Salary Cap: Salary Cap + Roster Building | No Hate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Brassard has been such a disappointment from day one. People keep blaming it on injuries or where he plays in the lineup, but at some point he and Sprong need to force Sully’s hand.
1 goal in 18 games between these two.

At some point you need to at least partially blame the players.

I hope Sprong becomes a good NHL player, but this board has overrated so many forwards in the past. I never understood what people saw in Bennett but he had a cult like following here. Heck, people even liked Eric Tangradi for awhile.

Let’s hope Sprong developes into a better player than some other poor forward prospects in the past.

He’s proven he can produce in the AHL, so it doesn’t make sense to send him down. I don’t think he would bring back much in a trade either.

Tough situation

Reactions: Badfish87

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
Brassard looks like he wants to be resigned for under 3 mill, that's fine with me.

Pens3peat

Jun 15, 2017
Dallas could use a bit more offense; esp at center.

Maybe Brassard and Sprong for Faksa and Honka. Then flip a D for LW.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
I'd want a lot more then Honka if we were moving Brassard AND Sprong. And I certainly wouldn't move Sprong for Honka 1-1.

People keep bringing up Honka... and I'll ask the same thing again. What has Honka done to show that he should be dressed or worse that we should move someone to make room for him? Yes he's a RHD and suppose to be an offensive one at that... but when you're known as an offensive D but are not providing any offense... (2g/10pts in 67 games), I fail to see why we'd be making room for him. Hell Oleksiak out performed him last season in Dallas in fewer games, and in 9 games this season has more goals and 70% of Honka's career points.

Is it possible that Rutherford would move someone to bring in another D? Sure it's possible. But if I was dealing with Dallas, I'd be seeing about moving Maatta and Brassard to bring in Faksa and Johns, not Honka. But what is very unlikely is Rutherford moving someone out just to make room for Honka. I mean maybe if you're plan is to carry 8D all season and send Riikola to WBS... Schultz is out anyway until around the TD... so maybe that's not the end of the world. But we certainly wouldn't have a D to "flip for a LW". But I don't think they're in a hurry to send Riikola down, and seeing how our blueline will be full even when we let Ruhwedel walk this summer, I don't really see Honka as a fit here in the short term (12 mths). Given our amazing blueline depth and prospect pool :)sarcasm:) I wouldn't mind having someone like him around... but when their not waiver eligible and our starting 6 all have 2+ years left on their contracts... I don't really see a fit to be had.

Dumoulin - Letang
Maatta - Oleksiak
Johnson - Ruhwedel
Riikola

+ Schultz on IR

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
As up-and-down as he's been recently, moving Maatta and not having an NHL-regular D coming back the other way does this group no favors.

Yeah, now that Schultz is out that’s a non-starter. Maybe if they could go Maatta-Hagelin-Lauzon for Saad+Rutta. Seems far fetched.

Do think that Saad is a perfect fit just in terms of on ice style though.

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

Pens3peat

Jun 15, 2017
I agree with not really needing Honka, but I would love Faksa. He plays a solid game and would get 30-40 points here; a great 3C. If D Shore wasn't off to a great start, I would ask him and Faksa for Brassard and Sprong. I do not think the Stars would bite. Honka was included to make the trade more even. I do not think Dallas would do Brassard for Faksa, and I think Brassard and Sprong for Faksa is overpayment. Honka, or one of the other current D, could be moved later for 3LW.

I prefer the Pens play Sprong 12-14 minutes per night for the next 20 games...in all situations. See what he can do. I do not think they will do that - unless injury. If not, I would rather move him. Package him and someone else to upgrade.

I would do Maatta and Brassard for Faksa and Johns.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Brassard has been such a disappointment from day one. People keep blaming it on injuries or where he plays in the lineup, but at some point he and Sprong need to force Sully’s hand.
1 goal in 18 games between these two.

At some point you need to at least partially blame the players.

I hope Sprong becomes a good NHL player, but this board has overrated so many forwards in the past. I never understood what people saw in Bennett but he had a cult like following here. Heck, people even liked Eric Tangradi for awhile.

Let’s hope Sprong developes into a better player than some other poor forward prospects in the past.

He’s proven he can produce in the AHL, so it doesn’t make sense to send him down. I don’t think he would bring back much in a trade either.

Tough situation

Brassard in the regular season has been at a .5 ppg clip.

What exactly do you expect from him?

Reactions: Ogrezilla

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Brassard has been such a disappointment from day one.
he came in last year and scored as well as he ever does before getting hurt. Even now, he's playing at a 41 ES point pace. That would be his career 2nd best I believe, despite playing like 3 less minutes a night than he typically has.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I agree with not really needing Honka, but I would love Faksa. He plays a solid game and would get 30-40 points here; a great 3C. If D Shore wasn't off to a great start, I would ask him and Faksa for Brassard and Sprong. I do not think the Stars would bite. Honka was included to make the trade more even. I do not think Dallas would do Brassard for Faksa, and I think Brassard and Sprong for Faksa is overpayment. Honka, or one of the other current D, could be moved later for 3LW.

I prefer the Pens play Sprong 12-14 minutes per night for the next 20 games...in all situations. See what he can do. I do not think they will do that - unless injury. If not, I would rather move him. Package him and someone else to upgrade.

I would do Maatta and Brassard for Faksa and Johns.

Dallas.

Isn’t.

Trading.

Faksa.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I know it was a trade thread but I’d love a Maatta for Saad centered deal.

Considering we've got one defense pairing, plus Oleksiak's offense, carrying our defense right now, I don't think we're in a position to be trading a defense if another (better) one isn't coming back in the deal.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Maatta and Hagelin for Saad and Rutta has already been a trade suggested here and has been received pretty well overall. I'd still be happy about that deal, it kills 2 birds with 1 stone. You fix your LW issues and you help balance out your LD/RD imbalance.

I saw another suggestion I thought was interesting, Maatta for Tyler Myers as a base, with Myers coming with an extension.

Reactions: EightyOne

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
I saw another suggestion I thought was interesting, Maatta for Tyler Myers as a base, with Myers coming with an extension.

I’m not opposed to that, but I think the Pens have to dump Johnson in the offseason in that scenario if they aren’t doing so already.

Jarry+Johnson for a 4/5th round pick (trying to model Orpik deal)? Stings but I’d do that today if I could.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon

Some of the issues with Sprong.
- He's not strong along the wall. I'm not asking him to be like Crosby or Hornqvist... but just watch him and Simon and it's night and day. He needs to be a lot more like Simon in that regard.
- He's still out of position offensively. Sometimes he's in the right spot. And sometimes you're wondering why he is where he is. I'm not even a great x and o guy and even I notice that.
- For someone who's supposed to have a great shot... what's with all these chest snipes? He has 8 shots the last 3 games... and I would wager that at least half (if not a couple more) were lame chest snipes from distance.

People complained about Sheary always "falling down". Well Sprong isn't falling down quite like Sheary was... but he's spending almost as much time on the ice as he was. 6-0 and 180.... he needs to put some serious muscle on and find a way to strengthen up and be a better/stronger board player, because while he's been playing some good hockey recently, he's barely a 3rd line player right now. He's skilled... but he's extremely one dimensional. And that's not the end of the world... but he hasn't shown that he's skilled enough (a la Kessel) to make up for that yet. Could we make it work? Absolutely. But neither do I think we're at a point where Sprong needs to be playing 12-14 minutes a night in all situations. Something I did find promising is that even in the 3rd Sprong wasn't benched - at least not till late in the 3rd. If he can keep playing like he has recently, he will force Sullivan's hand - but in no way shape or form should we gift him anything. But we do need to find a way to reward him for his recent play - but that's NOT a 20 game stint. Besides who are you moving to give him that? Kessel with Malkin (which is usually a pair I'm not a big fan of) have been lights out. And Simon has been good with Crosby. He (and some fans here) just need to relax. If Sprong can keep playing like he has, he'll get his chances.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
Some of the issues with Sprong.
- He's not strong along the wall. I'm not asking him to be like Crosby or Hornqvist... but just watch him and Simon and it's night and day. He needs to be a lot more like Simon in that regard.
- He's still out of position offensively. Sometimes he's in the right spot. And sometimes you're wondering why he is where he is. I'm not even a great x and o guy and even I notice that.
- For someone who's supposed to have a great shot... what's with all these chest snipes? He has 8 shots the last 3 games... and I would wager that at least half (if not a couple more) were lame chest snipes from distance.

People complained about Sheary always "falling down". Well Sprong isn't falling down quite like Sheary was... but he's spending almost as much time on the ice as he was. 6-0 and 180.... he needs to put some serious muscle on and find a way to strengthen up and be a better/stronger board player, because while he's been playing some good hockey recently, he's barely a 3rd line player right now. He's skilled... but he's extremely one dimensional. And that's not the end of the world... but he hasn't shown that he's skilled enough (a la Kessel) to make up for that yet. Could we make it work? Absolutely. But neither do I think we're at a point where Sprong needs to be playing 12-14 minutes a night in all situations. Something I did find promising is that even in the 3rd Sprong wasn't benched - at least not till late in the 3rd. If he can keep playing like he has recently, he will force Sullivan's hand - but in no way shape or form should we gift him anything. But we do need to find a way to reward him for his recent play - but that's NOT a 20 game stint. Besides who are you moving to give him that? Kessel with Malkin (which is usually a pair I'm not a big fan of) have been lights out. And Simon has been good with Crosby. He (and some fans here) just need to relax. If Sprong can keep playing like he has, he'll get his chances.

Purely speculating- but I’m predicting Sprong is about to have a big chance when Brassard comes back and will play with him. I think they basically throw Brass in for Grant and roll with it.

Reactions: Peat and Ogrezilla

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Oof Tampa Bay continues to hamstring themselves with these huge contracts.

Tampa only has 5 players making more than 5.5m: Kucherov, Stamkos, Hedman, Callahan and McDonagh. And only one of those guys is a problem contract - the other 4 range from good/great to amazing contracts.

So while they do have 5 others signed long term to 4.45m+ (Killorn, Gourde, Johnson, Palat and Miller), none of those guys will be hard contracts to move if they need to. I mean what would you offer up for Killorn or Palat? Both would be good options to help our LW issue here. And Gourde, TJ and Miller have all been playing center this season, and while Gourde and Miller likely aren't getting traded, all 3 would be desirable options for various teams.

NMK11

Apr 6, 2013
he came in last year and scored as well as he ever does before getting hurt. Even now, he's playing at a 41 ES point pace. That would be his career 2nd best I believe, despite playing like 3 less minutes a night than he typically has.
And he's on pace for his third highest total scoring year ever. He's producing despite not really passing the eye test right now, whatever that means.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
Guentzel isn't going to get that if Gourde is getting what he got.

Maybe not, Gourde did put up 25 goals and 64 points last season though. I'm sure Guentzel's agent will be looking for a number that begins with 6 though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad