Salary Cap: Salary Cap & Roster Building | Praise be to Nero's Neptune, the Titanic sails at dawn

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
You’re so out to lunch!

Patches chips in 30 goals a year without a center. Dude is insanely legit and comparing him to Erat and acting like Sprong could just easily project to be him is literally a moronic statement..

Like literally the past seven seasons outside of this one Patches has put up 30 goals or more or has only played like 40 games and put up 15-17 goals.

He is one of the best goal scorers in the game. If you can get that for a prospect who has 2 goals in the NHL three years ago and magic beans and a cap dump, how do you not do that?

You’re severely, severely overrating what a 1st round pick and Sprong could potentially become compared to what Patches actually is.

I know Pacioretty is 29 years old, makes $4.5 mil or so a year, and is signed for only one more year. He also is on pace for only 18 goals and 44 points. Again, no thanks....

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
You’re so out to lunch!

Patches chips in 30 goals a year without a center. Dude is insanely legit and comparing him to Erat and acting like Sprong could just easily project to be him is literally a moronic statement..

Like literally the past seven seasons outside of this one Patches has put up 30 goals or more or has only played like 40 games and put up 15-17 goals.

He is one of the best goal scorers in the game. If you can get that for a prospect who has 2 goals in the NHL three years ago and magic beans and a cap dump, how do you not do that?

You’re severely, severely overrating what a 1st round pick and Sprong could potentially become compared to what Patches actually is.

While I agree with you completely on how good Patches is... I don't think I'd move Sprong+ for him. Not because the value isn't there, but because I do not think we have the prospect pool to move Sprong for someone who will not be here 2 years from now - due to us being unable to afford his contract. Patches is someone who's going to get between 6.5-8m as a FA winger. And being another pure skilled winger with little to no grit to his game... he's not really someone I'd be all that excited about blowing our top offensive prospect on.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
While I agree with you completely on how good Patches is... I don't think I'd move Sprong+ for him. Not because the value isn't there, but because I do not think we have the prospect pool to move Sprong for someone who will not be here 2 years from now - due to us being unable to afford his contract. Patches is someone who's going to get between 6.5-8m as a FA winger. And being another pure skilled winger with little to no grit to his game... he's not really someone I'd be all that excited about blowing our top offensive prospect on.

You should watch Patches play. He is far from a pure skilled winger. And who knows what the situation is in two years. If you are going to say Letang is moveable, then acquiring a player like Patches is what you do and you let the chips fall.

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union
Crazy idea, but Murray for Barzal. The only way I am trading Murray is for talent like this. And the Isles have catastrophic goaltending. They surely love Barzal, but I feel like this is fair value. Not gonna happen obviously, but it´s something to think about. Might potentially help both sides.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Wow. Just wow.

Were you against the Kessel trade also?

No. He was 27 at the time and signed for five years. You cannot equate him with Pacioretty. He's a much better "pure" scorer and the Pens' situation was much different then too...

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
No. He was 27 at the time and signed for five years. You cannot equate him with Pacioretty. He's a much better "pure" scorer and the Pens' situation was much different then too...

You realize Pacioretty has out scored Kessel the last five years in terms of goals right?

By like 20 goals.

In thirteen less games.

You’re totally out to lunch dude.

Patches is on the market. You pay what you can to get him. Just like Kessel.

NeedleInTheHay

Mar 26, 2008
Yeah it's not like we just had an unreliable goalie kneecap our playoff chances for the last half-decade or so before Murray or anything.

Yeah I’m sure that had nothing to do with zero depth...Or did you think goc, adams, vitale, glass, etc were the answer?

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I remember when Crosby was done in 2015 too.

Seriously though, Crosby is retiring here unless he wants out. I don't care if he puts up 50 point seasons from here on out, we won't be trading him. He's the franchise.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Then Sheary, Gus, pick? for Duclair and Reider. Duclair-Byron-Reider, Simon-Sheahan-Rust. If Hornqvist wants to test the market a 1st+young guy (Dman) for Hornqvist (a Preds fan said he would do Fabbro and a 1st lol). Pacioretty-Crosby-Duclair, Jake-Malkin-Kessel, Reider-Byron-Rust, Simon-Sheahan-DiPauli. Would it work cap wise next season if cap hits 80M?

That's a bad trade for us. Gustavsson is a solid prospect, I hang on to him unless a very good prospect or player is offered and he's the guy they want. Hell today, his value could sky rocket even more.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Patches is on the market. You pay what you can to get him. Just like Kessel.

Again not comparable. You could comfortably give up quality assets for Kessel due to the fact that he was signed for 7 years. Patches is almost certainly gone in 2 years. We do not have the cupboard to be giving up the same sort of assets for him.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
How bad is this?

To PIT:
Anthony Duclair
Tobias Rieder
Erik Kallgren
'18 ARI 3rd

To ARI:
Conor Sheary
Carl Hagelin (25% Retained)
Filip Gustavsson
'18 PIT 2nd

Really bad? Pretty bad? Not that bad?

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Again not comparable. You could comfortably give up quality assets for Kessel due to the fact that he was signed for 7 years. Patches is almost certainly gone in 2 years. We do not have the cupboard to be giving up the same sort of assets for him.

Hm. Seems to me the argument for Kessel was who cares about the term, not we have him for seven more years.

I digress though, I understand your point. A dynasty is worth it though.

pensfan71

Jun 9, 2010
How bad is this?

To PIT:
Anthony Duclair
Tobias Rieder
Erik Kallgren
'18 ARI 3rd

To ARI:
Conor Sheary
Filip Gustavsson
'18 PIT 2nd

I'd do it. Would Arizona? Who knows. We need a shakeup, this would do it and wake up the locker room. Duclair and Rieder give us the same kind of speed that Sheary and Hags did but arguably more skill when its all said and done, plus that potential. Our 2nd and their 3rd is basically identical

CommissionerGordon

Mar 10, 2017
The only way to get Jurassic Park back on line is to erase everything Nedry did aka JR this offseason

1) Dumoulin extension. Like the guy at 800k. Kills the team at $4.1m
2) Sheary extension. See above.
3) Ryan Reaves. LOL. What's up Craig Adams?
4) Sheahan. Maybe 4th line LW. Maybe?

The Schultz extension and Murray extension were obvious moves. Letting go albeit not all-stars but intrical pieces in Daley, Cullen, Bones with money going to raises for Dumo hahaha and Sheary haha have been crippling moves for the season. And I'll keep saying it until you get it. Kunitz and Fleury have been dead weight for the past arguably two-five seasons.

Peel back the next layer. Going forward.

5) I love the grit of Hornqvist but if he needs Crosby to produce outside of powerplay dinks I'm not paying you $5m-$6.5m a year. Crosby helped Sheary get $3m a year. He makes whoever he plays with better.

6) Crosby can make Sprong better. Imagine the Crosby effect with Sprong. Now we're talking 30-40 goals a year for Sprong. HELLO. Turn your ******* brain on

7) Hagelin sucks. He sucks. But if you have a speed team he's great and he has a role. I vote more speed and skill.

SOLUTION: You start with Evander Kane for Sheary + 1st. Max offer - 6 years, $45m.

Then you move your worst defenseman per dollar in Brian Dumoulin. I'll use Murray and Hornqvist if I need to to get OEL. That's a slight overpay. Maybe I can get Duclair back as well. And then lock up OEL long term. 8 years, $60m

These moves reduce cap and you get better players. That's called wheeling and dealing.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Pacioretty is basically what we hope Sprong will be with added defensive ability.

He is essentially Kessel 2.0. If we get him for a 1st, Sprong and Hagelin, I don’t understand how we don’t run away laughing.

Patches - Crosby - Hornqvist
Guentzel - Malkin - Kessel
Sheary - Sheahan - Rust

You let Cole walk and you can essentially afford that next year.

Phil had more playoff points in less games in either 2 runs than Patches has in his career.

Phil is life. Patches is a patch (a pretty good patch though ;))

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
How bad is this?

To PIT:
Anthony Duclair
Tobias Rieder
Erik Kallgren
'18 ARI 3rd

To ARI:
Conor Sheary
Filip Gustavsson
'18 PIT 2nd

I could make a good case for it being a good move and a good case for it being bad, so it seems fair TBTH, depending on cap in and out.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I'd do it. Would Arizona? Who knows. We need a shakeup, this would do it and wake up the locker room. Duclair and Rieder give us the same kind of speed that Sheary and Hags did but arguably more skill when its all said and done, plus that potential. Our 2nd and their 3rd is basically identical
I'm a Yotes fan. I don't like the deal. It seems as though Rieder and the Yotes have reached a point of no return and a trade is inevitable. I think Rick Tocchet would be happy to get a couple of hard workers back. His chief complaint about the Coyotes is that they don't know how to work hard enough on the ice and while preparing for games. That's why the Coyotes traded for Archibald. That's why they claimed Freddie Hamilton.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad