Salary Cap: Salary Cap Thread: Expansion and Free Agency

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I'm ok with 32 teams, same as the NFL.

I don't think the NHL has nearly the cache that the NFL does.

Game 5 of the Stanley Cup Finals rated the same as Monday Night Raw.

I get expanding the game/interest. But that just seems like words when you look at how the league sells itself and many of the decisions they make.

In any case maybe this is better suited for another thread.

Pengu

Jun 24, 2016
He'll cost a minimum that. Could even see the 1st pick next year....
Stay away from Gibson. WAY too overhyped

Last 2 seasons

51 games 3.00 GAA 904%
35 games 2.98 903%

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town
I've always liked the Coyotes.

It's a shame they're being held back by poor management because they have some of the best jerseys in NHL history.

At this point they remind me of those scumbag Jeff Loria/David samson-run Miami Marlins. No real pretense of competing if they cant stuff their own pockets, and everything feels like a swindle.

I mean, OEL signed that deal 3 years ago. and you kind of knew at time there was no way the Yotes owners were going to be paying most of that out.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Haha... this team is gonna go Gibson and close up shop for the offseason aren't they? Bah. Dude's been on the downslide for two seasons.

But hey... Pittsburgh n'at.

Reactions: farscape1

Jobeycool

Jun 20, 2019
Gibson is like a wall ... puck hits Him He will save it...other than that with the Pens lousy defense no way you should ever get that guy.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
He'll cost a minimum that. Could even see the 1st pick next year....
Stay away from Gibson. WAY too overhyped

Last 2 seasons

51 games 3.00 GAA 904%
35 games 2.98 903%

Evaluating goalies on save% alone is pretty lazy. Anaheim has been horrendous defensively for years, so him putting up a .903 there isn't the equivalent of a .903 elsewhere.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Just to really emphasize how bad defensively Anaheim is, their all situations xGA/60 in the last 3 years is 3rd worst in the NHL, only above the Hawks and Rangers. I would probably only have Chicago and Vancouver as worse defensive teams than Anaheim going into next year.

Jobeycool

Jun 20, 2019
They haven't lost due to bad defense in the playoffs since like 2012.
They cannot carry the play most of the time against really good teams in the playoffs...is what I'm talking about.Lack of all 4 lines being properly balanced...I think they should have won 4 Cups with this group of players maybe even 5.Mistakes where made mostly by the GMs.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I don't think Gibson's as bad as his stats say. I also don't think he's worth going out and getting for a team teetering on the edge of a lengthy rebuild.

Jules Winnfield

Fleurymanbad
Mar 19, 2010
They cannot carry the play most of the time against really good teams in the playoffs...is what I'm talking about.Lack of all 4 lines being properly balanced...I think they should have won 4 Cups with this group of players maybe even 5.Misaktes where made mostly by the GMs.

e8a.gif

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town
Haha... this team is gonna go Gibson and close up shop for the offseason aren't they? Bah. Dude's been on the downslide for two seasons.

But hey... Pittsburgh n'at.

Ehh, I dont know, I cant see it. Gibson wont be cheap, so we'd have to make financial room for him, and then strip the cupboards down the studs for the return to Anaheim, all while not making any improvements to the current roster because he eats up most of the space we have left. And this is while the free agent market is loaded with UFA goalies that can serve as stop gaps at a much lower cap hit for the cost of no assets.

Plus the hometown thing has a nice touch to it, but its not like we've relentlessly fiended after guys like Saad and Trochek in the past, even when they clearly would've clearly filled a need for the team at the time. Again, the hometown thing is a factor i'd love to the team to exploit on the market with UFAs, but hopefully it doesnt make them so thirsty for Gibson we lose all sense.

I keep having to tell myself over and over: we have Hextall running things now, we're probably the least likely team in the NHL to have one of these crazy overpay trades. But that's just a mantra to keep me calm on days like this :laugh:

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Just to really emphasize how bad defensively Anaheim is, their all situations xGA/60 in the last 3 years is 3rd worst in the NHL, only above the Hawks and Rangers. I would probably only have Chicago and Vancouver as worse defensive teams than Anaheim going into next year.
So bad that after Gibson saw early on that this was another 'bad' season with the look on his face with such disappointment he went into Tank mode
Now i think he wants a change of scenery on the east coast. Carolina lines up better but he probably prefers to go to Pitt.
I always thought somehow someway he eventually plays for Pittsburgh in his career.

Jules Winnfield

Fleurymanbad
Mar 19, 2010
Ready..Ray Shero after they won the first cup....awful defense in playoffs.. After Phil Kessel left another GM by the name of Jim Rutherford traded away entirely to many 1rst round draft picks.

Yeah we carried the play against the Isles and the defense wasn’t an issue so that blows your whole narrative. Continue on though.

Jobeycool

Jun 20, 2019
Yeah we carried the play against the Isles and the defense wasn’t an issue so that blows your whole narrative. Continue on though.
Nope...weak shots on net to predictable for the way Trotz and the Islanders style of defense plays.. They just are relentless with that kind of defense..Pens held their ground tougher this year and tried harder but it just is to much on their bodies.Plus Jarry is very young..

T1K

Jul 23, 2013
Pittsburgh
f*** it. Let’s go for it.

Poulin isn’t gonna help us for a while anyway.

Is he really that far away from being NHL ready? Good ELC forwards are the key to winning the cup, I don’t think it’s good business to trade them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad