Status
Not open for further replies.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
And Wilson?
giphy.gif

Not surprised they made some call ups to switch things around. Hopefully they dont sit out Sprong though.

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
He wouldn't.

Sheary has precisely 1 more ES point than Sprong in 3 more games despite nearly twice as much TOI/G, and playing with Eichel and Reinhart instead of Cullen and Sheahan. And just for you, I'll add that he's blessed with 68% OZ starts to boot. :sarcasm:

Sheary's the same nicheless ~30 point (while playing with a superstar center) offense-only winger this year as he was last year. He's just getting 3 minutes of 1PP time in Buffalo that he'd never have deserved or seen here.

Sheary's novelty was he could play LW/RW and had a good energy to him that would either create a buzz on a line or if he kept falling, which he usually did a lot, people would just focus on that.

But in his last year with the Pens, he scored a lot even strength and was shifted from L1 to L4 and produced like a depth forward while being used as one. People can call that crap or down play it all they want. He was a solid cog and well, trying to replace his production with the likes of adding Grant (who sucks and is back in WBS where he belongs) wasn't a good move and the only reason it was a move was because it was a cap move.

If someone else signed Johnson, we'd still have Sheary. People tend to forget that.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Yeah Cullen isn't the issue and neither is Sprong. Grant does suck but Sprong sitting is going to be stupid when ZAR And Wilson are given opportunities that Sprong wasn't and people will spin that as some "they do more!" narrative which is still bull****.

They should just trade Sprong.
Sullivan is never going to give that kid his shot ever again.

Zero reason to do that unless we're forced to or there's a really good offer out there.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
If your name starts with Daniel and ends with Sprong, you are correct.

Guaranteed Sullivan's next bag of tricks will be...

Guentzel, Crosby, Aston-Reese
Hagelin, Malkin, Kessel
Simon, Sheahan, Hornqvist
Wilson, Cullen, Rust

That probably won't be all that bad TBH. Reese is much better along the boards then Sprong is. And hopefully Simon can be enough of a playmaker to let that line re-create what Sheary, Sheahan and Hornqvist had.

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
Despite his flaws, he had skill, played LW and could make plays and carry the puck. Those are some of the things we're missing with Brassard out.

You....uh...

You know what I'm going to say....

Everyone brace yourselves...

Despite his flaws, he had skill, played LW and could make plays and carry the puck. Those are some of the things we're missing with Brassard in.

:sueme:

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Why have we called up Garrett Wilson? He's 27 years old with 34 NHL games 0 goals 0 assists 0 points, he's a less versatile Grant.

He’s playing really well in WBS. Leading team in goals, points (ppg). Grant isnt doing much for the bottom 6. Not that he’s been bad, he just hasn’t added much.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
That probably won't be all that bad TBH. Reese is much better along the boards then Sprong is. And hopefully Simon can be enough of a playmaker to let that line re-create what Sheary, Sheahan and Hornqvist had.
Like I said, Sprong isn't Sullivan's kind of player, he likes what he likes and he'll take this team down with what he likes, so you might as well move Sprong in a package to land something that works for him now, rather than risk losing his value the longer this charade of him giving Sprong every opportunity succeed keeps going.

Reactions: Tasty Biscuits

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
He’s playing really well in WBS. Leading team in goals, points (ppg). Grant isnt doing much for the bottom 6. Not that he’s been bad, he just hasn’t added much.

Wilson to me is a great AHL player who you can plug into your NHL lineup and he wont hurt you, but he wont bring anything either. Personally I'd have just swapped ZAR and Grant.

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
Can we deal in reality for a second. JR and Sully created a flawed roster from the get go. We all know the problems give or take a few discussions with certain players.

The only question that remains is will JR be able to adjust enough to make us Cup competitive. As it stands right now, if the BIG 3 aren't dominating, we look like a mess. We are back 2011-14, only are stars are that much older.

Madden brought it up this morning and I agree. Fundamentally the organization crapped the bed when they chose 41 year old Cullen over Dea or TB. I would have argued for both.

Right now my biggest complaint is that they are a boring watch.

Lastly, RUST over Sprong with SID is certifiable nutso, wacko and obtuse.

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
This move just shows how bad our depth is in the organization.

No way. There's tons of AHL guys with untapped NHL upside who they could have gone with.

This just shows how far up their own *** the management is. They don't know the solution to their problem because they don't even know what their problem is.

Of course Wilson will get a hat trick tonight :/

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Can we deal in reality for a second. JR and Sully created a flawed roster from the get go. We all know the problems give or take a few discussions with certain players.

The only question that remains is will JR be able to adjust enough to make us Cup competitive. As it stands right now, if the BIG 3 aren't dominating, we look like a mess. We are back 2011-14, only are stars are that much older.

Madden brought it up this morning and I agree. Fundamentally the organization crapped the bed when they chose 41 year old Cullen over Dea or TB. I would have argued for both.

Right now my biggest complaint is that they are a boring watch.

Lastly, RUST over Sprong with SID is certifiable nutso, wacko and obtuse.

JS Dea is Brian Gibbons part 2. Who cares.

Reactions: Beauner

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
No way. There's tons of AHL guys with untapped NHL upside who they could have gone with.

This just shows how far up their own *** the management is. They don't know the solution to their problem because they don't even know what their problem is.

Of course Wilson will get a hat trick tonight :/

One moment you've got tons of people calling for accountability and rewarding form and the next you've got people complaining that the management have their head up their own *** because they called up the most in form AHL player. Can't win!

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
You're not getting it. Not about matching up player vs player. Dea would bring youth, energy and speed. You don't build a team like a video game, they are not individuals.

Dea played here before. He sucked. He is over achieving on a roster devoid of talent.

I am getting it. Dea is not a young player we should care about and Sullivan potentially will have Simon, Sprong and ZAR all in our line-up tonight with Simon playing a top six role.

Seems like they are embracing younger players to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad