Salary Cap: Salary Cap & Roster Building - Killing time with pointless rumors

Status
Not open for further replies.

Corvidae

May 5, 2009
They also dont have Crosby/Malkin. But drafted guys like Couture, Pavelski, Hertl, Lebanc, etc..

They've been pretty great at it.

And we arent bad...we just trade our 1st every year. Guentzel was a great pick. Murray was a great pick. Build from that. We will see with Blueger, Bjorkvist, Hallander, Almeida, Addison, etc.

May not be a Guentzel in that group but guys who are better than who we currently have in the bottom six. And a few who have the potential to be top(two) line players.

Have to continue drafting the way we did last year.

Guentzel was a great Shero pick. And you can't quite say they're bad but you very much cannot say they're good. My optimism for this management group is at all time low. Botts took their head scout with him, remember? One of the reasons their D is so expensive is because of how garbage the prospect pool is and they've had to go the UFA/trade route. That's a clear sign of poor drafting, at least in priority, but like you said, it's also a sign that they traded a shit ton of picks.

Reactions: Andy99

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
- "Requires solid drafting." ****, I was hoping it was something the Pens could do.

- Sharks are a **** call/MAF melt from being dumped in the 1st round, then went to 7 against the equivalent 8th seed, winning by a 1 goal and a lucky offsides. They're good enough to take advantage of some favorable officiating in a bonkers year, and sometimes that's all you need, but I would not consider them a model of success.

Pens have drafted very well outside the first round

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Did the Canes have push back?

Did the Bruins?

Do the Sharks?

Do the Blues?

Did the Capitals in 2017? Did the Lightning in the recent years?

Those faulting JR for wanting a smidge of size and physicality on the roster have not been watching hockey recently. This isnt 2016-7 anymore. The league does evolve.

We can argue if those he was able to obtain performed well, sure. But to blame JR for trying to counter the winning trends...this is where I will disagree.

Reactions: Riptide and Pens17

Turin

Feb 27, 2018

Did the Bruins?

Do the Sharks?

Do the Blues?

Those faulting JR for wanting a smidge of size and physicality on the roster have not been watching hockey recently. This isnt 2016-7 anymore. The league does evolve.

We can argue if those he was able to obtain performed well, sure. But to blame JR for trying to counter the winning trends...this is where I will disagree.

It’s been two years since 2017. The league hasn’t changed that much. Those teams weren’t successful because of physicality. The only physicality that really matters is the ability to get to the puck first and keep it.

Corvidae

May 5, 2009
I dunno, too early to tell :dunno:

So then you cannot say that "Pens have drafted very well outside the first round" with any meaning, since the group doing the drafting is largely different, and you just said, "I dunno, too early to tell."

I agree with the second point.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Is there a word for somewhere between rebuild and retool?

Because I feel like rebuild is what you've got to do when your 5-6 best players just aren't good enough to envision winning a cup with. And retool is what happens when your 5-6 best players are, but the team as a whole isn't.

Because I think we might have to replace one of that 5-6 (and also a lot of the supporting staff). So kinda in the middle.

I dunno if it’s 5 or 6. More like 2 or 3 best players. I think the team is potentially 3 pieces away, and one of those is simply addition by subtraction. They definitely need new Sheary and Rust’s though.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Since JR?

I dunno, too early to tell :dunno:

Was his first the 2014 or 2015? In any case, those are the only two where we're beginning to know. And 2015 has yielded two 100+ game NHLers from 4 picks without a first rounder, which is a solid A+ grade for drafting imo. I suspect the yield from 2016/2017 might be a little ropy due to the "intriguing" dmen drafted then, but there's still hope, and the early indications on 2018 couldn't be more promising.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
So then you cannot say that "Pens have drafted very well outside the first round" with any meaning, since the group doing the drafting is largely different, and you just said, "I dunno, too early to tell."

I agree with the second point.

Kapanen, Sprong, Simon, and Gustavsson look decent at least. We’ll see about the last draft batch which seemed decent plus guys like Bjorkvist and Lafferty. It’s too early to say it’s good but too early to say they can’t draft either.

Corvidae

May 5, 2009

Did the Bruins?

Do the Sharks?

Do the Blues?

I absolutely f***ing fault JR for swapping "size and physicality" in place for "good" and completely missing the point on what makes those teams successful. I absolutely fault JR for trading a good young player with size and a 1st (two things in short supply here) for Ryan Reeves, then, almost as bad, trading Ryan Reeves right before he might have actually been useful in a series of deals that also removed Ian Cole (size and physicality) and brought in Derek Brassard (farts and dry sheets). Blame Mike Sullivan all you want but JR signed the papers. I absolutely fault JR for trading Hagelin for an uninteresting cream puff, then said puff for "size and physicality" with one of the worst players in the NHL who we're all thrilled wasn't a total abomination for a short sample of games. THEN trying to trade back for Hagelin, only for it to no go through because they didn't know the NHLs rules. If this stuff doesn't show you that management have lost their general sense of wtf they're doing, I don't know what will.

Corvidae

May 5, 2009
Kapanen, Sprong, Simon, and Gustavsson look decent at least. We’ll see about the last draft batch which seemed decent plus guys like Bjorkvist and Lafferty. It’s too early to say it’s good but too early to say they can’t draft either.

I literally said that almost verbatim in the post above the one you quoted.

LiffLaff

Crazy? Me?
Feb 22, 2010
Vardal
How could we acquire Edler & Mccabe? Obviously trade JJ, Maatta and Gudbranson. Any ideas on a trade scenario to do that?
Was'nt Edler and Sullivan oil and water in Van? Can't see him coming here if that's the case.

Last edited:

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I dunno if it’s 5 or 6. More like 2 or 3 best players. I think the team is potentially 3 pieces away, and one of those is simply addition by subtraction. They definitely need new Sheary and Rust’s though.

What three pieces do you think those are?

LiffLaff

Crazy? Me?
Feb 22, 2010
Vardal
Going with tradition, Sullivan will be fired by the half way point of the season, and we will get our next cup.
With JR singing Sullys praises all summer, i'd be pretty shocked if he's not given at least one more shot at the playoffs, but, if it brought back another cup, i would'nt mind.

Reactions: Andy99

JackFr

Jun 18, 2010
I did forget that Simon was a JR pick.

It really can't be stated enough how much Johnson handicapped us this season. Without him on the ice, we were a top team. Malkin and Kessel got stuck with him all year while Crosby got to crush it with Letang.

This roster is called "The Penguins get better on a budget" aka "The Penguins get the good kind of pushback."

McCann - Crosby - Guentzel
Roussel - Malkin - Kessel
Simon - Bjugstad - Rust
Aston-Reese - Blueger - Hornqvist
Bellerive

Dumoulin - Letang
Dillon - Schultz
Pettersson - Gudbranson
Ruhwedel

Trade Maatta to the Canucks for Roussel
Trade a mid-round pick to the Sharks for Dillon
Shoot Johnson into the sun/staple him to the press box for good.

Roussel and Dillon can play on top of having those nice mean qualities. Both of them have also fallen out of favour with their coaches despite really nice underlying numbers. Explore moving Hornqvist if possible and provide opportunities for Johnson, Bellerive, and Lafferty to see some time.

Spend the season looking for a long-term option on RD to replace Schultz - maybe Colin Miller if we can afford him.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018

It really can't be stated enough how much Johnson handicapped us this season. Without him on the ice, we were a top team. Malkin and Kessel got stuck with him all year while Crosby got to crush it with Letang.

This roster is called "The Penguins get better on a budget" aka "The Penguins get the good kind of pushback."

Simon - Bjugstad - Rust
Bellerive

Dumoulin - Letang
Dillon - Schultz
Pettersson - Gudbranson
Ruhwedel

Roussel and Dillon can play on top of having those nice mean qualities. Both of them have also fallen out of favour with their coaches despite really nice underlying numbers. Explore moving Hornqvist if possible and provide opportunities for Johnson, Bellerive, and Lafferty to see some time.

Spend the season looking for a long-term option on RD to replace Schultz - maybe Colin Miller if we can afford him.
45393428.jpg

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
With JR singing Sullys praises all summer, i'd be pretty shocked if he's not given at least one more shot at the playoffs, but, if it brought back another cup, i would'nt mind.

Until I see Sully get a new contract, I'd be taking Rutherford's comments with some salt.

Reactions: Pens17

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh

Simon - Bjugstad - Rust
Bellerive

Dumoulin - Letang
Dillon - Schultz
Pettersson - Gudbranson
Ruhwedel

I have a problem with not having "AJ" Styles in that lineup.
Promo%2B1.gif

Reactions: KIRK

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
AJ as 13th forward and Bellerive as the call up for a skill injury is also an option.

I don't have an issue with AJ earning it on line 4, he won't be earning anything from a 13th forward position. HC Sully needs to see the untapped potential and get those jets in the lineup regularly.

JackFr

Jun 18, 2010
I don't have an issue with AJ earning it on line 4, he won't be earning anything from a 13th forward position. HC Sully needs to see the untapped potential and get those jets in the lineup regularly.
I just can't think of a guy on that roster I'd take out for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad