Salary Cap: Salary Cap Summer | Coming to a close

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shaffer

GuentzGoal
May 20, 2017
Maatta(4.08m) for Eakin with 850k retained(3.00m) and Schmidt(2.25m)

5.25 cap hit coming in, 4.08 leaving.
Leaves 1.48m in cap space.
Enough for Cully and call up.

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
So of other teams are undervaluing guys starting the season and letting their production raise their value might be best... im still on the patient approach to get the best fit at the best price rather than force fit guys and have no assets to make an in season move later

Jenkins

Aug 2, 2017
British Columbia
We gain a good 3rd line center plus get a better skating #4/5...Idk I'm just throwing out ideas

Schmidt is a good player and if Maatta was dealt in a bigger deal I'd want JR to go after him. Not as a replacement if Eakin is the reason why though.

Maatta had a good year and should only get better

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I don't underestimate Matt Cullen's importance, hell I was super stoked when we signed him while a lot, and I mean A LOT, of people whined about "Oh wow, another veteran, are we ever going to play youth??" and then he becomes a fan favorites and suddenly everyone has no memory of saying that.

But I think the longer he takes to decide, the less likely he's coming back. He's had time to digest winning his cup last year and then doing it again, he's now won 3 cups, the last 2 back 2 back, he's 40yrs old, his kids got to see him win both...unless he feels he wants that 4th cup ring and try to do the Three-peat, I think he calls it quits and heads back home to Minnesota to take a College gig.

I'd LOVE to have him back, absolutely love his game and his invaluable experience and just how good he is on this team and his fit. But the more I think about it, the less I think he's coming back given everything. I think this past season was him burning out whatever he had left in the tank.

But I hope I am wrong and tomorrow he says "I'd love to return for 1 more year, let's see if we can do this Three-peat."

I think the opposite. The longer this goes on the more likely he wants to return. Otherwise, why not just announce your retirement already. I think he wants to play. He's training supposedly. I think he's seeing how his body feels, whether he wants to make the physical and mental commitment. Maybe he's negotiating with JR now for a bump in salary. Who knows. He may also be thinking about whether he'd rather play for the Wild. But I think he wants to play, or we'd have an announcement by now. It's just whether he wants to play here, whether he wants or can take the grind again and then coming to some agreement

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Maatta(4.08m) for Eakin with 850k retained(3.00m) and Schmidt(2.25m)

5.25 cap hit coming in, 4.08 leaving.
Leaves 1.48m in cap space.
Enough for Cully and call up.

If you substitute Haula for Eakin, no retention, I'd love the deal and think it would be a fair deal. But GMGM won't do it especially without significant overpayment like a 1st pick. Even then, I don't think he wants a long term contract like Maatta's on his roster given that they won't be any good for awhile

Shaffer

GuentzGoal
May 20, 2017
Schmidt is a good player and if Maatta was dealt in a bigger deal I'd want JR to go after him. Not as a replacement if Eakin is the reason why though.

Maatta had a good year and should only get better

Agreed but it's August and I'm bored

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I'd be floored if Sullivan went with this. Who's going to create traffic around the net and who's going to play defense?

Yeah I don't see that happening either. If Sheary or someone gets hurt he will get his shot. But if he's with Geno and Kessel, it's for a stint. Not a regular unit.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
That's not based on anything though. Wilson didn't have great linemates either. The entire argument is position-based.

Lindberg might be capable of being a good 3C...and Wilson might be capable of being a good 2nd/3rd line tweener for 1/3 the price. If there were a deal done with these two I'd understand it because of their positions, but we sure as **** shouldn't be adding to Wilson when their numbers are identical and our guy's cap hit is so much lower.

How often do you see wingers and centres of roughly the same quality get traded 1 to 1? Because my understanding is that very rarely happens. Its not like the cap hit difference is that big and it'll be a fair bit smaller next season anyway.

Bluntly, I think its fair for us to add to Wilson to get Lindberg or a centre of similar quality, and think we'd be appalled at the idea of doing the trade 1 to 1 if we were on the other end of this. There's a lot more wingers than centres out there.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
If Sprong is playing with Malkin, Kessel is going to be on the 3rd line. I'd imagine we'd see something like:

Guentzel-Crosby-Sheary
Sprong-Malkin-Hornqvist
Rust-3C-Kessel
Hagelin-4C-Reaves

If anyone in the top-6 got hurt, Rust would slide up (since he fits with both Sid and Geno) and Hagelin would go to the 3rd line.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Face facts guys, its gonna be Sprong-Malkin-Kessel. Calling it now.

For when? Because I'll gladly take that bet for the beginning of the season. No chance. I do hope they give him a lot of time in camp with Geno, but then again I don't want Geno/Sid to even play preseason games.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
If Sprong is playing with Malkin, Kessel is going to be on the 3rd line. I'd imagine we'd see something like:

Guentzel-Crosby-Sheary
Sprong-Malkin-Hornqvist
Rust-3C-Kessel
Hagelin-4C-Reaves

If anyone in the top-6 got hurt, Rust would slide up (since he fits with both Sid and Geno) and Hagelin would go to the 3rd line.

That is one heck of a lineup. Having Hagelin on your 4th line is amazing in a salary cap world.

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh

Guentzel-Crosby-Sheary
Sprong-Malkin-Hornqvist
Rust-3C-Kessel
Hagelin-4C-Reaves

That is a pretty dope lineup. So many things can move around. Horny can go up to Sid's line if Sheary or Jake are really struggling. Hags can move up and down. Rust can move up and down. Kessel clearly can play anywhere, except with Sid. :laugh:

Granted I think this is more-so for later in the year, it's pretty crazy the depth we have. Wilson, Kuhn, Archie are sitting at this point. I can make the case those guys are more-so NHL players than AHL at this point. Our 5th line could go toe to toe with some 4th lines. :laugh:

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I think it was Mackey that put the odds of Sprong starting the year with the Penguins at like 70%, so I wouldn't be so quick to rule out him starting with the Penguins. I'm not sure how much AHL time he needs, I'm pretty sure he's NHL ready right now.

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I think it was Mackey that put the odds of Sprong starting the year with the Penguins at like 70%, so I wouldn't be so quick to rule out him starting with the Penguins. I'm not sure how much AHL time he needs, I'm pretty sure he's NHL ready right now.

I mean we still have time to make deals, but players would have to hit waivers that most likely would be picked up.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I mean we still have time to make deals, but players would have to hit waivers that most likely would be picked up.

I'm expecting Archibald to be waived and Kuhnhackl or Pouliot to be traded before the season starts. That might get pushed back if Letang is still rehabbing early in the year.

Just thinking out loud, could anyone see the Penguins opening the season with Hornqvist on the 4th line if Sprong makes the NHL team? Keep Sprong on his natural wing when he gets comfortable to the pros with Hagelin on the 3rd line, and then gradually move him to LW and bump Hornqvist up.

Last edited:

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Speaking of Letang, I haven't heard an update in a long time. I can't believe DegenX is going to have to get an injury thread going in about a month. :laugh: Crazy how fast it goes when you win a Cup.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
I'd rahter run a Rust-Malkin-Sprong line. Rust is used to playing on his off wing. I don't think putting Sprong on his off wing is a good idea, rather put him where he is most comfortable. Maybe over time Sprong can adjust to playing both wings, but not right out the gate.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I'd rahter run a Rust-Malkin-Sprong line. Rust is used to playing on his off wing. I don't think putting Sprong on his off wing is a good idea, rather put him where he is most comfortable. Maybe over time Sprong can adjust to playing both wings, but not right out the gate.

You're already going to have Rust on his off wing, it's not Sprong or Rust on LW. Realistically, I feel like one of Sheary, Hornqvist or even Kessel needs to be moved within the next year (or let walk in free agency). There aren't enough scoring line spots for all of Guentzel, Sheary, Hornqvist, Kessel, Rust and Sprong unless Sullivan goes with combinations that he doesn't seem to like anymore or guys can switch to their off wing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad