Salary Cap: Salary Cap & Roster Building Thread: Your proposal is bad and you should feel bad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Well half of his goals and 12 of his 26 points have come in the span that Turris was out... so apparently that is the case.

Why is that an issue? Look at Kadri. He gets 1st PP time. Do people use that as a reason to tear him down?

Bonino’s ability to seamlessly fill in as a 2C is versatile and positive. Wouldn’t be surprised if we had a 3rd straight cup had we resigned him.

Spoonman32

Jun 22, 2011
Think JR would eventually like to fix both the 3rd line to where they can play Phil on it again and his middle pairing D, instead of just hoping Olli-Schultz is awesome.

Also think he watched that west road trip and realized this team needs to get faster again.

What he can come up with atm? No clue....
But he can clear cap pretty quickly...Brass, Sheahan, Ruh and/or Rig.

I believe that is the key to success for this team. We aren't going to be nearly as good defensively as the past two Cup teams. Sid, Geno, and Phil on separate lines creating match-up problems for the opposition is the way to go.

That's why I wanted Bozak and still do if available. Proven chemistry with Phil, fits the system, and checks off all the boxes in what we need out of a center not named Sid or Geno. Did I mention he's proven to work with Phil?

There's only a few more Conn Smythe level years left in Sid and Geno and we've already wasted time on experiments to fill out the center depth which has also put us in a position with no signed centers with NHL experience other than Sid and Geno.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
I’m not sure Phil really has chemistry with anybody. He doesn’t really cycle, he just does his thing. He doesn’t one time. Anybody who can break out of the zone on an odd man is who he has “chemistry” with.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I really think the Pens aren’t trading for any more D men and will never trade Maatta...lol...think they’d like to sell one or two though...having said that, I like your previous suggestion of trying to get both Tierney/Pageau and Dzingel from OTT...what will that cost? Likely futures we don’t have or want to part with, and it’ll likely start with Addison, etc and our first and probably a second first that we’ll need to get from trading Brass...

Rutherford's been sniffing around high quality dmen for too long for me to believe this. I don't know if its his priority, but I feel pretty sure its on his mind.

Spoonman32

Jun 22, 2011
I’m not sure Phil really has chemistry with anybody. He doesn’t really cycle, he just does his thing. He doesn’t one time. Anybody who can break out of the zone on an odd man is who he has “chemistry” with.

Maybe chemistry isn't the right term, but they have a history of working well together. Not to mention that selling Kessel on playing away from Geno or Sid would be easier if they brought in someone who he's had success with.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I wouldn't do Brassard for Bonino because I don't want to trade for retreads or players who have already gotten their big contracts. I want to acquire the 2015 Bonino, not the 2019 Bonino.

Coincidentally, I actually think Riley Nash could be that 2015 Bonino. I wouldn't want to go after him, but I would certainly understand why he could be a target. I also thought of another Brassard trade that may make some sense: Brassard to Colorado for Colin Wilson and picks/prospects to use to target other rentals.

Last edited:

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Why is that an issue? Look at Kadri. He gets 1st PP time. Do people use that as a reason to tear him down?

Bonino’s ability to seamlessly fill in as a 2C is versatile and positive. Wouldn’t be surprised if we had a 3rd straight cup had we resigned him.

The Pens missing link last season was a guy who had a horrendous stretch of one goal in 18 playoff games?

Ok.

Good thing Guentzel went on a historic playoff run as a rookie and MAF and Murray stood on their heads, or Bones would be remembered as one of the main culprits who choked that season and cost them a chance at b2b cups.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I wouldn't do Brassard for Bonino because I don't want to trade for retreads or players who have already gotten their big contracts. I want to acquire the 2015 Bonino, not the 2019 Bonino.

Coincidentally, I actually think Riley Nash could be that 2015 Bonino. I wouldn't want to go after him, but I would certainly understand why he could be a target. I also thought of another Brassard trade that may make some sense: Brassard to Colorado for Colin Wilson and picks/prospects to use to target other rentals.

What historical evidence do you have to suggest Riley Nash could be 2015 Bonino? Outside of 1 season, Nash is a 20ish ES point guy and that's a bit generous. Bones is pretty consistently a 25-30point ES guy and has shown if given more opportunity, he can produce even more.

I know some of us probably get a bit too stoked on Bones, but I think a fair amount of this board downplays (not saying you) his significance to the Pens and the quality of player he is. I'd gladly have him back on this team although cap considerations are important. If I can go back in time, I'd have signed him to that 4MM contract and not brought in Sheahan or Brassard (I even said that during that summer). JR would have saved a shit ton of assets and at worst, Pens would be in the same spot.

Reactions: Justin Sickways

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
What historical evidence do you have to suggest Riley Nash could be 2015 Bonino? Outside of 1 season, Nash is a 20ish ES point guy and that's a bit generous. Bones is pretty consistently a 25-30point ES guy and has shown if given more opportunity, he can produce even more.

I know some of us probably get a bit too stoked on Bones, but I think a fair amount of this board downplays (not saying you) his significance to the Pens and the quality of player he is. I'd gladly have him back on this team although cap considerations are important. If I can go back in time, I'd have signed him to that 4MM contract and not brought in Sheahan or Brassard (I even said that during that summer). JR would have saved a **** ton of assets and at worst, Pens would be in the same spot.

When I said a "2015 Bonino", I meant an under the radar type of center who haven't gotten a big contract extension yet. I think Nash would satisfy that, although him having a terrible year makes me not want to go after him. I just get why Nash might be a target, he's not the big and flashy name like Faksa or Pageau, but he's an under the radar option who doesn't make much money and fits a lot of what the Penguins need out of their 3C.

I wouldn't have wanted to retain Bonino, even with his strong play this year, I'm glad they let him go. You churn and burn through depth players like him, you get use out of him when they're cheap and then let them walk. You don't overpay to keep depth players, which is a reason I'm glad they traded Hagelin this year. I wanted to let Bonino walk and find the next Bonino since 2017, it's 2019 now and they just haven't found that guy yet. I'm not at the point of wanting to go back to Bonino, I still want to find the next Bonino.

Reactions: Riptide

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Rutherford's been sniffing around high quality dmen for too long for me to believe this. I don't know if its his priority, but I feel pretty sure its on his mind.

We’ll see...he sniffed around last year too without accomplishing a move....I think a lot depends on how Schultz performs returning from injury...

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
We’ll see...he sniffed around last year too without accomplishing a move....I think a lot depends on how Schultz performs returning from injury...

Oh - my bad - were you saying you didn't think Rutherford could swing it, not that you didn't think Rutherford was trying to swing it?

Reactions: Andy99

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
The Pens missing link last season was a guy who had a horrendous stretch of one goal in 18 playoff games?

Ok.

Good thing Guentzel went on a historic playoff run as a rookie and MAF and Murray stood on their heads, or Bones would be remembered as one of the main culprits who choked that season and cost them a chance at b2b cups.

Bonino was a huge reason (along with Cullen) that our 1st line was able to play softer minutes in 16-17. Also, I’m speaking more on the cost certainty of a 3C and the fact that our pick and prospects could’ve been used in a trade for a defenseman.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Bonino was a huge reason (along with Cullen) that our 1st line was able to play softer minutes in 16-17. Also, I’m speaking more on the cost certainty of a 3C and the fact that our pick and prospects could’ve been used in a trade for a defenseman.

I think you could have plugged any decently responsible third line pivot into Bones role for that run, and the results would have been the same. He got extremely lucky Guentzel carried him on his back, or he was going to be wearing a huge dunce cap.

Pens have had an ideal third pivot that ensures cost certainty sitting in WBS for the last two seasons rotting away. I’ve been saying that for quite some time now, but they decided to use journeyman coal miners like Rowney, Grant, McKegg and of course Garrett Wilson for the ultimate slap in TBs face.

That’s worked out swell so far.

Now you are still searching for that guy, even though TBs been waving both hands in front of their stupid ass faces for awhile.

Last edited:

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
Meh take away the period HBK catches fire and Bones is a massive disappointment here... his shotblocking was nice but that kind of stuff does make you worry about injury issues that you don’t want when he is making over 4 mil per... he is and always will be streaky... i still think sheahan has a lot more of boninos attributes if he just plays the defensive first game he is suited for...

Brass is a pure offensive guy who is out of place trying to drive offense from the defensive zone... a struggling #2 with upside that is more defensive is probably a much better target... phil can drive offense we don’t need more playmakers, just steady guys with a litte finishing touch if possible

Reactions: Riptide

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
I think you could have plugged any decently responsible third line pivot into Bones role for that run, and the results would have been the same. He got extremely lucky Guentzel carried him on his back, or he was going to be wearing a huge dunce cap.

Pens have had an ideal third pivot that ensures cost certainty sitting in WBS for the last two seasons rotting away. I’ve been saying that for quite some time now, but they decided to use journeyman coal miners like Rowney, Grant, McKegg and of course Garrett Wilson for the ultimate slap in TBs face.

That’s worked out swell so far.

Now you are still searching for that guy, even though TBs been waving both hands in front of their stupid ass faces for awhile.

Disagree completely as I always have. Bonino might be the most under appreciated player in those back to back runs.

He was playing with Hagelin (who had 2 points in that run, yet is the player that Malkin needed) and Hornqvist with a broken hand. Huge goal to start off Game 1 in Nash.

Couple other huge plays in the Caps series. And him and Cullen took more than 80% of the d-zone starts that run.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad