Salary Cap: Salary Cap + Roster Building | Preseason Edition (Cap Details + Links in First Post)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Guentzel, Letang, Crosby, Dumoulin, and Hornqvist are our only players above 50% in CF so far.

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
Dumoulin - Letang
Johnson - Riikola
Maatta - Oleksiak

Give it ten or so games to see what works and what doesn't before making any kind of rash move.

One thing is for sure though, Riikola can go get himself a house.

Reactions: Andy99

NMK11

Apr 6, 2013
what about swapping Maatta for a better fit at D? Would that be something we could potentially find?

I was going to suggest this in my last post but worried it would sound too crazy. If the team feels like it needs another puck mover, then it's time to trade Maatta because a guy making that much needs to be able to be relied on for transition if he's not solid in his own end.

For the record, I think if given more offensive responsibility maatta could really step up and build his confidence, I feel like I'm the only one remembering him starting rushes and jumping in his first two years here. Rikola gives you a second guy who can pass, and if Johnson comes around I think you could be set up well from that standpoint. It is a few "ifs" however.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
With it looking like Schultz is likely out until after the trade deadline, does that impact what you want to do in terms of trades, or do you still think a LWer is the biggest priority to acquire?

Unless Johnson or Riikola can QB that 2nd PP unit, you're going to need another PP quarterback, preferably a RHD. You're also going to add about $5.5 million in cap space to add that guy, too. You also have the option of doing something like Maatta for Saad and then using the remaining $3.5 million to add a replacement for Schultz, because cap space isn't a problem anymore.

With Schultz out, the Pens brass will probably give Maatta a lot of rope and then some to see if he can get his game back in order.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Fantasy time if Schultz is out long-term: With Shattenkirk seemingly on the outs in New York, I wonder if the Rangers might eat a few mil to get him off the books and if the Pens would be interested in a Maatta swap.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
I mean yeah, obviously we should trade Maatta for Schmidt. That said, they would laugh and hang up the phone.
I don't know that their respective values are all that different. I guess it depends how GMGM would view Maatta.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Fantasy time if Schultz is out long-term: With Shattenkirk seemingly on the outs in New York, I wonder if the Rangers might eat a few mil to get him off the books and if the Pens would be interested in a Maatta swap.

On one hand, his puck moving would be great for this team. On the other hand, I kind of shudder thinking about his defensive game being terribly exposed in games like we've seen where the forwards don't do a thing to help out the defense.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
if it's even close, GMGM is an idiot. That said, it's not out of the question that GMGM is an idiot :laugh:
I personally don't have a high opinion of Maatta currently. But again everybody values players differently. Also Schmidt is suspended for another month or so, he's also gonna be a UFA. Conversely OM is locked up long term. So it really comes down to how GMGM would value Maatta.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I was going to suggest this in my last post but worried it would sound too crazy. If the team feels like it needs another puck mover, then it's time to trade Maatta because a guy making that much needs to be able to be relied on for transition if he's not solid in his own end.

For the record, I think if given more offensive responsibility maatta could really step up and build his confidence, I feel like I'm the only one remembering him starting rushes and jumping in his first two years here. Rikola gives you a second guy who can pass, and if Johnson comes around I think you could be set up well from that standpoint. It is a few "ifs" however.

I feel like we drift around to trading Maatta for a better fit dman every nine months or so and everyone likes the idea. Just very difficult to find something we like and that feels realistic.

F'ex

Trade him for Schmidt and hope Ruh and Oleksiak can be serviceable until his suspensions over.

That's a hard no from Vegas I'm sure.

This one feels more possible even if I do have continuous fits of laughter when I remember Cullen burning him in 2017. They're not in a position to retain though.

Burn

Mar 24, 2018
The Blues have to be looking to trade. In not sure the Pens have what they need though.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
The Blues have to be looking to trade. In not sure the Pens have what they need though.

Not sure they've got what we need too unless they're going to go mad and make Parayko available.

Reactions: Burn

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
How Sullian has determined that Brassard's problem is that he's playing center, and not that he didn't have enough skill to work with on the 3rd line is beyond me.

How have you determined that this is Sullivan's issue with that line?

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Hm. I’ll wait and see what the team says before I believe it. I don’t even trust LITERAL twitter doctors lol.

I think it's probably a pretty safe bet that he's going to miss some significant time. Even if he didn't break it (which depending on what exactly he did end up doing, might have been better), it could still take weeks if not several months before he's back.

Ask again in two months after we've seen where Riikola/Oleksiak/Simon/ZAR etc.etc. are. But maybe yeah. Depends a lot on who comes loose too.

I think mainly Riikola, Maatta and Oleksiak. And once we know the exact nature and timeline of Schultz's injury and recovery. If those 3 do well, then even if JS is done for the season, it wouldn't surprise me if we went right to the TD before getting another body. Sadly, looking at the list of pending UFAs I do not see too many realistic options that would be good pick up's. Most of the player's we'd want, are going to be playing on PO teams as it is... or will be more of what we already have.

Grab someone with term and trade a dman next summer.

More expensive in general (vs a rental), and then add's the complication of having to make another move down the line. While not impossible, I doubt that JR would go there vs just adding a Lovejoy or McQuaid type of player.

Based on your description, why the hell are they trading that guy for Maatta? :laugh:

Because Maatta is younger, cheaper and under contract longer. Maatta turned 24 this summer. Tanev turns 29 in December.

That said without us adding, I'm not sure they'd do that deal. But depending on the add, I'd absolutely do that.

Last edited:

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon

Is that a deal you actually want to do though? I mean lets say if Shatty costs 4.65m (NYR eats 2m). Does that actually make us a better team?

Offensively, sure... but our issues over the past year+ are not usually offensive issues, but defensive ones...

They're not in a position to retain though.

Why not? They have used none of their 3 retention slots, and easily have the cap space to re-sign the few players who will need raises after this season. The following season will be tougher, but still far from impossible, as they'll be gaining cap space from the Girardi buyout and Beleskey's contract coming off the books.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Why not? They have used none of their 3 retention slots, and easily have the cap space to re-sign the few players who will need raises after this season. The following season will be tougher, but still far from impossible, as they'll be gaining cap space from the Girardi buyout and Beleskey's contract coming off the books.

Ignore me, I was being stupid.

Reactions: Riptide

Turin

Feb 27, 2018

Wow copy cat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad