Salary Cap: Salary Cap & Roster Building - Killing time with pointless rumors

Status
Not open for further replies.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
I'd just be really curious what ARI, LA and NSH are willing to part with if they're the ones on his yes list that are in on him.
Hopefully if he nixes this deal theres at least 2 of these "yes" list teams bidding for his services.

ETA: I'm pretty warmed up to the MIN deal. Getting JJ outta here is so damn enticing.

Reactions: JackFr

WHOneedsSOX

Mar 1, 2015
I'd just be really curious what ARI, LA and NSH are willing to part with if they're the ones on his yes list that are in on him.
Hopefully if he nixes this deal theres at least 2 of these "yes" list teams bidding for his services.

ETA: I'm pretty warmed up to the MIN deal. Getting JJ outta here is so damn enticing.
There's zero chance the kings are interested unless you take Phaneuf which you obviously won't. Kings would add more of course but Phaneuf would still have to be part of it.

Reactions: All blacks

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
There's zero chance the kings are interested unless you take Phaneuf which you obviously won't. Kings would add more of course but Phaneuf would still have to be part of it.

Not totally sure about LA. More ARI and NSH.
IF LA called on Phil tho and y'all said Phaneuf, you'd be hung up immediately. lul

ETA: When i'm talkin' those 3 teams, JJ ain't involved. I assume you assume i meant he was.

Talisman

Nov 7, 2015
If we looking for winger for Geno the Answer is Nikita Gusev!. Fellow country man and shoots from right!

Kasperi kapanen

Jul 23, 2014
I don’t mind Zucker as part of the return, but I don’t like that we have to include JJ in there to lower Phil’s value and also take back Rask. Would rather get Zucker+1st or even Zucker+2nd/prospect than the rumored deal.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
The Kessel-Ellis discussions (teams talked twice last season) would be a good way to fill the RHD void then.

That's a deal that makes some sense to me. I have long been an Ellis fan, but that contract gives me some real pause.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
I don’t mind Zucker as part of the return, but I don’t like that we have to include JJ in there to lower Phil’s value and also take back Rask. Would rather get Zucker+1st or even Zucker+2nd/prospect than the rumored deal.

Should be more than that...agreed. While Zucker has decent numbers(not that they compare to Kessel's) he hasn't been a playoff performer. 33 playoff games and only 4g 4a. I remember that being a criticism of his play.

Then again Brassard put up good numbers in the playoffs and suddenly went the opposite route with us so who knows. Zucker does stay healthy...unless he officially becomes a Pen.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Phaneuf has pushback though!

I'm hoping this rumor of targeting Zucker who makes guys he plays with better and the emergence of JJ's name over Olli being potentially shipped first means JR and company have let Ventura have a bit of pull again in player evaluation/acquistion departments.
It does seem like JR tuned him out during the Reaves trade/JJ signing period.
I think JR is like that. He can change on a dime and maybe, just maybe during his deep dive he realized how much of a drag Phil and JJ have been on the team as a whole 5on5.
Meaning this "push back" thing can turn on a dime to JR leaning more on the deeper stats of not only what he has on the roster but who to target in deals.
Here's to hopin', i suppose.

StroShow

Dec 22, 2013
Vancouver
Phil Kessel + Jack Johnson + Joseph Blandisi for Jason Zucker + Victor Rask + Joel Erikkson-Ek

Olli Maatta for 2019 2nd

Sign Ben Chiarot 3 X 2.5M

Jake Guentzel - Sidney Crosby - Jared McCann
Jason Zucker - Evgeni Malkin - Bryan Rust
Nick Bjugstad - Victor Rask - Patric Hornqvist
Joel Erikkson Ek - Teddy Blueger - Dominik Simon
Zach Aston-Reese

Brian Dumoulin - Kris Letang
Marcus Petterson - Justin Schultz
Ben Chiarot - Erik Gudbranson
Chad Ruwhedel

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I get that JR has to deal in the reality that exists today, but seeing this proposed deal just pisses me off. What a colossal mess he made with the cap and roster structure since the 2017 cup win.

There are way too many mediocre to "good" players with term and close to top dollar cap hits for what they bring.

Reactions: Andy99

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
I get that JR has to deal in the reality that exists today, but seeing this proposed deal just pisses me off. What a colossal mess he made with the cap and roster structure since the 2017 cup win.

There are way too many mediocre to "good" players with term and close to top dollar cap hits for what they bring.

The price of success, no? I mean, the players he re-signed who were part of back-to-back Cups would have been re-signed by pretty much any NHL GM. I personally do not like the Hornqvist contract because of his likely imminent decline, but Dumoulin is fine, Rust is OK, even Maatta would not be too bad if he had maintained greater health.

As for those he has brought in since, the Johnson deal is the one everybody cannot stand. The cap hit is not terrible, imo, it's just the term. But there are far worse contracts out there, and far worse defensemen too. Just saying.

Gudbranson? Bjugstad? McCann? None of those deals are a problem for me. JR continues to tinker to find the right mix because his head coach cannot seem to be satisfied with anything he does. The coach does not even like most of the players JR brings in...i.e. Reaves, Brassard, Pearson.

Our issue is coaching more than personnel. Stanley Cup winners are being chastised and one will almost surely be shown the door. I still have a problem that it has come to this re: Kessel. The man is clutch. He was the best player in the postseason in 2016, but thanks to the rep he has had to carry since the Toronto media absolutely destroyed him, he did not win the Conn Smythe. But make no mistake, when we trade Phil Kessel this off-season we are trading away a Conn Smythe winner. Mike Sullivan does not like him. Boo frickin'hoo.

Last point: JR wins the vast majority of the trades he makes. But when the coach depreciates his assets, it is kinda hard to keep a perfect record on that front.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
The price of success, no? I mean, the players he re-signed who were part of back-to-back Cups would have been re-signed by pretty much any NHL GM. I personally do not like the Hornqvist contract because of his likely imminent decline, but Dumoulin is fine, Rust is OK, even Maatta would not be too bad if he had maintained greater health.

As for those he has brought in since, the Johnson deal is the one everybody cannot stand. The cap hit is not terrible, imo, it's just the term. But there are far worse contracts out there, and far worse defensemen too. Just saying.

Gudbranson? Bjugstad? McCann? None of those deals are a problem for me. JR continues to tinker to find the right mix because his head coach cannot seem to be satisfied with anything he does. The coach does not even like most of the players JR brings in...i.e. Reaves, Brassard, Pearson.

Our issue is coaching more than personnel. Stanley Cup winners are being chastised and one will almost surely be shown the door. I still have a problem that it has come to this re: Kessel. The man is clutch. He was the best player in the postseason in 2016, but thanks to the rep he has had to carry since the Toronto media absolutely destroyed him, he did not win the Conn Smythe. But make no mistake, when we trade Phil Kessel this off-season we are trading away a Conn Smythe winner. Mike Sullivan does not like him. Boo frickin'hoo.

Last point: JR wins the vast majority of the trades he makes. But when the coach depreciates his assets, it is kinda hard to keep a perfect record on that front.

Without getting into every detail and re-hash the Bonino argument again because I've done it enough, I will just say that JR has done a LOT of tinkering and trading and ended up with a worse roster and less assets than when they exited the 2017 Cup run.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
giphy.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad