Salary Cap: Salary Cap & Roster Building Thread: Your proposal is bad and you should feel bad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Why is that an issue? Look at Kadri. He gets 1st PP time. Do people use that as a reason to tear him down?

Bonino’s ability to seamlessly fill in as a 2C
is versatile and positive. Wouldn’t be surprised if we had a 3rd straight cup had we resigned him.

You're delusional. Between Letang having his "issues" and Malkin and Kessel being injured, we were not winning a cup last year, regardless of who our 3c was.

Bonino's ability to seamlessly fill in as a 2c is erratic and inconsistent. It's why when Turris was out earlier in the season Bonino in the 2c role had 1g/2pts in 7 games.

He had 7g and 14pts in 37 games on Dec 27th. Good for a 15g/31pt pace. He scored at a 13g/28pt pace last season. But he hits a hot streak this season due to another center being injured and puts up 7g/12pts in 13 games, and suddenly people think damn he's back. I think people still have HBK stuck in their minds, and no amount of reality will matter - as evidenced by your quip about a 3rd straight cup.

Reactions: JackFr

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Maybe chemistry isn't the right term, but they have a history of working well together. Not to mention that selling Kessel on playing away from Geno or Sid would be easier if they brought in someone who he's had success with.

I'll say the same thing I said last thread when @JTG brought up Bozak's name.

Bozak is just another lesser Brassard. He worked in Toronto, because he was used as an offensive center, while Kadri was used as the defensive center. Which one of Crosby/Malkin are you reverting to a defensive type of role to accommodate Bozak? I think for the same reasons Brassard has struggled here, Bozak would as well. Add in his term and cap hit, and I'd probably go with Sheahan over him.

Reactions: JackFr and Peat

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Disagree completely as I always have. Bonino might be the most under appreciated player in those back to back runs.

He was playing with Hagelin (who had 2 points in that run, yet is the player that Malkin needed) and Hornqvist with a broken hand. Huge goal to start off Game 1 in Nash.

Couple other huge plays in the Caps series. And him and Cullen took more than 80% of the d-zone starts that run.

You still need to score goals as a third pivot. Providing secondary scoring is absolutely essential for that role whenever a team has championship aspirations.

Having one goal in 18 games is massive underachieving, no matter what else you are doing.

Tons of guys can play a shutdown role, Pk, block shots and not score goals. This league is littered with those guys, actually. They plugged Rowney and Cullen into the lineup when Bones got hurt and didn’t miss a beat.

You simply can’t rely on a rookie to go on an epic run to cover up the fact your third pivot isn’t providing secondary scoring.

That was a completely unsustainable run that this league may never see again. It defied all odds.

Reactions: Riptide

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
You still need to score goals as a third pivot. Providing secondary scoring is absolutely essential for that role whenever a team has championship aspirations.

Having one goal in 18 games is massive underachieving, no matter what else you are doing.

Tons of guys can play a shutdown role, Pk, block shots and not score goals. This league is littered with those guys, actually. They plugged Rowney and Cullen into the lineup when Bones got hurt and didn’t miss a beat.

You simply can’t rely on a rookie to go on an epic run to cover up the fact your third pivot isn’t providing secondary scoring.

That was a completely unsustainable run that this league may never see again. It defied all odds.

You do realize that Bonino had 4 goals in 15-16 in the playoffs

And then..

4 goals in 16-17 in the playoffs. Right?

He went 13 games in the playoff without a goal. He had a goal in the CBJ series and a GW in the Caps series.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
You do realize that Bonino had 4 goals in 15-16 in the playoffs

And then..

4 goals in 16-17 in the playoffs. Right?

He went 13 games in the playoff without a goal. He had a goal in the CBJ series and a GW in the Caps series.

You do realize he had 14 helpers vs 3, which I touched on way back. As I said back then during the original argument, you didn’t have Kessel on your third line to score goals during that second run, so a guy like Bonino had to step up in that dept and he fell flat on his face. And once again, Guentzel bailed him out.

So basically Bones couldn’t provide secondary scoring, nor was he setting up any goals. 3 assists in 21 games? C’mon now... Rowney got that many in one damn game.

Reactions: Riptide

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011
I wonder if they'd go after Fowler..

Dumo - Letang
Fowler - Schultz
Pettersson - Johnson
I think we're better off going for Montour. Not to knock on Fowler, but having L/R D pairings would be nice. If GMJR would also manage to move JMFJ we'd be set.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
You do realize he had 14 helpers vs 3, which I touched on way back. As I said back then during the original argument, you didn’t have Kessel on your third line to score goals during that second run, so a guy like Bonino had to step up in that dept and he fell flat on his face. And once again, Guentzel bailed him out.

So basically Bones couldn’t provide secondary scoring, nor was he setting up any goals. 3 assists in 21 games? C’mon now... Rowney got that many in one damn game.

Our depth forwards were all trash offensively in that run though..?

Wilson, Rowney, Hagelin, Hornqvist, Rust, and Sheary all had less than 10 points. Kunitz has 11, but that was largely due to playing with Sid later.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004

Wilson, Rowney, Hagelin, Hornqvist, Rust, and Sheary all had less than 10 points. Kunitz has 11, but that was largely due to playing with Sid later.

- Wilson and Rowney were bit players and Hags missed the entire first series, and played with a bad foot the rest of the way.

- Hornqvist was doing fine until he got hurt in the first game of the Ott series... after the first two series he already matched Bones numbers for the entire run... 4 and 3. He came back and played injured in the Nashville series, and had his role reduced, but still scored the cup winner.

- Sheary has been blasted numerous times for disappearing in the playoffs.

- Rust potted seven goals, and every game he scored in they won.

Your only legit comparison is Sheary, a guy chided for being a playoff ghost.

Reactions: WheresRamziAbid

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon

They were last year too, but that didn't stop people from trashing everyone they didn't like, and then making excuses for those they did.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Well what is clear is we haven't found an adequate replacement for what Bones-Cullen provided in '16 and '17 yet and spent a fair amount of assets trying to find it. I really hope they give TB a shot soon as Jiggy says, because cheap young contributing talent would be huge for this team moving forward.

Reactions: Justin Sickways

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Well what is clear is we haven't found an adequate replacement for what Bones-Cullen provided in '16 and '17 yet and spent a fair amount of assets trying to find it. I really hope they give TB a shot soon as Jiggy says, because cheap young contributing talent would be huge for this team moving forward.

Trading Grant really clear's the way for that. Perhaps not immediately, but certainly a lot sooner then would have been the case a few weeks ago.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
- Wilson and Rowney were bit players and Hags missed the entire first series, and played with a bad foot the rest of the way.

- Hornqvist was doing fine until he got hurt in the first game of the Ott series... after the first two series he already matched Bones numbers for the entire run... 4 and 3. He came back and played injured in the Nashville series, and had his role reduced, but still scored the cup winner.

- Sheary has been blasted numerous times for disappearing in the playoffs.

- Rust potted seven goals, and every game he scored in they won.

Your only legit comparison is Sheary, a guy chided for being a playoff ghost.

I guess. Rust also scored 6 of his seven goals with either Malkin or Sid.

If Bonino is such a marginal player how come we
are having such a pain in the ass moving tons of assets to replace him?

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
In Friedman's 31 thoughts, he mentioned that Janmark from Dallas is being dangled right now. If Dallas is interested in Brassard, I could see Brassard for Janmark+ making some sense. It does fit the struggling player for struggling player mold, Janmark had 27 ES points in each of his first 2 seasons in the NHL. It may be an interesting option to look at.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
I guess. Rust also scored 6 of his seven goals with either Malkin or Sid.

If Bonino is such a marginal player how come we are having such a pain in the ass moving tons of assets to replace him?

Replacing what he brought in 2017? We're not - that's actually fairly easy. Sheahan did it last season. Cost us a 3rd and Wilson (and we got a 5th back).

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
In Friedman's 31 thoughts, he mentioned that Janmark from Dallas is being dangled right now. If Dallas is interested in Brassard, I could see Brassard for Janmark+ making some sense.

Yeah, but unless we're good to go with Sheahan (something I doubt), unless there's a plan somewhere else to bring in a center (or as part of the same deal), I don't see them moving Brassard for a winger. And I can't see Dallas being all that willing to do Janmark+Faksa/Dickinson unless we're adding, and I doubt a pick would be enough, as the only reason they're making the deal is in an attempt to make the POs. Although on the flip side with 15pts, it's not like Janmark has been lighting things up.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Yeah, but unless we're good to go with Sheahan (something I doubt), unless there's a plan somewhere else to bring in a center (or as part of the same deal), I don't see them moving Brassard for a winger. And I can't see Dallas being all that willing to do Janmark+Faksa/Dickinson unless we're adding, and I doubt a pick would be enough, as the only reason they're making the deal is in an attempt to make the POs. Although on the flip side with 15pts, it's not like Janmark has been lighting things up.

Janmark would be used as a center, not as a winger. Janmark can play both from the sounds of it. Your 3rd line would be something like Pearson-Janmark-Kessel, which actually looks pretty good on paper.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Replacing what he brought in 2017? We're not - that's actually fairly easy. Sheahan did it last season. Cost us a 3rd and Wilson.

I know the numbers probably don't back me up and I'm super biased, but I think Sheahan sucks relative to Bones. Sheahan was ghosting it in the playoffs and like I said, I'm sure my memory is clouded from the Bones glory days, but I always thought Bones gave everything he had, whereas Sheahan was Suttering around most of the time.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Janmark would be used as a center, not as a winger. Janmark can play both from the sounds of it. Your 3rd line would be something like Pearson-Janmark-Kessel, which actually looks pretty good on paper.

He can, but unless I'm mistaken, he hasn't played much center in Dallas. I like the player though and would be happy to acquire him.

Reactions: BHD

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
He can, but unless I'm mistaken, he hasn't played much center in Dallas. I like the player though and would be happy to acquire him.

That is true, but he apparently played center the entire time he was in the SHL (never played in the AHL). I think it's a similar situation to Shore, they had so many centers that they played multiple centers on the wing. In Janmark's first year, they had Seguin, Spezza, Eakin, Faksa (for half the season) and Fiddler on the roster, plus Benn played a fair amount of center that year. It was a similar situation last year, where they had Hanzal and Shore instead of Eakin and Fiddler plus the other 4 players.

Reactions: Shady Machine

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
The more I read about Janmark, the more I want the Penguins to gamble on him being able to play center. He's fast, skilled, defensively responsible and kills penalties, which is basically a complete package for what I want out of my 3C. I think because you have Sheahan, you can gamble on guys like Janmark being able to play center. If nothing else, you added a fast and skilled LWer to help your depth scoring and Sheahan becomes your 3C. The best case scenario is that you get a nearly complete package 3C for what the Penguins need out of their 3C.

Janmark definitely jumps out to me to being in the same category as Jarnkrok, a center that's playing wing on a team with a lot of centers. Sure, there's a risk there, but the potential reward is super high.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon

Janmark has never played as a center in the NHL. If we're getting him, it would be as a winger and not a center.

Here's his FO numbers:
15/16: 260 total
16/17: missed entire season
17/18: 180
18/19: 16

Career winning% is 37.7%.

Reactions: Turin
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad