Salary Cap: Salary Cap & Roster Building | Now What?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Speaking of one-timers, for the amount of skill the Pens boast up front, we've got to have the fewest skill guys in the league who can actually one-time a puck. Geno's the only one that is a consistent threat at it.

Sprong has a pretty mean one-timer

Rakell67

Sep 28, 2017
PA
Maybe A) because they want more time to see how they work out, and B) having Kessel on his own line seems to have given him an extra boost. He's taken his game to another level since being moved from Malkin's line. So while I'm not a big fan of Guentzel being the LW to those two, having Kessel on the 3rd line doesn't bother me in the least. Besides, there's always a chance that those two can work things out to make it a workable and productive line as Sheahan improves and if he finds his game.
What about Guentzel centering the third line with Kessel...

Sheary Crosby Hornqvist
Rust Malkin Sprong
Hagelin Guentzel Kessel
Kuhnhackl Sheahan Reaves

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005

So probably something like 2 1sts, 2 2nds and a prospect for Duchene? Yikes, that's a lot.

What you don't know is if that's what Colorado wanted and they didn't get there (i.e., Sakic blew it up) OR if they legit were offered that and something else blew it up.

You'll never know, but from what I've understood about the last nine or so months, this would hardly be the first . . . or second or third time . . . a GM has said 'yes' to what Sakic says he wants only to have Sakic blow it up.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
What about Guentzel centering the third line with Kessel...

Sheary Crosby Hornqvist
Rust Malkin Sprong
Hagelin Guentzel Kessel
Kuhnhackl Sheahan Reaves

Right now, those top three lines would be my preference given what we have to work with....

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Completely baseless guess, I feel like something like this was the 2nd idea Dreger had:

Ottawa gets Duchene
Nashville gets Turris
Colorado gets Samuel Girard, Logan Brown, Nashville 1st and Nashville 3rd

The 2nd seems reasonable to be honest. It turns into Turris and Brown for Duchene and Girard, a 1st and 3rd for Turris. I don't know for the 1st idea.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
If it was only Nashville giving up four picks/prospects and Ottawa only had to give up Turris, who they likely won't resign anyway, then no wonder Poile backed out. He's giving up the most....

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I wouldn’t have let things get this bad. I would have addressed our lousy depth in the off season. I said all summer I didn’t want to go into the season with so many holes in our bottom six. I was repeatedly told how unimportant the beginning part of the season was and that gramps had until the deadline to fix the issues.

But at this point, it’s probably time to see what our AHL guys can do for the 4C spot. I might see what Simon can do in McKegg’s spot. If he does well, they can then demote sheahan to 4C.

I would also like to see Sprong get some playing time.

And yet again, you can't offer a simple answer to the question you've been bitching about for months. Like I said before, absolutely pathetic. Do everyone a favor and either stop posting or get a clue.

And..."Offer a solution to the 3C problem"...and after you blank again you say "I'd like to see one of our wing prospects get some play time". Jesus christ...are you serious? Do you intentionally answer questions this poorly with the intent to troll?

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
And yet again, you can't offer a simple answer to the question you've been *****ing about for months. Like I said before, absolutely pathetic. Do everyone a favor and either stop posting or get a clue.

And..."Offer a solution to the 3C problem"...and after you blank again you say "I'd like to see one of our wing prospects get some play time". Jesus christ...are you serious? Do you intentionally answer questions this poorly with the intent to troll?

Why don't you try reading my post before acting like this? I said let's try Simon at 4C, not 3C. As for 3C, I don't know who is available now. It's hard for me to just speculate names. Again, I wouldn't have let things get so bad to start Rowney and McKegg at center.

Arizona is pretty much the only team that isn't in playoff contention still. This was another reason why I didn't want to wait - most teams don't give up until later in the season. I think fans here just assumed Vegas would be bad and we could pluck one of their centers from them if our jokes didn't work out.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
If it was only Nashville giving up four picks/prospects and Ottawa only had to give up Turris, who they likely won't resign anyway, then no wonder Poile backed out. He's giving up the most....

You'll never know who backed out, but the idea that the offer for Duchene was futures rather than roster players reflects what I've heard about how the market has evolved.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Why don't you try reading my post before acting like this? I said let's try Simon at 4C, not 3C. As for 3C, I don't know who is available now. It's hard for me to just speculate names. Again, I wouldn't have let things get so bad to start Rowney and McKegg at center.

Arizona is pretty much the only team that isn't in playoff contention still. This was another reason why I didn't want to wait - most teams don't give up until later in the season. I think fans here just assumed Vegas would be bad and we could pluck one of their centers from them if our jokes didn't work out.

So your solution is to take away a meh NHL 4C and replace him with a AHL wing prospect?

But again, with regards to 3c, you can't offer a solution. The only thing you have talk about for MONTHS on end...and you can't offer a single god damn f***ing name or propose one single god damn trade to fix it. Like I said, absolutely pathetic. Stop posting.

Avs44

May 16, 2011
What you don't know is if that's what Colorado wanted and they didn't get there (i.e., Sakic blew it up) OR if they legit were offered that and something else blew it up.

You'll never know, but from what I've understood about the last nine or so months, this would hardly be the first . . . or second or third time . . . a GM has said 'yes' to what Sakic says he wants only to have Sakic blow it up.

McKenzie was on the radio this afternoon and said Colorado was willing to make the trade last night. Said Ottawa was as well. Sounds like Nashville backed out.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
McKenzie was on the radio this afternoon and said Colorado was willing to make the trade last night. Said Ottawa was as well. Sounds like Nashville backed out.

That very well may be what happened last night. That said, it's my understanding that three other teams over the last nine months have said okay to what Sakic said he wanted only for him, from their perspective, to do a 180 and blow it up (I know of one for sure as a Penguins fan).

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Kirk, are you sure you're not hearing Letang for Doughty? Or Letang for Karlsson? Or Letang for Subban?

Letang for a bag of pucks will be more likely by the end of the month at the rate Letang is going. Dude is playing worse and worse each day, and right now he's playing like it's the 30th reunion game of the 2009 Stanley Cup finals.

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
Kirk, do you think JR is mulling if its worth mortgaging the future to get Duchene and increase the chance of threepeating? Or has he backed off in the hopes that the price drops or another player shakes free?

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Don't believe JR was anywhere close to landing a Duchene.
He's simply not gonna pay the heavy price and he probably wants retention on top of it.

It was always "PIT is interested" but the teams solidly in the running have been OTT, CAR, MTL, CBJ, NSH. I'd put a team like NYR ahead of us as well.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Surprised no one mentioned Yohe's tweet about Sather/Schoenfeld following PIT out west. Could be nothing, of course, but i've read some rumblings from a few of the insiders that NYR may be looking to unload/rebuild.

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range
Surprised no one mentioned Yohe's tweet about Sather/Schoenfeld following PIT out west. Could be nothing, of course, but i've read some rumblings from a few of the insiders that NYR may be looking to unload/rebuild.
Yeah, would seem necessary for them to follow us to western Canada, but a Hagelin + 1st for a retained Nash isn't the worst thing I suppose.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Yeah, would seem necessary for them to follow us to western Canada, but a Hagelin + 1st for a retained Nash isn't the worst thing I suppose.

Yea, theres quite a few players that would interest me there if they were willing to deal with us. From Nash to Kreider to JT Miller(who i doubt they'd move) to a Vesey, to maybe a Hayes.

JR had interest in Galchenyuk and explored the idea of Zaripov(Spooner and Tierney too i believe). He's looking for both C and top 6 LW or hybrids. He knows he has Sprong soon and plenty of bottom six LW options coming up(ZAR, Simon, DiPauli, Tiffels, Olund etc.) to Bellerive/Miletic/Bjorkqvist possibly later.

Last edited:

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon

I wouldn't mind getting my hands on Nash. But the only way that works is if Hagelin is going somewhere, and NYR is willing to trade him within the division.

But then that also means we would probably have to suck up Sheahan or Guentzel as our #3C, just due to cap issues. Unless of course COL would do something around Sodo for Hagelin as a cap/cost saving move, and NYR would retain close to 50% closer to the TD.

Guentzel/Sheary - Crosby - Hornqvist
Sheary/Guentzel - Malkin - Rust
Nash - Soderberg - Kessel
Rowney - Sheahan - Reaves/Archibald (I think Rowney would be needed to be one of the PKers/centers)

Just load up the 3rd line, while still giving talent to Crosby and Malkin... and then like 15/16 let teams pick their poison. Do you focus on Crosby/Malkin or Crosby/Sodo?

Probably a pipe dream. But I still think Sodo would be a solid cheaper option to pick up - even without retention.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Letang for a bag of pucks will be more likely by the end of the month at the rate Letang is going. Dude is playing worse and worse each day, and right now he's playing like it's the 30th reunion game of the 2009 Stanley Cup finals.

Tonight, anytime I saw Maatta and Letang out there, I knew we were f***ed. Kris has been bad all year, but Olli started hot and just turned to crap for more than a few games now, not sure if he really misses Schultz or Hunwick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad