Salary Cap: Salary Cap + Roster building: " PPG with a clock in its wall|Tic Toc....! We there yet?"

Status
Not open for further replies.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
He's listed as a LW on NHL.com :naughty:

http://www.nhl.com/stats/player?rep...filter=gamesPlayed,gte,1&sort=evPoints,points

http://www.nhl.com/stats/player?rep...filter=gamesPlayed,gte,1&sort=evPoints,points

But I would agree with the implication that Neal at his peak was absolutely great on Malkin's wing. I'd trade 2018 Phil 10 times out of 10 for 2011 Neal.

Neal, like Phil, was great on Geno's RW when Geno was in god mode OR with the right LW and a defenseman who could move the puck semi-regularly behind.

BUT, yes, I'd take engaged Phil over peak Neal as a general proposition.

Last edited:

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Phil is a problem, and a big one. Make no mistake about that. He may not be on the same level of JJ, Maatta or JR, but Phil is a problem. A point per game player doesn't get moved without something going awry. Phil's miserable at ES, like atrocious, and he makes his line (Geno in particular) much worse because of that. He scored 46pts at ES this season, all the while looking utterly disinterested and/or clueless without the puck on his stick. Without very strong production from the PP, I don't think anyone's really worried about moving on from Phil at all. He's very likely gone, and with good reason. I just hope JR doesn't take back a ton of cap in the trade, and can possibly nab a mid-1st rounder+prospect in return.

Unless an org misidentifies the problems. Was Panarin the problem in Chicago? Judging from JR's wholehearted defense of JJ at every opportunity and Sullivan's repeated and unjustified promotions of ZAR, the team's player evaluations are more than a little suspect.

For the record, Kessel has always looked disinterested and/or clueless without the puck on his stick.

This is not a new phenomenon, it's one he had before he came here and one he had while he was essential to our Cup wins. What's changed is the defense he was playing in front of and the LW used opposite him, which didn't insulate his deficiencies so his skill could shine.

I'm not trying to argue that the blueline is anything but unforgivably bad, I'm just trying to shed light on the issue at Geno's wing. When Phil leaves, with all his warts and baggage, he's still taking a big chunk of production with him. Don't get me wrong, we should absolutely be moving on from Phil Kessel, but Geno isn't some spring chicken anymore and he's going to need a serious upgrade on his wing from the caliber of players we have to give him right now. It cannot be understated and can't be glossed over just how much help Geno's going to need. If we had McCann and Rust running with Sid as opposed to Jake, he's not approaching 100pts. Putting McCann, Rust, Hornqvist or Bjugstad with Geno is simply not enough, not even close.

I refuse to paint Kessel as a problem with so many other more significant problems contributing to the 2nd line's struggles. Like I said, name me a star forward who'd thrive with JJ playing behind him all year and I'll show you a liar. Kessel couldn't do it, but neither could Geno. I doubt Sid could.

Remove those variables and I'd hardly be shocked to see a miraculous turnaround for Kessel. How soon people forget how fantastic Kessel looked here for the first 1/3 of the season when Hags was playing opposite him. What a coincidence!

If the org is dumb enough to have definitively decided Kessel is a problem with the info we have, then yes, the Pens would need to add a star winger to help Geno. Unfortunately, that winger won't be faring any better than Kessel (and likely far worse) if Johnson's there, and then we're back to Square One if we're lucky.

I think our best bet for Petts is to play him on the bottom pairing with a guy like Riikola, who I also think has a good amount of room to grow into a solid, cheap bottom pairing guy in his own right.

Considering what it would cost for a stud #2 LHD, I'd much rather see what we have in-house beforehand. Particularly if that #2 would require us trading an elite forward, which some seem to be entertaining.

Dumo - Letang
Steady LHD - Schultz

Should be a good enough top 4 for a contender.

This team may not be a dozen moves away, but the half-dozen it needs to make are significant changes that require an approach wholly unlike the one JR has taken to building this roster for the past two years.

Any improvement would definitely require JR changing tack on a couple key issues. We can agree on that.

Last edited:

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Big Friggin Dummy said:
but my rational side says that kind of stuff isn't worth paying $5.3 million a year for when the guy is scoring 4 goals (2 ES, 2 PP) over the final 45 games of the season

But it's worth paying 9.5m for that when Malkin scores 3 ES goals over 41 games (Nov to mid Jan iirc)? I get that Hornqvist isn't Malkin, but it just seems odd that that's our measuring stick, but only for some players.

Reactions: Peat

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Unless an org misidentifies the problems. Was Panarin the problem in Chicago? Judging from JR's wholehearted defense of JJ at every opportunity and Sullivan's repeated and unjustified promotions of ZAR, the team's player evaluations are more than a little suspect.

For the record, Kessel has always looked disinterested and/or clueless without the puck on his stick.

This is not a new phenomenon, it's one he had before he came here and one he had while he was essential to our Cup wins. What's changed is the defense he was playing in front of and the LW used opposite him, which didn't insulate his deficiencies so his skill could shine.

I refuse to paint Kessel as a problem with so many other more significant problems contributing to the 2nd line's struggles. Like I said, name me a star forward who'd thrive with JJ playing behind him all year and I'll show you a liar. Kessel couldn't do it, but neither could Geno. I doubt Sid could.

Remove those variables and I'd hardly be shocked to see a miraculous turnaround for Kessel.

If the org is dumb enough to have definitively decided Kessel as a problem with the info we have, then yes, the Pens would need to add a star winger to help Geno. Unfortunately, that winger won't be faring any better than Kessel (and likely far worse) if Johnson's there, and then we're back to Square One if we're lucky.

Considering what it would cost for a stud #2 LHD, I'd much rather see what we have in-house beforehand. Particularly if that #2 would require us trading an elite forward, which some seem to be entertaining.

Dumo - Letang
Steady LHD - Schultz

Should be a good enough top 4 for a contender.

Any improvement would definitely require JR changing tack on a couple key issues. We can agree on that.

While your prescription certainly is sensible, that bolded part is why there will continue to be a major disconnect between what the Pens should be and are doing.

And make no mistake, if Geno comes back and starts babysitting Jack Johnson almost every shift because he kills any chance of a clean breakout, eventually he'll realize he's being hung out to dry still, and he'll start cheating to try to make up for it OR become 'insubordinate' towards the idiots managing and coaching the team OR Both.

And it will blow up just like this year, unless we're unlucky and it's an even bigger ****show.

But it's worth paying 9.5m for that when Malkin scores 3 ES goals over 41 games (Nov to mid Jan iirc)? I get that Hornqvist isn't Malkin, but it just seems odd that that's our measuring stick, but only for some players.

That's an interesting timeline. Schultz out. Geno playing almost all of his shifts with one or both of Johnson, Maatta, Oleksiak. Phil out for a skate. The middle finger du jour from the coach on his LW. Almost as if you're complaining that Geno turned into a wreck because he couldn't play a one man game.

But, I'm sure you're tone is right. Eroding skills and insubordination were the problem. Not also a GM who's turned into a pumpkin and a coach who hung him out to twist in the wind.

Too bad he needs to ask out for us to see who's right.

Last edited:

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Pascal Dupuis is the only other Penguins' right winger in the Crosby/Malkin era to score 46 ES points or finish in the 10 ten in ES scoring at his position. He did it twice in 2011/12 and 2012/13.

Phil has done it each of his 4 years here. Good luck replacing it.

Pascal Dupuis was also way better defensively so... are you saying Dupuis was the best Penguin winger of the last 10 years?

DeadPuckEra

Dec 19, 2014
Don’t let anyone cite San Jose and Boston to you - while you explain that the window for the Penguins core is nearly closed. San Jose and Boston had an embarrassment of riches in terms of draft picks, prospects and youth to come in and take the reigns from their Pavelski’s and Bergerons. The Penguins have had Jake Guentzel.

People like to cite Yzerman’s redwings of the past and their cores success into their 30’s. Which is relevant if you look past the fact that Detroit’s drafting habits where on a whole different level than every other team in the league. They were the exception, not the rule.

Anyway.

The Penguins more closely resemble the likes of Chicago and LA where there is so much work that needs done to the roster, so many holes to climb out of - that it will take years to get back to being a serious contender.

The penguins have a choice to make - do they hold on to Malkin, Letang and Kessel during those years? Or do they significantly speed up the small rebuild / retool / long term plan for life with aging Sid by trading said players now.

I promise you, 4 years into the future... that you will have looked back at the mediocrity that took place and wished the team would have took the bold, yet smart stance by parting with some of their tops dogs to get younger and faster.

Again, don’t let people crawl out of the woodwork and claim you’re “goofy” “silly” and start citing San Jose and Boston - the Penguins couldn’t be farther away from the circumstances that helped those teams back to relevance.

The forward group is a mess of inconsistency.

The goaltender is always hurt

There are some better D groups in the AHL (exaggeration but you get my point).

It is time to think about the future and not what 35 goal scorer we can acquire to magically have us playing in the ECF every year. It’s over. It ends for all teams sooner or later, and now it’s our turn. 3 cups, it was a great run. But it’s time to start setting this team up for a different era or they will find themselves relying on student rush tickets to sell tickets again...

Last edited:

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Yea Myers isn’t very good. Better than Johnson and more offense than Guds but no thanks.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
I don't think we would be moving Phil if he could (or got a fair chance for 20+ games) play with Sid under Sully. Not that I didn't think it would be a question at this point this far into the Kessel experiment, but if he and Hornqvist can't play in the top 6, one has to go.

I think it's pretty obvious why that hasn't happened... Or at least it should be...

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I mean, 46 even strength points is 13th in the league among right wingers. It's a little low from what we'd want from Phil, but that's not atrocious (Vlad Tarasenko had the same). He was 5th a year ago with 50. He finished 7th and 10th his first two years in Pittsburgh. He's not atrocious at even strength. A big part of Phil/Malkin's problems this season were the anchors they played with on the blueline. Pairing an offensive-minded (defensively weak) winger with possession troubled defensemen is a bad recipe for success.

I'm not saying moving Phil wouldn't help this roster, depending on the return. I'm also not saying he is without his flaws. But I don't think he's as bad as some are making him out to be for a cap hit of $6.8 million. I'm certainly not convinced Pittsburgh is going to magically find a replacement winger for him that can remotely match his offensive production this upcoming season if he is moved.
As many, myself included, have said all along; it's not about production with Phil. That was my point. He is atrocious at ES, despite being a productive player. He actively and dramatically makes Geno worse when that line doesn't have the puck in the offensive zone. I would much, much rather have a 60-65pt player who is better at ES than Kessel's 80pts with all the warts that come along with it. I think Geno would be much better for it as well. I agree that a big issue with our 2nd line is that our blueline, outside of the Letang pairing, is hot doodoo, but that doesn't change the fact that Phil was terrible this season. How many times, for months, did we all pine for that 2nd line to wake up and begin to match the effectiveness and production of that 1st line? Again, I understand and appreciate the factor of the Letang pairing, but Geno and Phil themselves were bad.

We're going to have to find a replacement sooner rather than later, and there are some really nice alternatives available this summer, both in terms of FA and in terms of the trade market. Phil's production needs to be replaced, but we don't have to find an 80pt guy, and he doesn't have to be a RW. Phil is a legitimate problem, and a pretty big one, despite the stat lines.

Phil needing a handler like Tocchet is one thing but this isn’t an isolated issue. There are legit problems with Sully and certain emotional players on the team needing mending with a coach that provides that bridge that Tocchet did.

The problem is Sully yelling has worn itself out. There is no translator between Sully’s yelling and the frustration of the players when **** isn’t going well.
It's different with Kessel though, and I know you know that. Cole's situation was a guy barking back at his coach for scratching him during a stretch of terrible play. He was moved because of that incident on top of the fact that he was an expiring contract (that was not re-signing with Sully around), and he was used in that series of moves that got us Brassard, who was supposed to be the best player available at the deadline and the solution to the year-long search to fill Bonino's void. Sprong was a guy that had no spot in the lineup (Horny, Phil, Rust being RWers). Sully probably wasn't his biggest fan, but I don't think he would've continued to scratch him if we had a spot for the kid.

I don't know, man. I've only been here a couple of months but I've seen people rightfully rake Phil over coals for his abysmal play at ES pretty much since the moment I arrived. For people to argue so strongly in favor of keeping him is crazy to me.

Doesn't matter though, the dude's gone, and we should be a better team for it.

Reactions: Jules Winnfield

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
While your prescription certainly is sensible, that bolded part is why there will continue to be a major disconnect between what the Pens should and are doing.

And make no mistake, if Geno comes back and starts babysitting Jack Johnson almost every shift because he kills any chance of a clean breakout, eventually he'll realize he's being hung out to dry still, and he'll start cheating to try to make up for it OR become 'insubordinate' towards the idiots managing and coaching the team OR Both.

And it will blow up just like this year, unless we're unlucky and it's an even bigger ****show.

That's an interesting timeline. Schultz out. Geno playing almost all of his shifts with one or both of Johnson, Maatta, Oleksiak. Phil out for a skate. The middle finger du jour from the coach on his LW. Almost as if you're complaining that Geno turned into a wreck because he couldn't play a one man game.

But, I'm sure you're tone is right. Eroding skills and insubordination were the problem. Not also a GM who's turned into a pumpkin and a coach who hung him out to twist in the wind.

Too bad he needs to ask out for us to see who's right.

The sad part is that he asked out likely because none of his gripes were deemed legitimate when they are... but whatever...I hope he wants to be here and be part of the solution instead of abandoning the Titanic, but I understand...still, I don’t think they’ll be trading him, whether he wants that or not, because I don’t think the return for the Pens will be there....I think FLA probably had an interest in past years, but they don’t need G...they’re in the top 10 in scoring...that’s not their problem and will be even less their problem if they pick up Panarin...they need D and goaltending ...the Pens won’t trade him to the NY area teams, all of which are in the division...LA is terrible and can offer us nothing in return...I really don’t think the Pens will have a lot of options with good returns, so he won’t go..hopefully he can force a change inside with Sid’s help because that would be the best option to effectuate change

CallArnoldSlick

Party Fowl
May 21, 2010
Pascal Dupuis was also way better defensively so... are you saying Dupuis was the best Penguin winger of the last 10 years?

I'm saying 46 ES points isn't an atrocious number, and I don't have great confidence JR is going to find someone to replace Kessel's production — both at even strength and the power play.

Dupuis being among the most successful wingers of the era really says it all about the team's ability to fill the position.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Don’t let anyone cite San Jose and Boston to you - while you explain that the window for the Penguins core is nearly closed. San Jose and Boston had an embarrassment of riches in terms of draft picks, prospects and youth to come in and take the reigns from their Pavelski’s and Bergerons. The Penguins have had Jake Guentzel.

People like to cite Yzerman’s redwings of the past and their cores success into their 30’s. Which is relevant if you look past the fact that Detroit’s drafting habits where on a whole different level than every other team in the league. They were the exception, not the rule.

Anyway.

The Penguins more closely resemble the likes of Chicago and LA where there is so much work that needs done to the roster, so many holes to climb out of - that it will take years to get back to being a serious contender.

The penguins have a choice to make - do they hold on to Malkin, Letang and Kessel during those years? Or do they significantly speed up the small rebuild / retool / long term plan for life with aging Sid by trading said players now.

I promise you, 4 years into the future... that you will have looked back at the mediocrity that took place and wished the team would have took the bold, yet smart stance by parting with some of their tops dogs to get younger and faster.

Again, don’t let people crawl out of the woodwork and claim you’re “goofy” “silly” and start citing San Jose and Boston - the Penguins couldn’t be farther away from the circumstances that helped those teams back to relevance.

The forward group is a mess of inconsistency.

The goaltender is always hurt

There are some better D groups in the AHL (exaggeration but you get my point).

It is time to think about the future and not what 35 goal scorer we can acquire to magically have us playing in the ECF every year. It’s over. It ends for all teams sooner or later, and now it’s our turn. 3 cups, it was a great run. But it’s time to start setting this team up for a different era or they will find themselves relying on student rush tickets to sell tickets again...

Stardate Dec 18, 2015:

DeadPuckEra said:
Here is Mike Sullivan's reality:

Crosby has fallen off a cliff. At this point, it seems like it will be the new norm rather than him returning to prior form. He doesn't compete. He's either playing scared, he straight up doesn't care anymore, or his brain is mush.

Phil Kessel isn't compatible with players of equal or greater talent. He's irrelevant unless he's got the puck on his stick through the neutral zone, through the offensive zone, to the net. Any circumstance where Phil is not being a one man show, he is irrelevant. To his credit, he tries not to be a one man show.

Our defense is made up of mostly third pairing caliber players. Kris Letang, like Crosby (but not to the extent) has fallen of a cliff and is a walking band-aid. Matta's warts have been exposed with his skating. He struggles against fast teams, which "getting faster" is just about wherever team in the league is trying to trend towards.

The third and fourth lines are made up of under achievers and vanilla players. There is no emotion, no real grit, no shut down third line center, no 20 goal guys, no pests, no big bodies.

Patrick Hornqvist sucks at mostly everything that doesn't involve being inside a 5 foot radius of the net.

Sprong his grossly overrated by the fan base based on his speed and some nifty stick handling. Sullivan probably has to read and hear about how great Spring is daily, by a bunch of people who don't know enough to know Sprong has a lot to learn and Sullivan, like Johnston is trying to win games - not babysit.

Here's the absolute killer for Mike:

He's employed by an ownership group that all things considered, is probably one of the worst in the league when it comes to decision making. They stood by and watched a GM trade away anything and everything involving draft picks and prospects to win a Stanley Cup - UNDER A COACH WHO WAS INCAPABLE OF GETTING THE TEAM THERE AGAIN. They let this go on for years.

When they address the situation - they make matters worse by hiring a guy who has created more bad hockey teams than he has good. Who then hired a junior coach, because other coaches would not take the job due to ownership insisting they inherit Rick Tocchet as their assistant.

This is going to get a lot worse before it gets better. I do feel the need to say that if it wasn't for Mario Lemeiux, I personally wouldn't have ever started watching hockey, the Penguins would certainly be relocated as well. I'm grateful for his initial ownership and his willingness to stabilize the franchise but it's time to go. He is just as responsible as anyone else in the organization for the culture and wreckless hiring that led to this point.

He and Crosby can take a one way flight to Montreal. They can take Letang, Rutherford and friends (assistant GM's), Morehouse, and that stupid ****ing oversized goalie helmet at console with them.

Mike II. - "Sullivan"

DeadPuckEra

Dec 19, 2014
Stardate Dec 18, 2015:

Mike II. - "Sullivan"

What’s your point? Most of that was correct at the time - and some of the “regulars” here can be found saying basically the same in that thread. It was four years ago... when these players where much younger. And outside of some hot takes on Crosby... was I even that far off regarding the other players lol

You’re the exact type of weirdo I avoid on here. The type of person who takes a forum post so seriously that they take time out their day to scour through someone else’s posting history dated back over 4 years. So I will be blocking you. Apologies in advance.

I could go through your post history (from 4 years ago, Jesus) and probably find a gluttony of things but I don’t have any interest in trying to “one up” you... god knows what other lengths you would go to - to get even - given your sensitivity levels.

Your actions are alarming. I hope things get better for you.

Last edited:

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Myers would look better playing away from guys like Kulikov and Chiarot.. but if he’s not good enough to carry those guys then good luck with JJ. I don’t hate Myers at all but he doesn’t fit unless he replaces Gudbranson and he’s just another big ticket on the bottom pair then.

I guess there are situations (unlikely ones) where I’d like a Myers signing. They all involving moving JJ/Guds/Maatta or even Schultz and signing a guy like Gardiner to go with him though.

Reactions: Andy99

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Unless he's signing for multiple years and the plan is to then move Schultz (I don't think JR is all that interested in moving Gudbranson after how well he played for us), I don't see the point.

Would you rather have Myers than Schultz? Even if so, that’s our last problem...he first should be finding players to replace JJ and Maatta, which will be hard enough...yeeesh

CallArnoldSlick

Party Fowl
May 21, 2010
Oh cool. Let's move on from bad players to sign a more expensive bad player. Myers is soft as **** and a #5/6. I'd rather keep Maatta.

Don't shoot the messenger ;)

As many, myself included, have said all along; it's not about production with Phil. That was my point. He is atrocious at ES, despite being a productive player. He actively and dramatically makes Geno worse when that line doesn't have the puck in the offensive zone. I would much, much rather have a 60-65pt player who is better at ES than Kessel's 80pts with all the warts that come along with it. I think Geno would be much better for it as well. I agree that a big issue with our 2nd line is that our blueline, outside of the Letang pairing, is hot doodoo, but that doesn't change the fact that Phil was terrible this season. How many times, for months, did we all pine for that 2nd line to wake up and begin to match the effectiveness and production of that 1st line? Again, I understand and appreciate the factor of the Letang pairing, but Geno and Phil themselves were bad.

We're going to have to find a replacement sooner rather than later, and there are some really nice alternatives available this summer, both in terms of FA and in terms of the trade market. Phil's production needs to be replaced, but we don't have to find an 80pt guy, and he doesn't have to be a RW. Phil is a legitimate problem, and a pretty big one, despite the stat lines.

Agree to disagree on the atrocious nature of Phil's game, or his value compare to 60-point wingers.

What alternatives do you see as available that would be an upgrade on Kessel? (I'm not asking in a sarcastic or combative manner, I'm genuinely curious on what you think.) Skinner would be great of course. Who else do you think? Do the Pens have the pieces to make a trade for a real impactful winger?

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Panarin was a knee-jerk, idiotic move that came out of nowhere. Phil's been on the ropes since the Caps series last spring, and probably could've/should've been moved last summer.

I agree that Phil's always been a one-dimensional guy, but there are way too many factors going against keeping Phil. He's a temperamental headcase that allows his emotions to dictate his play way too often. He can't/won't play away from Geno, and those two bring the worst out of one another when together. He's an aging winger that relies entirely on his skating to facilitate his passing and shot and once his skating starts to slip, you have a $7 million PP specialist and ES dumpster fire.

This team needs to get younger and better at ES, both at forward and on the blueline. Just because we've got a multitude of problems, several of which are more pressing issues, doesn't change the fact that Phil, and by extension Geno's wing, is an issue that very much needs to be addressed. If your entire house is on fire, you don't ignore the living room because the fire started in the kitchen.

If the org is dumb enough to have definitively decided Kessel is a problem with the info we have, then yes, the Pens would need to add a star winger to help Geno. Unfortunately, that winger won't be faring any better than Kessel (and likely far worse) if Johnson's there, and then we're back to Square One if we're lucky.
I don't think highly of this organization whatsoever, but Phil's a problem. Plain and simple. I suppose we're just never going to agree if we can't get past that very basic start. JJ, Maatta, Gudbranson--all of them suck. You'll get no argument out of me there. They also have an extremely detrimental effect on this team's ability to transition or generate offense, again, no argument. But those guys don't make Phil lazily coast around, flubbing passes, refusing shots, and being woeful in the neutral and defensive zones, forcing Geno and the other winger to do more work.

Phil's movable, and will bring back a significant return. It won't be a 1-for-1 in terms of adding his replacement, but that domino has to fall in order for this team to right the ship. I'd love to simply buy JJ out, move Maatta and Gudbranson, and revamp that blueline's 2nd and 3rd pairings. That doesn't change the multitude of problems when it comes to Phil Kessel.

Reactions: Jules Winnfield

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
What’s your point? Most of that was correct at the time - and some of the “regulars” here can be found saying basically the same in that thread. It was four years ago... when these players where much younger. And outside of some hot takes on Crosby... was I even that far off regarding the other players lol

You’re the exact type of weirdo I avoid on here. The type of person who takes a forum post so seriously that they take time out their day to scour through someone else’s posting history dated back over 4 years. So I will be blocking you. Apologies in advance.

I could go through your post history (from 4 years ago, Jesus) and probably find a gluttony of things but I don’t have any interest in trying to “one up” you... god knows what other lengths you would go to - given your sensitivity levels.

Your actions are alarming. I hope things get better for you.

It took 2 seconds. Figured you were the type to fold tents up early, so I checked 2015...lo and behold.

Some people learn from their mistakes. Some get offended and angry at the person who pointed them out.

giphy.gif

Reactions: Riptide
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad