Salary Cap: Salary Cap & Roster Building | Now What?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
As for quality, Sheahan has looked good imo. Not spectacular, but good. Which is about as much as you can say for the majority of Bones' regular season games here.

Last night was the first game I've seen of Sheahan as a Pen and I liked it. Battled hard, looked smart apart from one suicidal turnover deep in his own zone. Doubt he'll drive too much offence on his own part but could be a good complimentary player to some highly skilled wingers. Or be a good complimentary player to a highly skilled centre; I forget who talking about him as a potential winger here in the last thread, but it wouldn't utterly surprise me to see him stick in the top 9 should we get another 3C. Particularly if McKegg takes off as a 4C.

NMK11

Apr 6, 2013
As well as Cole has played for us, if we trade Maatta we absolutely need another top 4 defenseman. Cole-Schultz is not exactly the second pairing Id like to run with unless the third pair was a 2b type, aka not Hunwick-Ruh. Seems like it would just start too much of a waterfall with filling and creating holes.

Rakell67

Sep 28, 2017
PA
Whats up with Zadorov?
Seems to be in the dog house.
Maybe they could add him and we add another piece to help offset the loss of Maatta?

Or maybe hes just bad and thats why hes scratched?
What about something like this...

To Pens: Duchene, Zadorov
To Avs: Maatta, Sheary, Archibald, 1st, 2019 2nd

Guentzel Crosby Hornqvist
Rust Malkin Sprong
Hagelin Duchene Kessel
Kuhnhackl Sheahan Reaves
Rowney, McKegg

Dumoulin Letang
Zadorov Schultz
Cole Hunwick
Ruhwedel

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
There's no way of adding Duchene and make us a better team imo. With the pieces needed to get him, the best scenario from a net perspective is a lateral move.

It would create a massive hole somewhere or many smaller holes spread out. In any case water is coming in. And that's not worth it to fill a 3C spot, no matter how good he is.

Would love to get him here for peanuts though...

At the current moment RW is severely overloaded. You will be trading from a strength.

Duchene will cost you a Sheary, Sprong, 1st type deal (not saying it has to be them, that's top of the scale asks) so that'll coincide with a Hornqvist re-signing on which way they go with all of this. It certainly will not be a lateral move or create a large hole considering trading from a strength RW to fill a need at C.

Shaffer

GuentzGoal
May 20, 2017
I only trade Maatta for Duchene if Zadorov is coming back...but he is being scratched by the Avs for god’s sake.

Maatta+ZAR+Jarry+Rowney+1st should get Duchene and Zadorov.

Guentzel-Crosby-Hornqvist
Hagelin-Malkin-Kessel
Sheary-Duchene-Rust
Kuhnhackl-Sheahan-Reaves
EX: McKeeg-Archibald

Now I don’t really want to do that trade because Zadorov isn’t doing good an Maatta is playing amazing but it’s a debate if we are getting better in that trade.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Sheahan's been serviceable, but I don't see anything to differentiate him from Rowney at this point...fairly reliable bigger body defensively and a non-factor in terms of driving offense. One was playing with Kuhnhackl and Reaves and the other plays with Hagelin and Hornqvist.

Granted, it's only been 3 games where we've had a lot of trouble scoring at ES.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Sheahan's been serviceable, but I don't see anything to differentiate him from Rowney at this point...fairly reliable bigger body defensively and a non-factor in terms of driving offense. One was playing with Kuhnhackl and Reaves and the other plays with Hagelin and Hornqvist.

well, Sheahan is one of the only guys who actually has helped us score a 5v5 goal since he's been here. And he did it playing with Reaves.

Last edited:

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
who was? Hagelin? Reaves? Sheahan made a strong play on the forecheck, and then set up a perfect screen.

Honestly, I don't understand how you don't think he's been considerably better than Rowney so far. He's just a better hockey player.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
who was? Hagelin? Reaves?

Not every line has somebody driving it. That line scored a goal that Sheahan got a point on, as has Rowney. Neither of them drive offense - they make basic 4th liner plays like kicking the puck to the points and going to the net.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Not every line has somebody driving it. That line scored a goal that Sheahan got a point on, as has Rowney. Neither of them drive offense - they make basic 4th liner plays like kicking the puck to the points and going to the net.
And Sheahan does all of those things better than Carter Rowney.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I don't see it. Then again, that's something I needed to be convinced of going in.

So far, he is who I thought he was.
Agree to disagree I guess. He's not setting the world on fire or anything, but he's looking like a solid NHL player. That's a big step above Rowney.

NMK11

Apr 6, 2013
I only trade Maatta for Duchene if Zadorov is coming back...but he is being scratched by the Avs for god’s sake.

Maatta+ZAR+Jarry+Rowney+1st should get Duchene and Zadorov.

Guentzel-Crosby-Hornqvist
Hagelin-Malkin-Kessel
Sheary-Duchene-Rust
Kuhnhackl-Sheahan-Reaves
EX: McKeeg-Archibald

Now I don’t really want to do that trade because Zadorov isn’t doing good an Maatta is playing amazing but it’s a debate if we are getting better in that trade.

No way that gets it done.
- Rowney is a borderline NHLer.
- Starting goalies are worth mid level picks and Jarry, while having potential, is at this point a backup/AHLer
- ZAR, again while having potential, is also a new prospect and has little value right now

So this trade is Maatta and a 1st for Duchene. Seems like its been clear that Sakic wants that plus a top prospect (think Sprong and not ZAR or Jarry). Not necessarily commenting on what Duchene SHOULD be worth, but if this was the price then a trade would have been made already if not by us then by someone else.

Slaaapshuter

May 10, 2015
At the current moment RW is severely overloaded. You will be trading from a strength.

Duchene will cost you a Sheary, Sprong, 1st type deal (not saying it has to be them, that's top of the scale asks) so that'll coincide with a Hornqvist re-signing on which way they go with all of this. It certainly will not be a lateral move or create a large hole considering trading from a strength RW to fill a need at C.

If the cost was Sheary+Sprong+1st I'm sure JR would have pulled the trigger quicker than Lucky Luke. Even if he really likes Sprong.

The rumoured ask was something along the line of Määttä+Guentzel+Sprong (or other significant piece). Doubt that has changed much.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016

Sheahan has far better hands than Rowney and cycles far better as a consequence based on my viewing.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
If the cost was Sheary+Sprong+1st I'm sure JR would have pulled the trigger quicker than Lucky Luke. Even if he really likes Sprong.

The rumoured ask was something along the line of Määttä+Guentzel+Sprong (or other significant piece). Doubt that has changed much.
There is no way they are trading a D-man of note for Duchene, they simply have no room to pull that off, both in assets and anyone they'd receive back in the deal. Defense is not a strength. As we all know, asking for one thing and getting it is another.

They won't be getting both Maatta and Guentzel in the same deal, let alone Sprong or some other significant piece added to it. It will be of a lesser cost. I have no problem adding Sprong as long as he is the second piece of worth. Duchene simply isn't worth that rumoured extreme, " for anyone" let alone the Pens.

Slaaapshuter

May 10, 2015
There is no way they are trading a D-man of note for Duchene, they simply have no room to pull that off, both in assets and anyone they'd receive back in the deal. Defense is not a strength. As we all know, asking for one thing and getting it is another.

They won't be getting both Maatta and Guentzel in the same deal, let alone Sprong or some other significant piece added to it. It will be of a lesser cost. I have no problem adding Sprong as long as he is the second piece of worth. Duchene simply isn't worth that rumoured extreme, " for anyone" let alone the Pens.

Hence my first post in the chain. We are not getting Duchene and coming out a better team on the other end.

We are not talking objective value, we are talking what Sakic wants to close a deal. And that ask seems to be ludicrous.

I'm sure the ask will go down in time, but doubt it will if you want him this season.

And Sheary+Sprong+1st is something JR would have done without blinking. From a roster perspective (which is what JR is looking at with possible 3-peat), that deal breaks down to Sheary for Duchene straight up. Considering we know from history JR has no problem overpaying for guys he really like, Sakic ask must be very high.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
As someone who has really liked Sheahan from the start and think he has played well so far with Pittsburgh (granted I've only seen 1 full game and bits of 2 more games), I'd love to bring in Haula to bump Sheahan down to the 4C spot. Not only would that be excellent center depth for this year, you'll likely be able to keep that for a few more years, because I can't imagine Sheahan would be cost prohibitive to re-sign.

I'd be happy to keep Sheahan as the 3C though, I think he has done well in that role. He's everything you want from the 3C spot when your top-2 centers are Crosby and Malkin.

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011
I get that Duchene is Duchene, but yinz seem willing to give up a lot for a guy who is only signed for one more season after this one. And already has a pretty hefty cap hit for what would be a third line center.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
As someone who has really liked Sheahan from the start and think he has played well so far with Pittsburgh (granted I've only seen 1 full game and bits of 2 more games), I'd love to bring in Haula to bump Sheahan down to the 4C spot. Not only would that be excellent center depth for this year, you'll likely be able to keep that for a few more years, because I can't imagine Sheahan would be cost prohibitive to re-sign.

I'd be happy to keep Sheahan as the 3C though, I think he has done well in that role. He's everything you want from the 3C spot when your top-2 centers are Crosby and Malkin.

If the price is right. I feel no need to overpay just to get another 3C.

That said, if you can have two 3Cs on the roster then, well, why wouldn't you?

Incidentally, I'm wondering if they might try pulling a Schultz on Sheahan when it comes to contract renewal, although that's a long way down the line.

Shaffer

GuentzGoal
May 20, 2017
No way we get Duchene but I watched the GMJR press conference on June 1st, 2015 when we acquired Kessel and he said they are in on every deal. I just wonder why the Pens were scouting the two COL games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad