Salary Cap: Salary Cap & Roster Building | Now What?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I want to see DeSmith tonight. Then I can make a fair judgement. I'm also good with waiting. :) But being patient around here usually gets ya months and months of back and forth fighting with those who hate patience.

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I get that Duchene is Duchene, but yinz seem willing to give up a lot for a guy who is only signed for one more season after this one. And already has a pretty hefty cap hit for what would be a third line center.

Just you wait. Letang for Duchene/Zad is going to be the go-to proposal coming up because people are unwilling to be patient w/ #58. While I admit he has frustrated me quite a bit, I know this guy will pull through. He's got the work ethic. I trust he will find his way.

But just you wait and see!

Reactions: Shaffer

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I really don't get why people are still talking about Duchene. It makes no sense for a ton of reasons:

1. The Penguins don't need a 3C enough to trade the asinine asking price for Duchene, since they now have Sheahan and McKegg has played well
2. Maatta has been phenomenal so far this year, so trading him for Duchene is a complete non starter.
3. The Penguins don't have the assets to bring in Duchene if Maatta is off the table.
4. Bringing in Duchene puts the Penguins in an extremely uncomfortable cap situation
5. Why is Colorado trading Duchene at any time soon? They're actually doing alright on the year so far and Duchene is playing well.

The time to get Duchene was in the offseason, when you didn't have a Sheahan or McKegg, when Duchene and the Avs were coming off a terrible last year and you still had Pouliot (not because he's particularly valuable, but maybe he would have been a LHD piece that Sakic could have wanted). Now? Makes absolutely no sense.

Reactions: Shaffer

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
Just you wait. Letang for Duchene/Zad is going to be the go-to proposal coming up because people are unwilling to be patient w/ #58. While I admit he has frustrated me quite a bit, I know this guy will pull through. He's got the work ethic. I trust he will find his way.

We haven't gotten to the tradetanger phase of the bitching yet right? Its like with Maatta, you give the injured dude time to acclimate before selling low... Letang for Duchene is a horrid undersell if/when Tanger hits full stride again

Reactions: ColePens

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
We haven't gotten to the tradetanger phase of the *****ing yet right? Its like with Maatta, you give the injured dude time to acclimate before selling low... Letang for Duchene is a horrid undersell if/when Tanger hits full stride again

Yep - exactly why patience is a virtue. That's the hardest part of being a GM, I imagine. When to pull a trigger vs. when not to. It sure as hell aint' easy. There are some things Sully can do, but we need Schultz back first. Limit Tangers minutes. PLEASE. And then give Schultz #1 PP. PLEASE.

Best thing we can do right now is be patient and trust the coaches with Letang. I know #58 has the abilities and the passion to get back to where he was. And if anyone needs a reminder, go watch the Cup run in 2016. Just don't watch Game 5 ECF or Game 3 SCF. :laugh:

Reactions: madinsomniac

Slaaapshuter

May 10, 2015
Team is not playing to their potential but they're chugging along anyway and putting points into the bank on a pretty tough schedule to start the season.

And unlike last season, I don't see any glaring holes. It's a solid ship, which could do for some tweaking before playoffs, but not much more. I like this roster better than last year with the exception of Cullen.

Alot of course because of Määttä, but still I like it a lot.

Once Sullivan gets his lines in order (he will), adding a guy like Haula and pushing Sheahan to 4C is almost overkill and unfair to the rest of the league...

Tune could be different down the road, the roster I might like more but that doesn't mean they will put it together as good as a team as the last two cup years.

And Sprong isn't even up, talk about luxury.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Team is not playing to their potential but they're chugging along anyway and putting points into the bank on a pretty tough schedule to start the season.

And unlike last season, I don't see any glaring holes. It's a solid ship, which could do for some tweaking before playoffs, but not much more. I like this roster better than last year with the exception of Cullen.

Alot of course because of Määttä, but still I like it a lot.

Once Sullivan gets his lines in order (he will), adding a guy like Haula and pushing Sheahan to 4C is almost overkill and unfair to the rest of the league...

Tune could be different down the road, the roster I might like more but that doesn't mean they will put it together as good as a team as the last two cup years.

And Sprong isn't even up, talk about luxury.

You're right. A guy with no goals in this century and McKegg are more than enough to replace Bonino and Cullen.

And, you're right. Better to be 'fair' to the rest of the league than overkill them, like we did two years ago with HBK.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005

I know you're still a little delirious after yesterday and have started calling JT 'DADDY', but, for the record, you were the one to say you'd be open to trading Letang if Colorado would pony up Duchene and Zadarov. :laugh:

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I know you're still a little delirious after yesterday and have started calling JT 'DADDY', but, for the record, you were the one to say you'd be open to trading Letang if Colorado would pony up Duchene and Zadarov. :laugh:

I never ever ever ever said I want to trade Letang. But in my frustration, like when he's on the powerplay, I think of all the NHL 18 trades I can make.

But seriously, all joking/frustration aside, keeping Letang is THE decision to make.

Slaaapshuter

May 10, 2015
You're right. A guy with no goals in this century and McKegg are more than enough to replace Bonino and Cullen.

And, you're right. Better to be 'fair' to the rest of the league than overkill them, like we did two years ago with HBK.

I said with exception of Cullen but regarding Bonino you're probably right yes. Let's not forget this time last year up until... February (?) Bonino was the worst player on a roster that contained Top6-Kunitz. Maybe not the worst player, but rather the worst performer.

All in all, Bonino was a net positive good 3C for us with some key moments. Not some kind of 2C performer playing our 3rd line center.

The "fair" bit was a fun remark...

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011

Heh. How 'bout we update the old legendary proposal ... Letang for Simmer and Ghost :cool:
Seriously, though, you're probably right.

NMK11

Apr 6, 2013
Im starting to cringe at the thought of what Duchene would cost. We dont need a Duchene, we just need something a little better than the motley collection of 4Cs and borderline AHLers we have right now. Getting one of the extra guys on LV or something similar would be fine. That, fix the lines, and play the proper people on the fourth line and this team is golden.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I never ever ever ever said I want to trade Letang. But in my frustration, like when he's on the powerplay, I think of all the NHL 18 trades I can make.

But seriously, all joking/frustration aside, keeping Letang is THE decision to make.

Don't sell NHL 18 short. :D

That said, I think the smarter move is to keep Letang and give him the week off so he can have surgery to remove his head from his ass.

Heh. How 'bout we update the old legendary proposal ... Letang for Simmer and Ghost :cool:
Seriously, though, you're probably right.

I had someone suggest something crazy like Letang for Kadri and Gardiner to me this summer. :popcorn:

I said with exception of Cullen but regarding Bonino you're probably right yes. Let's not forget this time last year up until... February (?) Bonino was the worst player on a roster that contained Top6-Kunitz. Maybe not the worst player, but rather the worst performer.

All in all, Bonino was a net positive good 3C for us with some key moments. Not some kind of 2C performer playing our 3rd line center.

The "fair" bit was a fun remark...

I'm just telling you that JR's master plan isn't a guy for 3C with zero goals this century and frickin' McKegg. He got Sheahan to address an immediate concern about wearing Sid and Geno out and because it wouldn't inhibit the search for a 3C. That's it. There's no market for a 3C right as I understand it as of a few days ago, and JR needed to do something to help Sid and Geno before that market develops.

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011

That said, I think the smarter move is to keep Letang and give him the week off so he can have surgery to remove his head from his ass.

I had someone suggest something crazy like Letang for Kadri and Gardiner to me this summer. :popcorn:

Couldn't have been a Leafs fan, because no way Letang would be worth even one of their healthy scratches. But you can't say that because reasons ;)

Slaaapshuter

May 10, 2015

I'm just telling you that JR's master plan isn't a guy for 3C with zero goals this century and frickin' McKegg. He got Sheahan to address an immediate concern about wearing Sid and Geno out and because it wouldn't inhibit the search for a 3C. That's it. There's no market for a 3C right as I understand it as of a few days ago, and JR needed to do something to help Sid and Geno before that market develops.

Which is fine by me, and also ties in to my remarks of tweaking the roster and pushing Sheahan to 4C.

For being end of October and really there's only one single position people are talking about, it's looking pretty good.

*Just want to add that it's been quite clear from your posts that JR is looking for upgrade and is dreaming of Duchene. Want to stress that if he is successfull in getting that upgrade (not Duchene) we could have our best roster in years.

Last edited:

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
I don't see it. Then again, that's something I needed to be convinced of going in.

So far, he is who I thought he was.

Someone who's a good #3C, but can't create offense on his own? Because that's what he's been there through 3 games.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006

No trade of Letang makes sense unless we were to get a very good established RH shot defenseman in return.

Whatever problems we have with Letang, he serves a valuable role here.

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range

Now Kirk, every team gets a participation ribbon. There is more to hockey than winning.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006

I think he was talking about Haula and Sheahan. Not that they're an upgrade on Bonino and Cullen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad