Salary Cap: Salary Cap & Roster Building Thread: Get your trade rumors here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
It’s not even a big deal if he has retention and if Oleksiak is dumped.

It is next year though besides that the factors all make almost impossible. Carolina won’t want to retain for 4 years and Staal has a NMC who didn’t want to be a 3C here.

DeadPuckEra

Dec 19, 2014
It is next year though besides that the factors all make almost impossible. Carolina won’t want to retain for 4 years and Staal has a NMC who didn’t want to be a 3C here.

We don’t know, in 2019, that Staal wouldn’t be comfortable being the 3c in Pittsburgh. He and his agent aren’t dumb, they know he would be getting a shit load of playing time, even at 3c.

If I’m Staal, and you’re giving me Hornqvist, Pearson - matching up against other teams third D pairing - and a perrenial chance to win cups (for the foreseeable future)... I’m really considering that.

I can’t see him valuing “toiling away” in Carolina > that scenario.

Reactions: Turin

JackFr

Jun 18, 2010
Muzzin would be a fantastic trade target for us. He would look awesome next to Schultz.

I defend Maatta more than most on here but if we could move out Maatta and bring in Muzzin that's a massive win.

I swear if we trade for f***ing Ferland and then Muzzin goes to Montreal or something for the same price tag I will be upset.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Muzzin would be a fantastic trade target for us. He would look awesome next to Schultz.

I defend Maatta more than most on here but if we could move out Maatta and bring in Muzzin that's a massive win.

Well...duh.

I'd still target Martinez over Muzzin. He'll be cheaper to acquire.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Staal is basically playing the 3C role in Carolina anyway. His stats are the same there as they were here as the 3C.

JackFr

Jun 18, 2010
Well...duh.

I'd still target Martinez over Muzzin. He'll be cheaper to acquire.
That's true, but Muzzin is a better player by a solid margin. I'd rather pay extra for him to be honest. Martinez seems more inconsistent.

Reactions: Turin

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
That's true, but Muzzin is a better player by a solid margin. I'd rather pay extra for him to be honest. Martinez seems more inconsistent.

I really don't think so. I think Muzzin is just a bigger name but they're pretty much equal tbh. Muzzin is better, but not so much.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I agree and we better ****ing get Panarin for him!
It's possible we can, as Brass might actually stay in CBJ.

But Panarin added would mean the 3rd line would stay as it is and the 2nd line wouldn't get much shifting either, which would be a great thing as it'd allow the team to build some solid chemistry on all 4 lines with minimal shifting.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012

First off, we don't even have a top prospect to give up and our 1st might be low as hell.

Muzzin is a pipe dream, won't happen and honestly, I am ok with that. I think we need to subtract less desirable options as we have decent ones that should be used instead.

Riikola should be in over Oleksiak.
Schultz in should mean get the f*** out Maatta.

I'm almost ok with JJ because Pettersson baby sits his dumb ass enough to be ok, which means a duo of Riikola + Schultz could be a thing.

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
No, but Guentzel's jump from an ELC to $6 million is a massive jump. Hence why the Penguins couldn't afford Staal at $4.5 million without trading an expensive forward. The Penguins just aren't going to go with Riikola as their #6 and a cheap typical #6/7 D, if they'd be getting rid of Johnson, they'd be keeping Oleksiak.

If they would get rid of Johnson, I guarantee they'd keep Oleksiak and have the bottom pair be Pettersson-Oleksiak. There is no chance they would get rid of both Johnson and Oleksiak, no team willingly leaves themselves that thin on defense.

You say that about a team that played a defenseman short for a part of one season due to cap stupidity

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
It's also possible that the Jackets have soured on Wennberg after a new contract, he has 1 goal in 40+ games, even if we just land him or that's the selling point, I still try to get Panarin from the Jackets if I am JR. AW has been trending downwards with his production with the Jackets since his 50+ pt season, last year he was on pace for around 43pts, this year he's at around a 32pt pace. Not good for a guy that they were hoping would be their top 6 guy. AW is also 24, so the right age to keep there and let him grow, I like his game a lot...solid underrated player.

Brassard, Blueger, Oleksiak, 1st, for Panarin and Wennberg.

AW is a pass first guy, so if you were to ever find a C that will definitely benefit from two shooters like Pearson + Kessel, that'd be the guy. I'd even be open to sending them Jarry as well since the Jackets might be looking for a new #1 as well.

Guentzel, Crosby, Rust
Panarin, Malkin, Hornqvist
Pearson, Wennberg, Kessel
Sheahan, Cullen, ZAR/Simon - Someone would need to go.

JackFr

Jun 18, 2010
First off, we don't even have a top prospect to give up and our 1st might be low as hell.

Muzzin is a pipe dream, won't happen and honestly, I am ok with that. I think we need to subtract less desirable options as we have decent ones that should be used instead.

Schultz in should mean get the **** out Maatta.

I'm almost ok with JJ because Pettersson baby sits his dumb ass enough to be ok, which means a duo of Riikola + Schultz could be a thing.

Ugh I agree on Muzzin but let me have my fantasy.

And I could not disagree with you more on Riikola (who by any measure has been our worst defenceman in every category but pretty skating) but I agree that we should make a move to get at least Johnson and preferably Oleksiak out of the lineup.

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Ugh I agree on Muzzin but let me have my fantasy.

And I could not disagree with you more on Riikola (who by any measure has been our worst defenceman in every category but pretty skating) but I agree that we should make a move to get at least Johnson and preferably Oleksiak out of the lineup.
Riikola has been fine when he gets games, the issue is you have a guy that has the talent and potential but they play him so rarely that it f***s with it. When Riikola gets a few games to settle back in, he looks good, it's the first 1-2 games where he looks meh and that's on the Pens.

Ruhwedel is a guy that is used to that sort of thing, Juuso isn't. He was a regular back in Europe. He's being used sparingly here and it's hard to keep that momentum.

Johnson won't be moved, I have given up on that hope. But Oleksiak and/or Maatta might be gone, I hope.

JackFr

Jun 18, 2010
Riikola has been fine when he gets games, the issue is you have a guy that has the talent and potential but they play him so rarely that it ****s with it. When Riikola gets a few games to settle back in, he looks good, it's the first 1-2 games where he looks meh and that's on the Pens.

Ruhwedel is a guy that is used to that sort of thing, Juuso isn't. He was a regular back in Europe. He's being used sparingly here and it's hard to keep that momentum.

Johnson won't be moved, I have given up on that hope. But Oleksiak and/or Maatta might be gone, I hope.
I think he's gotta go to the AHL. I think his timing is off and his decisions in the defensive zone just aren't fast enough and he's getting caved in as a result. Let him get used to the NA game.

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017
Staal is basically playing the 3C role in Carolina anyway. His stats are the same there as they were here as the 3C.

His ATOI for the last 4.5 seasons has been in the top 2 for forwards and never below 3rd in his whole time for Carolina. So he’s not

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017

Schultz in should mean get the **** out Maatta.

If we move Maatta we’d need to get a proven D man. Riikola isn’t a top 4 D man and to expect to be going into the playoffs is pretty risky and no way JR takes that risk. When healthy Riikola is the #7 at the moment.

Pettersson will probably get there but again it’s risky to rely on that so soon plus he’s forming a pretty good bottom pair with JJ.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
If we move Maatta we’d need to get a proven D man. Riikola isn’t a top 4 D man and to expect to be going into the playoffs is pretty risky and no way JR takes that risk. When healthy Riikola is the #7 at the moment.

Pettersson will probably get there but again it’s risky to rely on that so soon plus he’s forming a pretty good bottom pair with JJ.

I'd look at a rental in one of the deals as a buffer.

But I think if you have Riikola as the rookie in that group, we're fine.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018

He’s getting a way better opportunity in Pittsburgh and if Carolina wants to move him, you don’t think this would be the first place of interest?

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
Im sorry guys, but CBJ isn't sending Panarin to a team they will face in the first two rounds of the playoffs, and if he is traded at all will go for a Hossa level return, which we can't afford. Stick to the Brass for and equivalent underperforming player deal and give up the delusions of grandeur.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad