Salary Cap: Salary Cap & Roster Building: The Calm Before the Storm?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Getting rid of Scuderi.

Signing Cullen.

Getting Bonino.

Getting Hornqvist.

Getting two Cups.

Some of these things happened 5 years ago. Too many people gave Shero a free pass for far too long because he won a cup. This fan base has seen firsthand what happens if you keep a cup winning GM for too long.

Last edited:

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
To extend on this, trying to get him back not knowing eating some of his contract kept them from being able to do it.
That’s nothing in comparison to when we could only start 5 d men because JR didn’t know how a salary cap worked.

#Halloffamer

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
Some of these things happened 5 years ago. Too many people gave Shero a free pass for far too long because he won a cup. This fan base has seen firsthand what happens if you keep a cup winning GM for too long.

I kinda get what you're saying. But he won 2 cups here. He certainly deserves some admonishment AND leeway. He usually works to correct his mistakes.

I mean, he's in the Hall of Fame.

froods

I blame Paul Martin and Jack Johnson
Aug 28, 2009
Fort Erie, ON
I kinda get what you're saying. But he won 2 cups here. He certainly deserves some admonishment AND leeway. He usually works to correct his mistakes.

I mean, he's in the Hall of Fame.
I would also point out he has had 3 nice trades in the last calendar year. He had some bad ones as well, but like someone said, he is a gunslinger.

1. Sprong trade
2. Florida trade
3. Maatta trade

SherogoesHAM

Apr 6, 2012
Hagelin was a critical factor in getting Evgeni Malkin a full season and 98 points in 2018.

okay. Kunitz scored the goal that sent the Penguins to the SCF. Should JR have resigned him? Hagelin was terrible all of last year for three separate teams. Getting Gudbranson from him was a solid deal.

Reactions: Riptide

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
okay. Kunitz scored the goal that sent the Penguins to the SCF. Should JR have resigned him? Hagelin was terrible all of last year for three separate teams. Getting Gudbranson from him was a solid deal.

Hagelin was really good for Washington?

domaug

Play Virtua Fighter, let's go Pens
Sep 28, 2017
up de Eynon
Gudbranson's solid play as a Penguin is literally the only thing that's got me hesitating at the thought of dumping him for cap space. that was a pretty solid trade considering how lousy Pearson was.

$4M is still too expensive for him though.

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town
WAy out of left field for the current discussion, but I remember seeing that Honka was on the outs in Dallas

Assuming we managed to move Johnson and had 1. The money for our RFAs 2. The space on the blue line, what would the cost look like for him? He seems to me like the prototypical Pens d reclamation project (albeit, that initiative has had mixed success but when we’ve hit we’ve hit big)

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Rutherford on Madden today. He seemingly wants to really trade Kessel. He kept alluding to a “culture change” like Neal for Horn.

It’s one thing to believe that the culture is sour 5 years of disappointment after a Cup. You have to wonder if it’s just a deflection if you’re only 24 months removed from back to back Cups.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
There must be something severely wrong with Hartman but on a very cheap deal he could be a good 4th line wing.

Maybe give Bret Ritchie a camp invite.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
It’s one thing to believe that the culture is sour 5 years of disappointment after a Cup. You have to wonder if it’s just a deflection if you’re only 24 months removed from back to back Cups.

Exactly...it’s not “culture”..it might be lack of desire to play hard every night but that doesn’t account for the PO failure...it seems pretty obvious that what he’s calling culture is really players (rightfully) questioning the direction of the roster and the coaching to mold a contender..

Reactions: Jules Winnfield

Jules Winnfield

Fleurymanbad
Mar 19, 2010

The Pens lost Tocchet and a lot of veterans that held the locker room together. The room went to shit last year led by Kessel. They saw Kessel bringing Malkin down with frustration and to a lesser extent Letang. The Malkin and Letang rumors weren’t an accident. They were to send a message to get your shit together.

I’m a big Kessel fan but he ran his course last year with spoiling the locker room. It wasn’t all his fault either though. 50% of the locker room issues were on Sullivan and the lack of having a mediator coach between him and the players and the players tuning out the yelling and dictator style. 25% was on GMJR and bad deals and bad timing for deals. The Hagelin deal was the icing on the cake for nuking the locker room last year and what caused Malkin and Hornqvist to go off the deep edge. The other 25% was on Kessel for being the instigator in the room and not being as coachable as in previous years. Sully frequently yelling doesn’t get good responses from Kessel, Malkin or Letang.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
The Hagelin deal was the icing on the cake for nuking the locker room last year and what caused Malkin and Hornqvist to go off the deep edge. The other 25% was on Kessel for being the instigator in the room and not being as coachable as in previous years. Sully frequently yelling doesn’t get good responses from Kessel, Malkin or Letang.

Wrong. Hornqvist was fine right up until his injury on Jan 8th (I'm guessing on the exact date, but I bet that's pretty close). After that his production plummeted.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
WAy out of left field for the current discussion, but I remember seeing that Honka was on the outs in Dallas

Assuming we managed to move Johnson and had 1. The money for our RFAs 2. The space on the blue line, what would the cost look like for him? He seems to me like the prototypical Pens d reclamation project (albeit, that initiative has had mixed success but when we’ve hit we’ve hit big)
We have no room for Honka as long as Schultz and Gudbranson are here.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
The Pens lost Tocchet and a lot of veterans that held the locker room together. The room went to **** last year led by Kessel. They saw Kessel bringing Malkin down with frustration and to a lesser extent Letang. The Malkin and Letang rumors weren’t an accident. They were to send a message to get your **** together.

I’m a big Kessel fan but he ran his course last year with spoiling the locker room. It wasn’t all his fault either though. 50% of the locker room issues were on Sullivan and the lack of having a mediator coach between him and the players and the players tuning out the yelling and dictator style. 25% was on GMJR and bad deals and bad timing for deals. The Hagelin deal was the icing on the cake for nuking the locker room last year and what caused Malkin and Hornqvist to go off the deep edge. The other 25% was on Kessel for being the instigator in the room and not being as coachable as in previous years. Sully frequently yelling doesn’t get good responses from Kessel, Malkin or Letang.

How was Kessel an instigator and less coachable?

What brought Malkin down was playing without Hagelin and with a shit transition defense behind him because one of Letang or Schultz was injured pretty much all year.

Reactions: CertifiedLurker

Doogle

Jun 8, 2010
Neither Joe Morrow nor Derrick Pouliot were qualified. I don't know if either are that much worse than Jack Johnson, and both would be significantly less expensive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad