Salary Cap: Salary Cap & Roster Building | Now What?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I dunno, I just thought one of our biggest problems was supposed to be that we were tired from the last couple years, and one of Sheahan's biggest problems was supposed to be that he didn't have good enough wingers in Detroit last year. Sheahan should be fresh as a daisy and he's got better wingers than Sid or Geno now.

As for needing different wingers...if Sheahan had started with Kuhn and Rust and wasn't producing people would be saying he needed a Kessel or Guentzel on his line.

I'm not drawing definitive conclusions here but maybe we should start expecting this to be Sheahan's norm rather than some 100 game aberration.

True. They would. And they'd be right, because Kuhn and Rust is a not-great balance on a line. Just neither is Guentzel-Kessel. If management could make it a principle to have one piano-lifter and one piano-player as the wings on each line, that would make me really happy. Almost as happy as winning a bunch of games in style.

But if you're going to have all skill or all graft on the wings, at least put it with the guy who's getting the zone starts to make use of them.

As for Sheahan in Detroit... I thought his main problem was he simply couldn't shoot for crap in a weird aberrational way that is usually going to bounce back. I knew he had awful line mates this year, but don't recall anything being said about last year. But that could be my memory.

In any case, I'd like to judge him here, rather than in Blashill's Blehness. And I'd like to do it after 20 games or so, preferably some when the whole team haven't been cursed.

edit: If DobberHockey is accurate, then its really hard to judge Sheahan's Detroit line mates, as it appears he was the village bicycle and probably wasn't with any particular line mate for more than 20% of his ice time. Certainly not with any settled line for more than 9% of it.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
For the 30th time, I would have signed some sort of free agent center if I knew Bones was leaving before free agency.

And for the 31st time, THERE WERE NONE THAT WE COULD HAVE AFFORDED! Centers in FA were thin and expensive. Bonino choose to go elsewhere. Cullen choose to go elsewhere. Hanzal got almost 5m. So unless you're saying we should have signed Gagner to a 3x3.15m deal... FA wasn't an option.

The fact that Crosby isn't producing does change the fact that Sheahan isn't.

Except it's not just Crosby - it's the whole f***ing team. Oh look, no one is scoring. But damn we sure have a shitty #3C who can't score. Never mind that the best player in the world isnt' scoring either... it's all that #3C's fault. :shakehead

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
I dunno, I just thought one of our biggest problems was supposed to be that we were tired from the last couple years, and one of Sheahan's biggest problems was supposed to be that he didn't have good enough wingers in Detroit last year. Sheahan should be fresh as a daisy and he's got better wingers than Sid or Geno now.

As for needing different wingers...if Sheahan had started with Kuhn and Rust and wasn't producing people would be saying he needed a Kessel or Guentzel on his line.

I'm not drawing definitive conclusions here but maybe we should start expecting this to be Sheahan's norm rather than some 100 game aberration.

So Crosby's excuse is what then? And Malkin's? And Guentzel's? If we're going to start pointing to people who are not scoring at ES... there's a lot more players at the head of that list then Sheahan.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Deflecting attention to Sid not scoring at even strength has no bearing on Sheahan's lack of any offense.

But sure, let's continue to discuss that. Sheahan isn't drained from 2 long postseasons. In fact he should be very rested after he took off all of last season with his putrid play.

I will give Crosby the benefit of the doubt that he'll rebound. Sheahan? He's done nothing over the last 2 seasons to warrant such leadway.

Last edited:

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I don't think equating Sheahan and Spaling is unfair, and why is it a bad thing anyway? Bonino was the same kind of vanilla player, same with Sutter. Sheahan may be more suited for a 4th line defensive role, but being Spaling 2.0 doesn't mean he's a bad player. Him being a safe, reliable and vanilla bottom-6 center is completely fine.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I'm still not convinced Sheahan is any better than McKegg or Rowney - he's scoring about the same (despite playing with better wingers) and isn't really distinguishing himself from them defensively. But we're down Rowney now, so at least Sheahan came in at a good time.

While I don't think McKegg is an everyday NHLer, he's a perfect 4C stopgap because he matches the IDENTITY of the Penguins. Identity is so key in our success. If he can bring speed and pressure, then he fits. And that's why I think he's succeeding. Sheahan does not fit our style at all. It's showing.

And even though I think Reaves is playing well, the style doesn't fit out identity therefore it breaks up what wears teams down.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
that doesn't sound right to me.

Then it must be true, stupid.

Alright, muh redemption.

Sheahan has played 7 games here.

Edmonton. 1 ES goal and 1 OT goal.
Winnipeg. 1 ES goal and 1 OT goal.
Minnesota. 0 ES goals.
Winnipeg. 0 ES goals.
Edmonton. 1 ES goal.
Calgary. 1 ES goal.
Vancouver. 1 ES goal.

*gets it calculator* 5 ES goals since he's been here in 7gp.

Just for fun. Before Sheahan.

St. Louis. 3 ES goals.
Chicago. 0 ES goals.
Nashville. 4 ES goals.
Washington. 0 ES goals.
Tampa. 0 ES goals.
Florida. 2 ES goals and 1 SHG.
New York. 3 ES goal and 1 OT goal.
Florida. 1 ES goal.
Tampa. 0 ES goals.

13 ES in 9gp. Unless he magically siphoned away their ability to score at ES they just collectively can't do it. They had multiple games without producing at ES before him and it looks like the inability to finish was starting up right before they acquired him. It's not a good time to be assessing him on top of other factors with him as a player.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I'm not saying that though. :) I'm saying that Crosby and Malkin probably can't score 5-on-5 lately because they've played a lot of hockey the last couple years and have occasional stretches of low production which they always swiftly bounce back from. 3rd lines with Sheahan probably can't score 5-on-5 lately because 3rd lines with Sheahan haven't been able to score 5-on-5 in 100 games.

Tatar played 16% of his ES time with Sheahan and got 13% of his ES points with him. Larkin played 22% of his ES time and got 21% of his ES points. I think those are the only two guys of real quality to get much time with him - forgive me for being unwilling to do Glendenning.

Talented guys should still be able to wet their beak on Sheahan's line, even when he can't shoot for toffee.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Then it must be true, stupid.

Alright, muh redemption.

Sheahan has played 7 games here.

Edmonton. 1 ES goal and 1 OT goal.
Winnipeg. 1 ES goal and 1 OT goal.
Minnesota. 0 ES goals.
Winnipeg. 0 ES goals.
Edmonton. 1 ES goal.
Calgary. 1 ES goal.
Vancouver. 1 ES goal.

*gets it calculator* 5 ES goals since he's been here in 7gp.

Just for fun. Before Sheahan.

St. Louis. 3 ES goals.
Chicago. 0 ES goals.
Nashville. 4 ES goals.
Washington. 0 ES goals.
Tampa. 0 ES goals.
Florida. 2 ES goals and 1 SHG.
New York. 3 ES goal and 1 OT goal.
Florida. 1 ES goal.
Tampa. 0 ES goals.

13 ES in 9gp. Unless he magically siphoned away their ability to score at ES they just collectively can't do it. They had multiple games without producing at ES before him and it looks like the inability to finish was starting up right before they acquired him. It's not a good time to be assessing him on top of other factors with him as a player.

Please tell me what specific aspects of Sheahan's offensive game, that you've seen over the last 2 weeks, points to anything but a decent 4C. Why does he belong in the same sheet of ice as three solid wingers?

I look forward to yourvanilla generic response. He's a dang good penalty killer and stuff! Or are you going to go with the classic Pens board but but but Bones wasn't that good offensively!?! Maybe a but that's a hyperbole if I've seen one!

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
My god. This thread will be insufferable.

Duchene could have helped so much, but the price just wouldn't have been worth it. I think he's the perfect player for the Pens roster at this time. BUt everything else about it would have sucked.

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
Finally an end to the Duchene pining.

This thread is about to take a turn for the worst though. :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad