Salary Cap: Salary Cap Summer | Coming to a close

Status
Not open for further replies.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Personally, I wonder how much it would take to get Bozak on a new contract. If he'd be willing to sign for 3-4 more years at around 3.75mil I'd pay the price to get him out of Toronto. However I think he's going to want a raise and not a slight pay cut.

If he puts up 20 goals and 50 points this season, he'll get around 5m. With that said, I find it very weird that the Leafs are over the cap currently at basically Bozak's cap hit.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
If he puts up 20 goals and 50 points this season, he'll get around 5m. With that said, I find it very weird that the Leafs are over the cap currently at basically Bozak's cap hit.

I mean, they've got 10.5M worth ltir and are carrying 15 forwards not including the two who will go on ltir.

wheelz87

LGP
Jun 28, 2011
Pittsburgh
Bjugstad is an interesting guy to try to buy low on if he is available.

Definitely a guy that intrigues me too. They'd have to retain some though.

Man, it's strange seeing this core all hovering around 30.

Sure is. Man time flies. Luckily, we're at last seeing what this team can do with the right guys in charge.

Personally, I wonder how much it would take to get Bozak on a new contract. If he'd be willing to sign for 3-4 more years at around 3.75mil I'd pay the price to get him out of Toronto. However I think he's going to want a raise and not a slight pay cut.

Yea he's making what, 4.2 this year? He's lived up to his contract, can't see him signing for less. Prob will get a slight raise which lowers my enthusiasm for the guy.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I mean, they've got 10.5M worth ltir and are carrying 15 forwards not including the two who will go on ltir.

But I believe they have to be under before the start of the season where they can LTIR

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
But I believe they have to be under before the start of the season where they can LTIR

The Leafs have a confusing cluster **** of a cap situation and the NHL is still the NHL. They're fine right now because they're not exceeding the cap by more than 10% but they'd have to be compliant before using ltir at the beginning of the season except...

https://www.pensionplanpuppets.com/2017/7/11/15956056/toronto-maple-leafs-ltir-no-one-knows-what-is-going-on-nhl-off-season-connor-brown
https://www.capfriendly.com/articles/39/updated-determining-the-off-season-cap-space-of-the-maple-leafs
https://www.capfriendly.com/ltir-faq

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
The Leafs have a confusing cluster **** of a cap situation and the NHL is still the NHL. They're fine right now because they're not exceeding the cap by more than 10% but they'd have to be compliant before using ltir at the beginning of the season except...

https://www.pensionplanpuppets.com/2017/7/11/15956056/toronto-maple-leafs-ltir-no-one-knows-what-is-going-on-nhl-off-season-connor-brown
https://www.capfriendly.com/articles/39/updated-determining-the-off-season-cap-space-of-the-maple-leafs
https://www.capfriendly.com/ltir-faq

Yeah, that just made everything 1000 times more confusing.

I know they are fine exceeding the cap now, but I thought right before the puck dropped on opening night, they had to be compliant. I guess...not? Do they take that as a penalty against their cap next season? Real weird stuff.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve

I know they are fine exceeding the cap now, but I thought right before the puck dropped on opening night, they had to be compliant. I guess...not? Do they take that as a penalty against their cap next season? Real weird stuff.

Yeah, I'm going to assume that they're good next season or have something about lupul or Horton up their sleeve because it's a lot more complicated than Bozak's cap hit. Brown still has to be re-signed, Matthews, marner and nylander have performance bonuses this year and next to account for, they've got multiple 35+ contracts to worry about and they couldn't take salary back in a Bozak trade right now. I'm not sure Bozak being traded would even get them cap compliant without someone like fehr being traded. Bozak out, brown re-signed, fehr traded or waived, another forward demoted. It could be close and then there would still bonus overages next season. I think. There's got to be something with the LTIR.

It's stupid, tbh. Horton and lupul are retired due to injury, or at least Horton is. Let the man still get his money but not count against the cap on medical grounds. His career is over.

davemess

Apr 9, 2003
Scotland
I think at this point we need to temper our expectations of the kind of 3C we are going to be bringing in.

If we were going to make a big move then I think we would have done so already, due to the fact we would have needed to make some follow up trades to plug the holes that trade created.

At the moment I think we are looking at bringing in a guy that's not going to cost much in trade but who either has some potential to grow offensively in a larger role or a guy whose play has dipped recently and maybe just needs a change of scenery.

To me Buffalo (C Depth & Botts connection) or Detroit (Cap issues) are the most likely trading partners.

Jenkins

Aug 2, 2017
British Columbia
I think at this point we need to temper our expectations of the kind of 3C we are going to be bringing in.

If we were going to make a big move then I think we would have done so already, due to the fact we would have needed to make some follow up trades to plug the holes that trade created.

At the moment I think we are looking at bringing in a guy that's not going to cost much in trade but who either has some potential to grow offensively in a larger role or a guy whose play has dipped recently and maybe just needs a change of scenery.

To me Buffalo (C Depth & Botts connection) or Detroit (Cap issues) are the most likely trading partners.

I thinks it's the opposite. He needed to sort out the arbitration cases first so he knew what he was dealing with.

JR will try to land a bigger fish if he can. 3 cups in a row is almost impossible in this era but we are in a great position to compete again.

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina

Yeah so the TL;DR is you can implement LTIR in the off season, so with that they're still below the 10% maximum. Apparently this wasn't public knowledge because it wasn't released in whatever CBA documents we received and no team in the cap era has needed to exceed the cap to the point of LTIR relief, but per Bill Daly it's allowed.

NHL is a weird league where half of the points are made up and the rules don't matter lol

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
I really hope the Pens haven't been sitting in on their hands all summer waiting for a soon to be 41 year old, 4th liner, deciding if he's retiring or not.

I am surprised with the amount of people that wiukd seemingly support JR for not making a move for a 3C before the season starts. We are trying to win a third straight cup. Why go into the season with a huge gaping hole? Even if one of the young guys plays well in preseason and at the beginning of the year would you feel comfortable with them playing the entire season and playoffs?

Last edited:

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
The TOR talk reminds me of when Lupul was a name discussed on here for a potential winger for Sid or Geno.

I still can't really believe Phil freakin' Kessel is a Penguin. These are heady days.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Really hope Sprong can make the team out of camp.

Guentzel-Crosby-Sheary
Rust-Malkin-Sprong
As a top 6. I still like putting Kessel on his own line, so if Sprong can be too good to send back down, it will make our team so much better.

eXile59

Shirts on.
Jan 2, 2009
PA

Guentzel-Crosby-Sheary
Rust-Malkin-Sprong
As a top 6. I still like putting Kessel on his own line, so if Sprong can be too good to send back down, it will make our team so much better.

If he does it won't be at RW unless someone gets injured. RW- Sheary, Hornqvist, Kessel, Reaves.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017

Guentzel-Crosby-Sheary
Rust-Malkin-Sprong

As this shows, if ZAR or Sprong make the team as a wing out of camp, one of Horny, Kessel or Sheary is gone, or possibly Hagelin if they can find a trading partner. They are not going to play Horny on the fourth line in place of Reaves. A wing will have to be traded, likely RW

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
What's changed from the last time you voiced these worries that should stop me from trusting Rutherford to get it done without hurting the team's chances? Other than the elapse of time?

And I'm okay with Rowney getting a shake at 4C compared to the stop gap options out there.

We are a month and a week our from training camps starting. Teams really don't make moved then.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
As this shows, if ZAR or Sprong make the team as a wing out of camp, one of Horny, Kessel or Sheary is gone, or possibly Hagelin if they can find a trading partner. They are not going to play Horny on the fourth line in place of Reaves. A wing will have to be traded, likely RW

When it comes to Horny and Kessel, I would almost bet my entire life savings they aren't getting traded at the start of the season. That would be seriously dumb by the Pens. Sheary should be a keeper, too, unless the too good to be true deal falls in our lap. Sheary just gave the Pens a nice discount on a player who scores 5 on 5. Keep that man and utilize him. See what you can work with.

If ZAR or Sprong are ready, we can do it the same way we did with Guentzel. It will be perfect.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Today is literally the two year anniversary of Matt Cullen signing with the Penguins for the first time.

So can we complain after today haha? Also, as has been pointed out a million times, we already had Bonino and Fehr so we had the luxury of being patient. The situations aren't the same. Of course I will continue to be patient and positive, but being honest that I'm a little concerned shouldn't be viewed as a panicking and unreasonable position.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve

Yeah, no. Kessel isn't getting traded because ZAR or Sprong makes the team out of camp. Sheary just signed a great deal after actually producing really well in the NHL and can play LW. Hornqvist is a proven commodity that they need and people are hoping ZAR can replicate his net front presence but Hornqvist does it at an elite level. Hagelin is the cap casualty guy and, again, a rookie making the team out of training camp doesn't mean he's getting traded. Those two are a long way from pushing any of those guys out.

The safe bet is that they go the Guentzel route and then injuries play a part in the roster for the rest of the season. Hoard depth for a cup run with a fragile team that's played a lot of hockey and has Hornqvist as a pending FA. And, imo, there's a good chance the Pens oversold how close to NHL ready ZAR is.

The lineup as is could be really interesting given the guys who can play both wings.

Guentzel-Crosby-X
X-Malkin-X
Hagelin-X-Kessel
Wilson-X-Reaves

Hornqvist as a RW but Sheary and Rust can play both wings to fill in Crosby's RW and Malkin's line. Sullivan has tried Rust with Crosby multiple times and we know GCS works, Sheary-Hornqvist is a good pairing and I like Rust with Malkin. If Sprong or ZAR beat out other wingers then Wilson or Reaves ends up a HS... Reaves better damn well be in a legitimate competition with these young wingers and not guaranteed a spot because of grit and a stupid payment.

Nice flexibility.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
When it comes to Horny and Kessel, I would almost bet my entire life savings they aren't getting traded at the start of the season. That would be seriously dumb by the Pens. Sheary should be a keeper, too, unless the too good to be true deal falls in our lap. Sheary just gave the Pens a nice discount on a player who scores 5 on 5. Keep that man and utilize him. See what you can work with.

If ZAR or Sprong are ready, we can do it the same way we did with Guentzel. It will be perfect.

Right, so the point is they won't be making the squad out of camp, even if they're ready. They will be playing in the AHL no matter what to start the season unless there are injuries. And then if they play well when up, someone will be traded in season

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
So can we complain after today haha? Also, as has been pointed out a million times, we already had Bonino and Fehr so we had the luxury of being patient. The situations aren't the same. Of course I will continue to be patient and positive, but being honest that I'm a little concerned shouldn't be viewed as a panicking and unreasonable position.

Tell me why we don't have the luxury of being patient right now? Especially after winning back to back Cups.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Tell me why we don't have the luxury of being patient right now? Especially after winning back to back Cups.

Winning back to back cups was because of our forward depth specifically at center.

We are in the most difficult division in hockey and the last two years we've had six players that could potentially step up and play center in the regular season. Right now we have three. With one playing wing way more effectively than center in Downey.

Bonino is a solid defensive player who puts up 30 points a year that's going to be difficult to replace in August. If we go in season with our roster one injury to Crosby and Malkin could put us out of the playoffs or as a wild card.

Pick87your71Poison

Jul 3, 2008
The Burgh
Winning back to back cups was because of our forward depth specifically at center.

We are in the most difficult division in hockey and the last two years we've had six players that could potentially step up and play center in the regular season. Right now we have three. With one playing wing way more effectively than center in Downey.

Bonino is a solid defensive player who puts up 30 points a year that's going to be difficult to replace in August. If we go in season with our roster one injury to Crosby and alkin could put us out of the playoffs or as a wild card.

The Nick Bonino of last year was absolutely not good defensively or offensively at even strength outside of a few weeks late in the season. Do we need to fill that spot? Absolutely, but not urgently or forcing it without the right deal. We're nowhere near the start of the season, and even if it was early in the regular season, replacing the play of Bonino for most of last regular season is not a very difficult task and not the important think to focus on for a team like us that is more focused on what we do in the playoffs than just making the playoffs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad