Salary Cap: Salary Cap & Roster Building: Stanley Cup Champions Summertime Blue's...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Corvidae

May 5, 2009
The biggest issue right now is we can ONLY have 1 of Guds, JJ, and Maatta. The one I would have loved to keep is gone. Guds is worth it because he's right. If we get rid of JJ and now we only have 1 of the 3, then we are in a good spot. I'd rather go super cheap on defense and pick up rentals at best like we did in 17.

Agreed. I would have strongly prefer Maatta out of that group but his contract mixed with actually being tradeable for something of value made him the most likely candidate to go first. Hopefully they're down to just Guds by September so if he drops off they only have 1 anchor to deal with.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
I’m finding it very difficult to slot the forwards right now, the elephant in the lineup being Kessel.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Cool cool on the goaltender enquiries, here's hoping Kessel blinks.

His quote about wanting to go up tempo gave me a shot of positive belief. But it won't last long. :laugh:

Bringing this one over from the Maatta tribute thread -

But what does Rutherford need to do to restore your faith? Or is it permanently shot?

TKalltheTime

KILLER PARTIES, ALMOST KILLED ME!
Jan 5, 2018
Los Angeles, CA
If we can move Hornqvist, I would have some interest in Simmonds. I prefer Anders Lee but he would obviously cost a lot more on the open market. But Simmonds would be interesting. His complete downward spiral in Nashville might keep his cap hit down enough to make sense.

Guentzel-Crosby-Kahun
McCann-Malkin-Simmonds
Simon-Bjugstad-Kessel

That's not terrible.
JESUS f***ING CHRIST... good lord

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
@audioslaved Kahun played a total of 5:25 on the PK last season. So while CHI isn't lying that he did play there... I'm not sure that's enough to really form much of an opinion as to whether he's actually all that good in that role.

ownal

Jan 26, 2019
Pittsburgh
Horny has a full no move clause. He isn't going anywhere this year. He will bounce back. Did anyone watch Worlds? Yikes @ Simmonds. The guy sucks and was benched on the Preds. Young & fast acquisitions!

Reactions: CascadiaPenguin

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Cool cool on the goaltender enquiries, here's hoping Kessel blinks.

Bringing this one over from the Maatta tribute thread -

But what does Rutherford need to do to restore your faith? Or is it permanently shot?

Very interesting question. It's nearing permanently shot. The history of JR has been like this. He can fix a team, as he has done in the past. He can equally break a team VERY quickly, as he's done in the past. We won the Cup with speed and like in what f***ing world would a Reaves/JJ pick up make any sense. He constantly tries to bring that in. It drives me nuts.

So yeah.. consistency with youth/speed would make me cautiously optimistic at best. Key word - cautious the entire time. But his infatuation with these bigger guys is laughable. I have more faith in him bringing in Lucic before getting back to square 1 with youth/speed.

So i will inevitably be cautious and right now i'm cautiously pessimistic.

Reactions: KIRK

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Very interesting question. It's nearing permanently shot. The history of JR has been like this. He can fix a team, as he has done in the past. He can equally break a team VERY quickly, as he's done in the past. We won the Cup with speed and like in what ****ing world would a Reaves/JJ pick up make any sense. He constantly tries to bring that in. It drives me nuts.

So yeah.. consistency with youth/speed would make me cautiously optimistic at best. Key word - cautious the entire time. But his infatuation with these bigger guys is laughable. I have more faith in him bringing in Lucic before getting back to square 1 with youth/speed.

So i will inevitably be cautious and right now i'm cautiously pessimistic.

Well the good news is this is now a team to be fixed :naughty: Just remember to promote him to glory the next time we win a cup!

For me, I need to see him follow through his words from this summer, and I need to see Johnson gone.

They better trade Jarry unless they're getting a 1st for DeSmith. It seems like a given that Jarry is being moved though, probably for a mid round pick at the draft.

I can't imagine DeSmith getting a 1st, but I can see him being valuable enough to get a biter on Johnson where Jarry mightn't...

ownal

Jan 26, 2019
Pittsburgh
If we fix the defensive, don't you think DeSmith will be even more valuable? He played really well with the worst D core in the nhl (okay exaggeration) and should play even better with a better D core.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Cluster of viable bottom 6 Fs.

Wonder what we do with them.

Blueger
ZAR
Rust
Kahun
Simon
A. Johnson
Bjugstad

Even guys like
Di Pauli
Lafferty
Haggerty
Angello

Are probably NHL ready.

I think Simon or ZAR are traded or just waived

ownal

Jan 26, 2019
Pittsburgh

Blueger
ZAR
Rust
Kahun
Simon
A. Johnson
Bjugstad

Even guys like
Di Pauli
Lafferty
Haggerty
Angello

Are probably NHL ready.

Would Jarry/Zar/JJ/Pick be enough to get Martinez out of LA?

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Well the good news is this is now a team to be fixed :naughty: Just remember to promote him to glory the next time we win a cup!

For me, I need to see him follow through his words from this summer, and I need to see Johnson gone.

I can't imagine DeSmith getting a 1st, but I can see him being valuable enough to get a biter on Johnson where Jarry mightn't...
I will be so so so happy to say he's a God if they get 1 more.

Reactions: Peat

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017

Blueger
ZAR
Rust
Kahun
Simon
A. Johnson
Bjugstad

Even guys like
Di Pauli
Lafferty
Haggerty
Angello

Are probably NHL ready.

Doubtful...let’s say you’re JR and you think the problem with the team in part was players with two Cups getting fat and sassy and you want to move JJ and clear some cap space for FA signings. What do you do when looking at your list? Well, as Jules said yesterday, you’re probably going to try to send out Rust with JJ because you can’t get JJ outta here without a sweetener...not signing the young guys you like in ZAR and Simon (regardless of what we think of them) isn’t going to do much for you....

But let’s say you could send Rust and JJ to Ottawa (they need to reach a cap floor) for OTT’s third round pick (top of the round)...would you do it? Yes, it’s a lesser return for a good player in Rust but there’s the JJ anchor lessening his value...now you’ve got a solid pick in the draft and you’ve opened over $7 mil more in space...would you do that?

Reactions: Doogle and Peat
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad