Salary Cap: Salary Cap & Roster Building Thread: Get your trade rumors here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
That defense is literally no worse than it is right now. Johnson is not better at anything but boxing guys out and throwing hits than Rik. And if Pettersson keeps progressing, he's likely bumping Maatta down to the bottom pair in the very near future. I'm not a huge Maatta fan, but he's worked very well with Rik and is a pretty quality #5 in this scenario. Depth D-men are always out there via trade or late in the summer that don't require 2-3 mil against the cap.

As for beyond next year and into Murray's extension, deal with it then. JR's about the now and will create the cap room as needed. Schultz likely is gone. Maybe a young forward in the system replaces one of our established guys.

It is dramatically worse than what it is right now because it's 2 less NHL caliber guys that can play #5 minutes or more, hence why I said it's "insanely shallow". 1 injury to any of Letang, Dumoulin and Schultz and your defense is legitimately horrible. And you want to let Schultz go after the year to accommodate Staal being the 3C? So you think they should take a shallow defense that's 1 injury away from being horrid and getting rid of their 3rd best defenseman? That's not how you build a team, you don't keep expensive players and sacrifice your depth in all other positions.

Again, if you want Staal, you better start looking at Kessel trade scenarios. Even with gutting your defensive depth, Carolina retaining an unreasonable amount on Staal and the cap increasing at a very optimistic rate, you can barely afford Staal. It just doesn't work and it isn't a move the Penguins should be making.

Reactions: JackFr

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Just dump Johnson and Olekitrash to make room for Staal.

Literally any ELC AHL D can do their job

Reactions: Turin

NMK11

Apr 6, 2013
I am already including guys like Blueger, Dea and Blandisi being on the 4th line when I say this: you can't afford Staal without trading Kessel. That is the only way that you can afford Staal, because you're not going to gut your already questionable defense in order to afford Staal (and I'm not even sure you can even afford him with doing that). This lineup with Staal at $4.5 million, Pettersson at $2 million, ZAR at $900k and everyone else at $750k is slightly over $82 million:

Guentzel-Crosby-Rust
Simon-Malkin-Kessel
Pearson-Staal-Hornqvist
ZAR-Blueger-Blandisi
Dea-DiPauli

Dumoulin-Letang
Maatta-Schultz
Pettersson-Riikola
Ruhwedel

Murray-DeSmith

So you have virtually no cap space and your defense is insanely shallow, and that's being optimistic that the cap increases to $82.5 million or more. After that year, you have to worry about extensions for Simon and Murray, too. It just doesn't work, if you want an expensive 3C, you have to trade Kessel or you have to get fancy with trading Maatta. Those are your only options.
It works, and that's not a bad lineup to be honest. The fourth line could be meh, but the top 9 is solid. Not worried about that D either, Ruh is a capable 7D in this league.

Also, I know Staal isn't the most physical, but that third line looks like it would be a bitch to play against.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
It works, and that's not a bad lineup to be honest. The fourth line could be meh, but the top 9 is solid. Not worried about that D either, Ruh is a capable 7D in this league.

Also, I know Staal isn't the most physical, but that third line looks like it would be a ***** to play against.

It works if:

1. You take back no salary for Johnson and Oleksiak.
2. You willingly decide to have **** defensive depth, and a defense that is legitimately prohibitive of you winning in case of 1 injury.
3. Carolina retains an unreasonable amount of money on Staal
4. The cap rises to the most optimistic projections for next year.

That doesn't tell me it works. That tells me it's a long shot possibility that it may work.

We just got Petts for nothing. Not that hard to find capable cheap Dmen to play bottom pair mins.

With what cap space are you going to acquire those guys? You have to get lucky with the cap increase to just afford Staal at $4.5 million.

We should keep Johnson over Kessel. Wow. That's some galaxy brain stuff.

Reading comprehension doesn't seem to be your strong suite, then. It's like I'm talking to a brick wall on here sometimes.

The problem isn't wanting to keep Johnson over Kessel, and it's absolutely asinine to even remotely make such a suggestion. The problem is gutting your D depth to the point where it's a problem to bring in Staal, when the much more logical solution is to trade Kessel and get a cheaper RWer to play with Malkin. I don't want to trade Kessel to accommodate bringing in Staal, so I don't want Staal.

Last edited:

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Just dump Johnson and Olekitrash to make room for Staal.

Literally any ELC AHL D can do their job

When JR picks up his phone and says “Hey Siri trade Jack Johnson”
this appears on the screen

14608299_G.png

Reactions: ChaosAgent

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Bringing Jordan here would be a big big mistake.
I just don't see that working out.

I just have a really tough time imaging that you couldn't get someone cheaper than Staal, even with salary retained, if you're trading Brassard, Jarry and a high pick. You can get someone who is a lot easier to fit in for that price I think. If you're trading that much, why not talk to Calgary and see if you can get Mark Jankowski for that price?

Not only that, but I also think Staal and Kessel would be terrible fits for each other on a line, so bringing in Staal kinda kills the 3 line attack idea with Kessel, Malkin and Crosby each on their own lines. I'd be willing to go expensive for the 3C for some players (mainly guys who I think can make a dominant offensive 3rd line with Kessel), but I don't think Staal fits that.

Reactions: Peat

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
I’d love too besides that salary cap thing.
No way. Why?
What are people basing this get Staal back parade on? From his previous time here or what he does in Carolina?
Either way, I gotta go with a big fat NO.

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017
No way. Why?
What are people basing this get Staal back parade on? From his previous time here or what he does in Carolina?
Either way, I gotta go with a big fat NO.

He was pretty good last year and he’d be suited to the role but

1. We’d probably need 50% retention
  2. The Canes very likely wouldn’t do that for another 4 years
  3. If they did the trade value would be big
  4. He has a full NMC
  5. He too didn’t want to play a 3C role
  6. Are you fat shaming my love of Jordan Staal ;)

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

Pete Gas

Jul 10, 2012
Also, Staal wanted to leave because he didn’t want to a 3rd line center. He’s going to come back to the same situation again. Doubt he wants to come back

Last edited:

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Just speaking about the defense since it was brought up, if JR would actually manage to trade Johnson with no salary coming back, I wouldn't be leaving the defense alone. I'd be looking to sign the best Lovejoy-esque #5/6 defenseman I can get for $2 million dollars, plus I'd want to have 8 D on the roster. I would want something like:

Dumoulin-Letang
Pettersson-Schultz
Maatta-Lovejoy
Riikola-Ruhwedel

The problem is at this point, you're not really saving any significant amount of money. I'd look at this option if you needed a little bit of cap space, but you only gain like $1.25 million by making this swap. This isn't nearly enough for you to be able to afford someone like Staal.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
He was pretty good last year and he’d be suited to the role but

1. We’d probably need 50% retention
  2. The Canes very likely wouldn’t do that for another 4 years
  3. If they did the trade value would be big
  4. He has a full NMC
  5. He too didn’t want to play a 3C role
  6. Are you fat shaming my love of Jordan Staal ;)
I don't know how to fat shame someone. I didn't know you had feelings for Staal either.
Interesting. Interesting.

Reactions: Tom Hanks

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Also, Staal wanted to leave because he didn’t want to a 3rd line center. He’s going to come back to the same situation again. Doubt he wants to come back

I really don't think we should get Jordan Staal. But if we did, I'd run Staal-kin at least for a bit of time.

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017
Just speaking about the defense since it was brought up, if JR would actually manage to trade Johnson with no salary coming back, I wouldn't be leaving the defense alone. I'd be looking to sign the best Lovejoy-esque #5/6 defenseman I can get for $2 million dollars, plus I'd want to have 8 D on the roster. I would want something like:

Dumoulin-Letang
Pettersson-Schultz
Maatta-Lovejoy
Riikola-Ruhwedel

The problem is at this point, you're not really saving any significant amount of money. I'd look at this option if you needed a little bit of cap space, but you only gain like $1.25 million by making this swap. This isn't nearly enough for you to be able to afford someone like Staal.

This is according to Lebrun is interesting. We could make that work.

“There’s no guarantee the Kings will move Jake Muzzin but they’re certainly in listening mode. And the asking price I’m told right now for the talented top-four blueliner is a first-round pick plus a prospect.

It’s a high price but it should be. The 29-year-old is a top-notch defenseman and he’s signed for another season next year at a reasonable $4-million cap hit.
I think contending teams are hoping that the price lowers closer to Feb. 25. But keep in mind, the Kings don’t have the move the guy. They like him, too.”

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

Dumoulin-Letang
Pettersson-Schultz
Maatta-Lovejoy
Riikola-Ruhwedel

Not sure why we would do that.

Dumo - Letang
Pettersson - Schultz
Maatta - Riikola
Ruh

Would be a fine D. Especially if it allows you to bring in a solid top four D that is a UFA or has a year left ala Daley or Hainsey.

Which.. once again.. was always the issue with the Johnson contract.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
The defense is pretty simple as we've been saying almost the whole season. 2 of Olli, Rig, JJ gots to go. Spend it on a speedier/stronger Olli OR a RD that lets you play JS on the 2nd or 3rd pair.

Bottom line for me is i want Brass, Sheahan and 2 of Olli, Rig, JJ outta here.
Those 4 to 5 guys used to be Bonino, Cullen of 2016, Daley, Cole.
Let's get back to targeting players of that ilk, plz, but some younger versions.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
The defense is pretty simple as we've been saying almost the whole season. 2 of Olli, Rig, JJ gots to go. Spend it on a speedier/stronger Olli OR a RD that lets you play JS on the 2nd or 3rd pair.

Bottom line for me is i want Brass, Sheahan and 2 of Olli, Rig, JJ outta here.
Those 4 to 5 guys used to be Bonino, Cullen of 2016, Daley, Cole.
Let's get back to targeting players of that ilk, plz, but younger versions.

Honestly. D wise you aren’t too far off comparing JJ and Cole if they are used as number 5 and 6s and Pettersson has a lot of Daley’s game outside of the hands in him.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Honestly. D wise you aren’t too far off comparing JJ and Cole if they are used as number 5 and 6s and Pettersson has a lot of Daley’s game outside of the hands in him.

Yea, i like or wouldn't mind the #5-7 being MP/JJ and Riiko.
I wanna eventually move on from Olli but MP may steal his job soon anyway.
ATM Rig gots to gooo and i'm tired of watching the Sheahan's and Wilson's atm I'd take other Wilkes kids at minimum.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad