term though.

As well as the fact I was and still am a big fan of Pearson's game.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
I was ridiculously pissed about Gudbranson. A lot of that came from the contract and term though.

I don't want to pile on Zucker since I've spent too much time doing it already.

But I'd feel better with Pearson flanking Malkin right now. He was brought in and sacrificed during a season where the team never really clicked. Hell, if we had him it would have made trading Rust for beaucoup assets more palatable.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
I get the dissatisfaction about lack of change.

I entered the offseason wanting to play a game of FMK with the Supporting Cast, Coaching, and Goaltending. The org has opted to marry all 3 (okay, maybe they are just F-ing the goaltending for now...)

3ladesof5teel

Feb 20, 2012

A whole lot of overeaction in that thread, par the course.

Guds played well on a makeshift D that year.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
I don't want to pile on Zucker since I've spent too much time doing it already.

But I'd feel better with Pearson flanking Malkin right now. He was brought in and sacrificed during a season where the team never really clicked. Hell, if we had him it would have made trading Rust for beaucoup assets more palatable.

They were both bad fits. At least Zucker has shown he can produce there when push comes to shove.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
If JR had this offseason, I think most of us would be relieved. You just know he would have given Ceci a big deal.
So the bloke that originally signed him to the 1yr is going to do that?

giphy.gif

Meanwhile Ken Holland is out there handing out dipshit contracts like an Oprah freebie giveaway.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ

Again, though, to play devil's advocate, I'm glad Sully did so, because now we hopefully see that Lafferty just doesn't think the game well enough to play his role. That's kind of why you need to let these young players play through some time in order to get a read on them; if we just went by Laff's first stint here, he was going to be the next Tanev.

My only real complaint about Lafferty is that he was kept in the lineup for far too long when he was an active liability. Not just in fumbling a play or two, but actively hurting the team on the ice. That's the difference between an unimpressive call-up/signing and an actual bad one. I'd have preferred it if Lafferty was HS'd like 2 months before he actually was, but hey, at least we know he's got certified donkey brains.

Reactions: Andy99

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Tanner Pearson's contract expired last summer. I can't say I'd have expected management to renew him if he had been here. Which, even as someone who thought he could have been better here with a less tumultuous start, is about the only appeal I see wishing we'd kept him. Which is a point that could be applied to Zucker too.

Again, though, to play devil's advocate, I'm glad Sully did so, because now we hopefully see that Lafferty just doesn't think the game well enough to play his role. That's kind of why you need to let these young players play through some time in order to get a read on them; if we just went by Laff's first stint here, he was going to be the next Tanev.

My only real complaint about Lafferty is that he was kept in the lineup for far too long when he was an active liability. Not just in fumbling a play or two, but actively hurting the team on the ice. That's the difference between an unimpressive call-up/signing and an actual bad one. I'd have preferred it if Lafferty was HS'd like 2 months before he actually was, but hey, at least we know he's got certified donkey brains.

Should the org really need to see a ton of guys like Lafferty on NHL ice to know what they've got when they've got training, they've got AHL games, they've got a ton of private video work on him, etc.etc? Because honestly that sounds a lot like incompetence to me. Sure there's a few differences that can throw people a little, but at least 90% should be known.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
The most frustrating thing about Lafferty is when he actually plays the way you know he can for a shift and then proceeds to be an absolute idiot or the rest of his game.

He's big, fast, can be a pest, and he shows some skill - Flashes of it.

But instead, we get a spazzy puppy that urinates all over the place.

Yeah, I think I hate Lafferty mostly because he's got all the qualities I want to see in our bottom 6, but he just cannot string it together for more than a shift or two. Maybe he'll finally get his shit together this year and I'll upgrade him from "fireable offense" to "tolerate/secretly root for".

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
I fear Lafferty is the next Dustin Jeffrey in that he had a small sample size of success that will keep him around for 2 or 3 more seasons, despite the fact that he sucks.

I guess he is now the most physical player on the team? Calgary and Toronto fans said that Burke mentioned the same exact bs of about those teams needing to become more physical, but never did anything about it.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
I fear Lafferty is the next Dustin Jeffrey in that he had a small sample size of success that will keep him around for 2 or 3 more seasons, despite the fact that he sucks.

I guess he is now the most physical player on the team? Calgary and Toronto fans said that Burke mentioned the same exact bs of about those teams needing to become more physical, but never did anything about it.
In recent memory he's gotta be one of the biggest underperformers relative to his ability, at least out of bottom sixers.

Why can't we see this stuff more often? Sigh.

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
In recent memory he's gotta be one of the biggest underperformers relative to his ability, at least out of bottom sixers.

Why can't we see this stuff more often? Sigh.

He had a lot of chances las year to put the puck in the net...and didn't. To a semi-comical point. If he potted every one to had a legit chance to, he'd be in the top 6, lol. But here we are...

Reactions: AuroraBorealis
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad