Salary Cap: Salary Cap Thread: Expansion Draft Extravaganza

Status
Not open for further replies.

Headshot77

Bad Photoshopper
Feb 15, 2015
DeSmith ain't being taken. They can take Driedger, Vanacek, Kakkonen, and other young goalies with decent stats that all cost <3 mil. DeSmith is safe.

BTW, it makes no sense to take any old or expensive goalie. Grab 4 young guys that were vying for starter roles, and see who takes the job.

JRS91

Jul 4, 2010
There's not too many centers available, I could definitely see Seattle taking McCann.

Gourde, McCann, Jarnkrok and Tierney down the middle is pretty good depth. None of them are necessarily great, but they're decent enough. My guess is Van Riemsdyk, Zucker, Blackwell and Benson on the LW and Bailey, Donskoi, Appleton and Fischer on the RW. Their defense is going to be what makes them competitive.

My guess is Giordano, Simek, Dunn, Kukan, Stetcher, Bean and Clifton. Not to mention Fleury will most likely be in the mix as well. I could see them picking Bishop and Driedger as their goalies, but wouldn't be shocked if they get Kahkonen too. I don't think Seattle will shock the world like Las Vegas did, but I definitely think they'll be competitive. Their biggest weakness will be center, whether or not Gourde and McCann can be consistent top-six centers or not will depend on how far they go in my opinion.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
If McCann goes to Seattle and gets consistent Top-6 C minutes, I'm very interested to see his production and the perception of his performance.

We think of him as all tools, no toolbox, but perhaps a toolbox emerges.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
What are the thoughts on the Pens trying to get Carey Price from Seattle?
tenor.gif

Reactions: EightyOne

Headshot77

Bad Photoshopper
Feb 15, 2015
Now will be a great time to trade Jarry with Seattle taking 3-4 goalies from the market. Lots of teams will have open spots. If I'm Buffalo and I'm losing Ullmark, I'd give Jarry a look. Don't have to worry about playoff collapses if your team will never make the playoffs.

Reactions: Gold Diamond

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
Now will be a great time to trade Jarry with Seattle taking 3-4 goalies from the market. Lots of teams will have open spots. If I'm Buffalo and I'm losing Ullmark, I'd give Jarry a look. Don't have to worry about playoff collapses if your team will never make the playoffs.
The expansion draft will be the first set of dominoes to fall.

But a lot more will fall Friday at the entry draft. That's the last push to make trades to clear space or fill holes before free agency.

Headshot77

Bad Photoshopper
Feb 15, 2015
People realize this is the path of every championship squad. The Isles, the Oilers, the Pens, the Devils, the Avs, the Wings. Every team that has won a ton of cups goes through a period where their championship squad is diluted and it's about watching the stars level off.

Hoping for Malkin and Crosby to be injured or be worse than they are is such a bizarre take and really speaks to the idiocy of this fan base because they think that we will just suddenly bounce back if we are a bad team for a couple years.

Look around the league. The worst teams in the league have been the worst teams in the league for five to ten years now. Regardless of draft picks.

Edmonton, Arizona, Buffalo, Columbus, etc.
Counterpoint: Colorado. They rebuilt quite nicely. The actual problem for more of the teams you list is more deep-rooted. Management being cheap, markets that struggle to attract free agents, etc. etc.

I feel like the Penguins would never get down to that level of organisational incompetence, but hey who knows.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Counterpoint: Colorado. They rebuilt quite nicely. The actual problem for more of the teams you list is more deep-rooted. Management being cheap, markets that struggle to attract free agents, etc. etc.

I feel like the Penguins would never get down to that level of organisational incompetence, but hey who knows.

Colorado was anchorless and awful for basically 15 years after 2002. From 05-06 to 16-17 they won two playoff series and missed the playoffs eight of those twelve seasons. If the Pens follow that path, I bet 15% of this forum dies before they see a competitive Penguins team.

Last edited:
Reactions: EightyOne

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006
Colorado was anchorless and awful for basically 15 years after 2002. From 05-06 to 16-17 they won two playoff series and missed the playoffs eight of those twelve seasons. If the Pens follow that path, I bet 15% of this forum dies before they see a competitive Penguins team.
Most of the fan base hasn’t been alive long enough to remember a time when we didn’t have a generational player on the roster.

Reactions: KIRK

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
Remember when we kept two goalies knowing one was gone for sure? During a trade deadline where goalies were in high demand to contenders because of freak injuries. Then ended up losing to the Habs in qualifying round, 3-1. Fun times.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
If McCann goes to Seattle and gets consistent Top-6 C minutes, I'm very interested to see his production and the perception of his performance.

Unlikely, but I expect a breakout offensively because he will get all the prime minutes. By breakout, I mean around 55-60 points, not 40 goals like William Karlsson did.

He'll be what I call a "bad team good player". Like a Max Domi or a David Desharnais. Guys with a lot of warts that can produce offensively if you give them the offensive opportunities. Thing is, if they are the guy getting those minutes, your team sucks. They'll produce 55-60 while a 1C would produce 75-80.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016

He's had plenty of top 6 C minutes here over the past two seasons. I know there's a reason you said consistent, but I doubt that extra time in the role truly makes a difference to the player he is. I don't think a toolbox will get grafted on, at least not the sort of toolbox that radically changes his ceiling. Particularly since I imagine his line will be one teams really scheme against.

I expect him to do very well for them if taken and given the right support. I believe in his talent. I just think we've seen enough top 6C McCann to know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad