Salary Cap: Salary Cap Summer | Coming to a close

Status
Not open for further replies.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Arbitrator awarded Schmidt 2 years at $2.25. Vegas wanted to pay a lot less.
Maybe we could get a three way trade going whereby we get Schmidt for a pick and/or prospect, and then flip him to TOR for Bozak, or keep him and then trade Maatta for a center...
You know, it's August. Desperate for news

If we got Schmidt i'm going to keep him rather then try and deal him. Schmidt+Haula would have been sick!

Jenkins

Aug 2, 2017
British Columbia
Hornqvist only played with Crosby for like 2 games in the playoffs, like games 1 and 2 against Washington but that's about it. Rust was Crosby's most common RW followed by Sheary.

It was most of the series against Washington (Sid was out for almost 2 games) then Hornqvist was hurt and was clearly injured even when playing so he didn't go back to L1.

Much better playoff line with Hornqvist on L1 than two smaller guys as Crosby's wingers.

CanadianPensFan1

Jun 13, 2014
Canada
The only way GMGM could have been more obvious about his intentions for the first few years of Vegas as an NHL team is if he bought one of those giant neon signs with "we are going to tank for picks" on it... its utterly shameful with what the NHL granted them...

It is a bit disappointing. I was really hoping they wouldn't be dreadful. Sure we knew they wouldn't be good. But I was hoping for at least competitive somewhat.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
All i gotta say is...holy damn is Duchenes value on HF and by Sakic right on with eachother. The guy had probably his worst season of his career and he's somehow worth like he just had his best season ever and he's worth the most of his career lmao! Maybe we should start telling HF that Maattas value is worthy of someone like Subban?

Remington 700

Jul 11, 2007
South Park, PA
All i gotta say is...holy damn is Duchenes value on HF and by Sakic right on with eachother. The guy had probably his worst season of his career and he's somehow worth like he just had his best season ever and he's worth the most of his career lmao! Maybe we should start telling HF that Maattas value is worthy of someone like Subban?

I'm not saying that Duchene is a bad player by any means but I've noticed that quite a few fanbases haven't accepted the fact thier teams are bad because thier players are bad. Cough*philly*cough.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
I'm not saying that Duchene is a bad player by any means but I've noticed that quite a few fanbases haven't accepted the fact thier teams are bad because thier players are bad. Cough*philly*cough.

Duchene is a really good player but no team is going to offer the moon +++ for a player that had a bad season plus he most likely wants out thanks to their idiot GM. Sure they entire team had a bad season but you don't trade $5 for $1.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
If Cullen retires or signs with Minny would anyone be down for say Karlsson for 3C and someone like Sodderberg or Bjugstad for 4C?

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
It was most of the series against Washington (Sid was out for almost 2 games) then Hornqvist was hurt and was clearly injured even when playing so he didn't go back to L1.

Much better playoff line with Hornqvist on L1 than two smaller guys as Crosby's wingers.

Hornqvist played with Crosby in games 1, 2, 5 and 6. He was moved off that line by game 7 for Rust, who stayed there until Sheary was put back on the top line.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve

Pretty sure Maatta's two cups make him more valuable than Subban. #ToewsRule

But for real I think Maatta has become under valued and under rated on hfboards. Notably by Avs fans. :laugh:

Once upon a time Duchene was essentially a point per game player. That time was three seasons ago and accounts for two seasons out of eight. And, if he hadn't had an adnormally high shooting percentage the season before last people would probably be talking abut his decline, rightly or wrongly. Sakic is a ****ing idiot trying to trade a player from three years ago. The Avs may have been complete **** this season but that doesn't erase the season Duchene just had or that the relationship is now toxic.

I wish them misery.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
If Cullen retires or signs with Minny would anyone be down for say Karlsson for 3C and someone like Sodderberg or Bjugstad for 4C?

They're both too expensive as 4Cs even with retention and have a histories of better offensive production before awful seasons than Carlsson has ever had. Karlsson would probably be more of a 4C insurance policy/competition for them and then he'd need another contract after this season. Soderberg's age and last season are somewhat concerning but Crosby-Malkin-Soderberg/Bjugstad-Karlsson could be some nice centre depth. Retention on Soderberg or Bjugstad would almost be a necessity to make it worth it and work for long.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Bjugstad is an interesting guy to try to buy low on if he is available.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Pretty sure Maatta's two cups make him more valuable than Subban. #ToewsRule

But for real I think Maatta has become under valued and under rated on hfboards. Notably by Avs fans. :laugh:

Once upon a time Duchene was essentially a point per game player. That time was three seasons ago and accounts for two seasons out of eight. And, if he hadn't had an adnormally high shooting percentage the season before last people would probably be talking abut his decline, rightly or wrongly. Sakic is a ****ing idiot trying to trade a player from three years ago. The Avs may have been complete **** this season but that doesn't erase the season Duchene just had or that the relationship is now toxic.

I wish them misery.

The funniest part is it's usually fans of really bad teams or teams that have been bad for years that consistently trash players on good teams and overrate their own.

"We had the ********* roster in over a decade, but there's no one except maybe Crosby and Malkin on the Penguins that we'd want on our team". Players who played key roles on back to back champions have no spot on bottom feeders. You heard it here, folks.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
So everyone still super confident in JR signing a 3C at low cost / one that replaces what Bonino brings.

Because at this point Cullen hadn't signed / We hadn't traded for Bones?

Cullen signed on Aug 5th in 2015 when we luckily had Fehr and Bones already signed as centers.

If anyone thinks we aren't going into the season with Rowney as our 4C, stop kidding yourself.

This summer is notably poor for a team attempting to "three peat" even if we acquire Karlsson.

Wouldn't be surprised to see us give up a player like Rust and a 1st ultimately to fill the holes in our bottom six when we could've easily just signed a stop gap. Love Cullen, but you don't wait until mid-August to address your 3C if you want to be a contender.

Really hope I get to eat these words.

orby

Jun 16, 2013
Erie, PA
www.youtube.com
So everyone still super confident in JR signing a 3C at low cost / one that replaces what Bonino brings.

Cullen signed on Aug 5th in 2015 when we luckily had Fehr and Bones already signed as centers.

If anyone thinks we aren't going into the season with Rowney as our 4C, stop kidding yourself.

This summer is notably poor for a team attempting to "three peat" even if we acquire Karlsson.

Wouldn't be surprised to see us give up a player like Rust and a 1st ultimately to fill the holes in our bottom six when we could've easily just signed a stop gap. Love Cullen, but you don't wait until mid-August to address your 3C if you want to be a contender.

Why on earth would they trade Rust and a 1st for a third line center?? The price they have to pay will not be nearly that high.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Why on earth would they trade Rust and a 1st for a third line center?? The price they have to pay will not be nearly that high.

I mean, I'm sure they could get a fill in for cheap.

If they want a player like Bonino that could eat defensive minutes so Malkin and Crosby didn't have to they are going to pay. Look at the deals Hanzal, Bonino, etc. got in UFA.

Teams realize center depth is essential and we are back to back champs. What team outside of Vegas, Vancouver and Colorado are selling us assets cheap? Also, who besides Vegas has any player that fits in cap wise?

Cap dumps aren't made in August and September, anyone thinking we aren't going into next season with Rowney as our 4C is just living off the coattails of the back to back championships. I understand it, but our team is going to be a mess in terms of depth if either Malkin or Crosby goes down in October or November.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
The Penguins would be in trouble if Crosby or Malkin went down early regardless of who their 3C was, because getting a 3C that could prevent that from hurting is nearly impossible. And no, Bonino wasn't that. Bonino was invisible for 80% of the regular season games he played here, and that's being generous with me calling him "invisible".

I also don't see what would be wrong with Rowney starting next year as the 4C. The Penguins have had worse 4th line centers in the past, plus Rowney has an upside that former guys like Vitale didn't have (just look at their AHL productions for evidence of that). If the Penguins had Karlsson-Rowney as their 3rd and 4th line centers, I think their bottom-6 centers would be fine. Not great, but fine.

Last edited:

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Just cuz you land a Sheahan or Karlsson cheap doesn't necessarily mean the search stops, imo.
Especially if Cullen doesn't come back.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
The funniest part is it's usually fans of really bad teams or teams that have been bad for years that consistently trash players on good teams and overrate their own.

"We had the ********* roster in over a decade, but there's no one except maybe Crosby and Malkin on the Penguins that we'd want on our team". Players who played key roles on back to back champions have no spot on bottom feeders. You heard it here, folks.

Because those players who can contribute to success would fail terribly surrounded by crap. It's true that they wouldn't be put in an amazingly position but you're not supposed to surround them with crap forever and they're pieces of not being a bad team. And because potential vs being in a prime situation means that players in good teams can only get worse while theirs will become HoF quality on a good team.

I get that the return is important for their future but Matt ****ing Duchene should not be expected to return a quarter of a rebuild at the best of times and they're trading him at a low point. Somewhere Sakic just felt a chill.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Just told Avs fans that Guentzel has more value than Duchene after they dismissed Guentzel as an option for Duchene because "he has more value to the Penguins than the Avs because of his contract" and "we don't need any small wingers". This should be fun :laugh:

Peat

Jun 14, 2016

What's changed from the last time you voiced these worries that should stop me from trusting Rutherford to get it done without hurting the team's chances? Other than the elapse of time?

And I'm okay with Rowney getting a shake at 4C compared to the stop gap options out there.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Just told Avs fans that Guentzel has more value than Duchene after they dismissed Guentzel as an option for Duchene because "he has more value to the Penguins than the Avs because of his contract" and "we don't need any small wingers". This should be fun :laugh:

I don't necessarily agree with you. Guentzel right now probably does have more value to us because there is something there with him and Sid. It's also not even a full season yet of games.

I think Duchene gets wildly underrated for what he brings to the game. I think when he goes to a different situation, he puts himself in the upper echelon of forwards in the game. It's not working in Colorado...for anybody. Every single players' point totals are in the toilet. It's wildly mismanaged.

Duchene is a young player with pedigree who can play center or wing, is as adept at passing as he is shooting, can be a faceoff ace, has blazing speed and plays the game with aggression. He's also a hockey nut. I'm not saying he (his contract) is right for this club, but I'd kill to have him. I think this type of environment would rejuvenate him, and it'd be scary what he could be.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Personally, I wonder how much it would take to get Bozak on a new contract. If he'd be willing to sign for 3-4 more years at around 3.75mil I'd pay the price to get him out of Toronto. However I think he's going to want a raise and not a slight pay cut.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad