Salary Cap: Salary Cap + Roster Building: Malkin Avengers - EndGame

Status
Not open for further replies.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
If Malkin can't actually make changes to his game and adapt... then depending on the returns, potentially. I don't care about JR so much as I do Sully. Because while all coaches have a shelf life, ultimately at the end of the day you still need a coach, and unless we can get a better one then Sully, getting rid of him doesn't make a ton of sense right now.
You also need good players, though. And it's going to be hard to get a better one than Malkin.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
You also need good players, though. And it's going to be hard to get a better one than Malkin.

On an individual basis? Absolutely. But that doesn't mean we couldn't find a way to have a better team, even if no one has Malkin's skill.

That said, I don't think it really matters as Malkin almost certainly will not be traded this summer. We'll likely move Kessel and Maatta and potentially a few other depth pieces, and Malkin's fate will be put off till next season when we can see how his season goes and what changes happen to his game.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
Chicago, who also have won 3 Cups in 'recent' years, had the stones to fire Joel Quenneville...a far more accomplished head coach than Mike Sullivan in my humble opinion...and replace him with the immortal (sarcasm) Jeremy Colliton. That move basically saved their season and almost led to an unlikely playoff birth. AND, moving forward they look a lot better today than they did at the time of the firing. A new voice, people.

The Kings got rid of Sutter, and that move has not really worked out at all. Even though, at the time it sure looked like it was time for Sutter to go. They just have not found the right guy since, and in 1 1/2-2 years they will fire McLellan and try yet again.

So, firing Sullivan alone will not solve all of this team's issues. I know that. But why would we as an organization side with the guy behind the bench over one of the greatest ON the ice? IF that is a direct rift between coach and player, then you fire Sullivan and look for the right guy to hire. Someone who will get the best out of Malkin, not clash with his style...a style that has helped produce three Stanley Cups. 71 is NOT the problem, he is very much a huge chunk of the solution and that is not just fan-speak...we have banners to prove it as fact.

After thinking about this a little more, Mario Lemieux needs to get involved here and once and for all declare that 71 will retire a Penguin, end of story. While ownership meddling into team operations is not ideal all the time, in this case I think it absolutely is the only thing that can prevent a catastrophy.

And, as much as I like Jim Rutherford, he needs to go as well if his solution to this team's issues is to trade 71. The more I think about it, the more it is absolute madness to be even thinking about trading Malkin.

Oh, and one other thing...Crosby seems to be exactly what Sullivan wants in an elite center but even he was hot garbage against the Islanders.

So the issue goes beyond Geno, Kessel, Letang and the other defensemen.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Chicago, who also have won 3 Cups in 'recent' years, had the stones to fire Joel Quenneville...a far more accomplished head coach than Mike Sullivan in my humble opinion...and replace him with the immortal (sarcasm) Jeremy Colliton. That move basically saved their season and almost led to an unlikely playoff birth. AND, moving forward they look a lot better today than they did at the time of the firing. A new voice, people.

The Kings got rid of Sutter, and that move has not really worked out at all. Even though, at the time it sure looked like it was time for Sutter to go. They just have not found the right guy since, and in 1 1/2-2 years they will fire McLellan and try yet again.

So, firing Sullivan alone will not solve all of this team's issues. I know that. But why would we as an organization side with the guy behind the bench over one of the greatest ON the ice? IF that is a direct rift between coach and player, then you fire Sullivan and look for the right guy to hire. Someone who will get the best out of Malkin, not clash with his style...a style that has helped produce three Stanley Cups. 71 is NOT the problem, he is very much a huge chunk of the solution and that is not just fan-speak...we have banners to prove it as fact.

After thinking about this a little more, Mario Lemieux needs to get involved here and once and for all declare that 71 will retire a Penguin, end of story. While ownership meddling into team operations is not ideal all the time, in this case I think it absolutely is the only thing that can prevent a catastrophy.

And, as much as I like Jim Rutherford, he needs to go as well if his solution to this team's issues is to trade 71. The more I think about it, the more it is absolute madness to be even thinking about trading Malkin.

Oh, and one other thing...Crosby seems to be exactly what Sullivan wants in an elite center but even he was hot garbage against the Islanders.

So the issue goes beyond Geno, Kessel, Letang and the other defensemen.

This isn't about there being a "riff" between Malkin and the coach, but of Malkin and some of the issues he has that really showed up this season. And I'd put a lot more faith in an 82 game sample size over a 4 game one.

Honestly, you really need to remove the emotional disconnect between your love for Malkin and whatever his future ends up being with the team.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
This isn't about there being a "riff" between Malkin and the coach, but of Malkin and some of the issues he has that really showed up this season. And I'd put a lot more faith in an 82 game sample size over a 4 game one.

Honestly, you really need to remove the emotional disconnect between your love for Malkin and whatever his future ends up being with the team.

If it was really about one bad year only, why isn’t Horny being shown the door apparently? Rust was also pretty bad. Geno didn’t play well since November when Hags was traded, that’s more like a 50 game sample than 82 (he played 68 games), but whatever, he was inconsistently poor this past year.... he’s had spurts of not playing well before, as have Sid and Letang...a guy who’s given 13 years of stellar play overall shouldn’t be shown the door for one bad year if that was all it was...that’s why most people think it’s more than that, and is not just because people are overly attached to Geno...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad