Salary Cap: Salary Cap & Roster Building | Praise be to Nero's Neptune, the Titanic sails at dawn

Status
Not open for further replies.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
here is a link to an intersting article on the most trade valuable players in the league; Pens have 3, Letang, kessel and Sid. Sid is number 20, Geno is not even top 50,
The 2018 NHL Trade Value Rankings

Klingberg at 5 is way weirder than where our guys are at.

Edit
Krug at 21? I like Krug (we could really use him tbh), but no. The valuation for D is way off. Way, way off. Leddy is also far too high.

Need to go back to the drawing board, at least in how they rate defensemen.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Could you imagine having Kuznetsov over Sid. **** that. I wouldn't want any of those players over Sid. Actually, for what it's worth, I do not want any player over Sid. I'll take Sid's struggles and his 3 Cups over anything.

Agreed it's madness to even suggest that our stars are overpaid. Sid and Geno are underpaid in the NHL, from a caphit perspective, and have been for quite some time.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Sid's cap hit is huge for a 70 point player, just getting rid of that or Letang's could open the doors for improvement. Unless of curse you just think that Sid is having a down few months and will somehow rediscover the greatness he had when he was a 20 something. Lots of teams would take that salary for a chance at a cup and I imagine Sid would consider a move for another cup to a city of his choosing.

As I said, are you even a Pens fan, or a fan visiting from another board? Because your arguments for trading Sid sound more like what a visiting fan would come up with to justify why it makes sense to trade him, rather than a Pens fan who is actually interested in what's best for the Pens.

Reactions: NJPensFan5

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
I'm not suggesting to trade Sid or anything, but i do wonder if Sid and Geno would want to stay with the pens after their window is closed.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I hate reading trade rumor articles or where someone might end up.

Just read one about Pacioretty and the 3 teams that might be interested (Sharks, Pens, Flames)...and it mentions how the Pens might have called up Sprong to show case him and not necessarily give him the shot we think. I wouldn't even put it past this team at this point.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I'm not suggesting to trade Sid or anything, but i do wonder if Sid and Geno would want to stay with the pens after their window is closed.
Well when the Pens window is closed, their production will also drop and with their cap hit, will there be a lot of contenders ready and willing to take them on and give up assets worth losing them for at that point in time?

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range
Crosby for Webber

Some people are so short sighted. Crosby traded would be the biggest trade since Gretzky and would involve either Sid or the Pens being so frustrated and at odds with each other that Sid would have to ask or ownership would have to have grown incredibly sour. Sid just won back to back Smythes.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

Just read one about Pacioretty and the 3 teams that might be interested (Sharks, Pens, Flames)...and it mentions how the Pens might have called up Sprong to show case him and not necessarily give him the shot we think. I wouldn't even put it past this team at this point.

Pacioretty is basically what we hope Sprong will be with added defensive ability.

He is essentially Kessel 2.0. If we get him for a 1st, Sprong and Hagelin, I don’t understand how we don’t run away laughing.

Patches - Crosby - Hornqvist
Guentzel - Malkin - Kessel
Sheary - Sheahan - Rust

You let Cole walk and you can essentially afford that next year.

Sideline

May 23, 2004

Honestly it depends on the deal. Hagelin and Sprong for Patches would be okay with me. If Montreal want that + a good pick then no thanks.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
Well when the Pens window is closed, their production will also drop and with their cap hit, will there be a lot of contenders ready and willing to take them on and give up assets worth losing them for at that point in time?

That's a good point.

I could see Geno going to KHL rather then playing here through a rebuild.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Honestly it depends on the deal. Hagelin and Sprong for Patches would be okay with me. If Montreal want that + a good pick then no thanks.

Really? I'd add a lottery protected 1st to that.

Patches would be a really great add. He's having a down year at .5PPG and is usually in the 65 point range (50-55ES) and is signed for next year. Sprong + Hagelin (cap dump) + 1st is a great deal.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Pacioretty is basically what we hope Sprong will be with added defensive ability.

He is essentially Kessel 2.0. If we get him for a 1st, Sprong and Hagelin, I don’t understand how we don’t run away laughing.

Patches - Crosby - Hornqvist
Guentzel - Malkin - Kessel
Sheary - Sheahan - Rust

You let Cole walk and you can essentially afford that next year.

True enough, I just wanted to see if there was a way to keep Sprong, but I guess that's not going to happen. The right side is less of a problem compared to the left side.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012

Patches would be a really great add. He's having a down year at .5PPG and is usually in the 65 point range (50-55ES) and is signed for next year. Sprong + Hagelin (cap dump) + 1st is a great deal.

IF we add a first, protected of course, I want Byron added.

Pacioretty + Byron for Hagelin, Sprong, protected 1st.

Pacioretty, Crosby, Hornqvist
Guentzel, Malkin, Kessel
Sheary, Byron, Rust
Simon/Kuhnhackl, Sheahan, Rowney/Reaves

Sideline

May 23, 2004

I'd want the pick at least top 10 protected. This is looking like a good draft and the Penguins are looking like a worse bet every day.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I'd want the pick at least top 10 protected. This is looking like a good draft and the Penguins are looking like a worse bet every day.

I guess you can add whatever stipulation you want to a pick right? IF it's top 10 protected, I'd still do it. But I still want Byron added if that's the case, he has the speed that we are insanely missing in the middle and I really want to pair him with Shears and Rust.

Reactions: Sideline

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
The first is for taking Hagelin though.

What else would we have to give up? Would it have to be Simon?

I'd probably do that for Byron.

Hagelin, Sprong, 1st (top 10 protected), Simon for Byron + Patches.

I love Patches, was a fan from his Michigan days, so I'm 100% for that.

Daeni10

Kunitz was there
Dec 31, 2013
Cologne
Would you trade him if you thought he was going to decline in 2019-2020? He is projecting to 70 points this year which is still decent but it isn't what is expected. Currently you have 4 superstars over the age of 30 and Sid and Letang are well on their way to horrendous minus numbers.Hey I was asking you and the board would you trade him if the return was a top prospect and a top pick?

Maybe I am a bit to romantic but I want him and Geno to retire as Penguins even if there might be a offer you should probably take. This feeling of connecting to players and seeing them spend their whole career at the team you love has something I value a lot. At least if they had and have such an impact like the 2 of them

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
If the team is giving up a cheap 20-year-old scoring winger who could be the next Forsberg, but we don't know because we haven't played him enough, we should be getting back another young player with term on his contract.

In no way should we be giving up Sprong at this point in time for a 29-year-old player, no matter how good, who only has one year left on his contract and is expensive. No thanks. JR is a very dumb GM to give up Sprong and a first for Pacioretty. Should be fired IMO if that's the case

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
At this point, I'd like to see the Penguins start shedding expendable players and giving players in WBS a shot to see what they can do. Hunwick, Cole, Hagelin, Sheary, Kuhnhackl, Rowney, Hornqvist (if you're not re-signing him), Sheahan (if you're not re-signing him) and Reaves, just trade them all and call up players like DiPauli, Bengtsson, Aston-Reese and Johnson to play in the NHL. Try to either get futures or long term solutions with all of those trades, but I imagine most of those trades would result in draft picks and prospects.

As an RFA with a ~2.2m QO, I really struggle to see why we wouldn't re-sign him. We could get a very good 3C to replace him, and it would still make sense to qualify him to be an elite 4C.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad