Salary Cap: Salary Cap Summer Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Duchene is the last guy I want to discuss in terms of serious targets, it's a fantasy. Unless Sakic deals his disgruntled Center with his best player last year in Zadorov, it makes 0 sense to make a move for Duchene. JR also knows that his defense depth won him back 2 back cups, there's zero chance he moves Maatta just to make the 3C spot the envy of the league while weakening a defense that really can't take on losing a guy like Maatta without replacing him with another solid youngster that can play 19-20+ minutes.

I'm not sure what the other options are, there are quite a few other 3C type guys, namely 3 on Vegas and then other lesser discussed targets.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I am curious about Carl Soderberg, he was a guy that Roy trusted to kill penalties and he was a 50+ faceoff % guy last year for them for a team where the vast majority of the roster did not produce offensively thanks to a dim bulb coach.

If the Pens can some how get them to retain 40% of Soderberg's contract in some deal that makes it worth their while, I'd be all for that.

Something like Kuhnhackl + 1st.

Would Boston consider trading Spooner (just finished his arb @ $2.8M) for Sheary?

No thanks to Spooner.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Duchene is the last guy I want to discuss in terms of serious targets, it's a fantasy. Unless Sakic deals his disgruntled Center with his best player last year in Zadorov, it makes 0 sense to make a move for Duchene. JR also knows that his defense depth won him back 2 back cups, there's zero chance he moves Maatta just to make the 3C spot the envy of the league while weakening a defense that really can't take on losing a guy like Maatta without replacing him with another solid youngster that can play 19-20+ minutes.

I'm not sure what the other options are, there are quite a few other 3C type guys, namely 3 on Vegas and then other lesser discussed targets.

The people who keep saying that JR will not trade Maatta for a 3C are not listening to the media in Pittsburgh. These folks have some pulse of the team (though admittedly positive mouthpieces only) and nearly all of them have said this summer that Maatta is considered to be a trade piece and very possibly for a 3C. Mackey here even goes so far as throw out Maatta for Bozak. Where there's smoke....

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/...at-penguins-july-27-2017/stories/201707270116

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Or we could talk about any number of other 3C targets. There's no shortage of them.

Name me some 3C targets that are on teams that aren't on contenders.

I see four teams that would be willing to trade their # 3 right now. Las Vegas, Colorado, and Vancouver.

Detroit's behavior makes me believe they have no committed to the rebuild yet. They might at the end of the year.

I look at our moves vs. Buffalo's moves this off season and I wonder how much impact did Butterball really have?

They made two really shrewd moves, we signed a 32 year old #6 for three years making his best money of his career and traded down in a draft along with our best center prospect when we are aching at center depth for a player that is gritty, but ultimately the exact opposite of what brought us Cups here.

I like Sullivan and Rutherford. I just think Rutherford has his warts and people are in that Shero phase with him. Which is awesome. I'm wearing my Pens hats every day and eating up the back to back. I still think Crosby leading this team to another cup in the next two years and cementing a dynasty with them would put him in top five of all time.

Trade

Guentzel is ELITE
Apr 13, 2015
Let's just sign Fehr again. He wanted to be a 4C, well here ya go!

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
The people who keep saying that JR will not trade Maatta for a 3C are not listening to the media in Pittsburgh. These folks have some pulse of the team (though admittedly positive mouthpieces only) and nearly all of them have said this summer that Maatta is considered to be a trade piece and very possibly for a 3C. Mackey here even goes so far as throw out Maatta for Bozak. Where there's smoke....

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/...at-penguins-july-27-2017/stories/201707270116

Right Mackey also would like to take his contract back as well, so if there's an axe to grind....

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Right Mackey also would like to take his contract back as well, so if there's an axe to grind....

He's not the only one though...Sam Werner also said it, as did Yohe and Madden. Everyone can't be biased. If everyone is citing Maatta as trade piece, it's coming from somewhere even if that trade never materializes.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Name me some 3C targets that are on teams that aren't on contenders.

I see four teams that would be willing to trade their # 3 right now. Las Vegas, Colorado, and Vancouver.

Detroit's behavior makes me believe they have no committed to the rebuild yet. They might at the end of the year.

We can speculate until we're blue in the face, but we don't have the intel that Rutherford does - he has a list of 5 centers he's focused in on, and back-up plans if those fall through. We don't know the particulars, but there's no shortage of potential options like Bozak, Duchene, Henrique, Staal, Staal, Faksa, Shore, Haula, Eakin, etc.

They made two really shrewd moves, we signed a 32 year old #6 for three years making his best money of his career and traded down in a draft along with our best center prospect when we are aching at center depth for a player that is gritty, but ultimately the exact opposite of what brought us Cups here.

I don't see the point of comparing the moves of a terrible team with the wiggle room and incentive to make big changes with a defending back-to-back champion looking to make tweaks.

I like Sullivan and Rutherford. I just think Rutherford has his warts and people are in that Shero phase with him. Which is awesome. I'm wearing my Pens hats every day and eating up the back to back. I still think Crosby leading this team to another cup in the next two years and cementing a dynasty with them would put him in top five of all time.

The guy's made a dozen shrewd moves to make this team the first back-to-back champ in 20 years. I think that earns him the benefit of the doubt on the 3C front when there are months to go before the start of the season, but clearly your mileage may vary.

Just remember this discussion when he does get a good 3C.

Corvidae

May 5, 2009
I still think that JR and Sakic are playing a game of chicken over Duchene.

I hope not. They need a 3rd line center, which shouldn't cost as much. Unless they would plan to have Duchene play 3rd line center, which would be a waste of his talent, cap space, and the assets to acquire him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad