Salary Cap: Salary Cap & Roster Building | Insert Witty Thread Title Here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
The bolded were cap moves, not trades. Pittsburgh is not in the position to make such a move, and thus said players (or similar ones) would never be available to them. Using those two as examples is disingenuous.

The DD trade was in part to address a need and in part due to the ED and Edmonton's protected list. If they didn't move him (Davidson) they were going to lose him.

And Stallberg isn't a center, having only taken 13 FOs in the last 4 years.

That leaves Boyle, Ott, Fiddler, Shaw and Eller. Only the latter pair (assuming you see Shaw as a full time C) are legitimate #3Cs, and personally I see Shaw (when

I'd pay a steep price for Flippula. The guy even in a down year last year still put up 35 ES points and 42 overall, and is a pass first center, while typically being good on faceoffs and not bad defensively.

Honestly, out of all the guys even conceivably available, Flippula would rank near the top of that list.

I was taking into consideration the fact we'd have to move out major salary for a player like Flip.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Don't they avoid using a year of their ELC if they play 9 or fewer games? Or something like that.

Only when the player is a junior player and after the 9 games they get sent back to the CHL. When discussing an AHL player, it doesn't matter...

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
It's too bad we can't have civil discussions anytime someone questions the decisions, or lack there of, of management. People call me a troll but I get peppered with 25 "I guess we should trade Crosby!" replies whenever I question Rutherford.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
I was taking into consideration the fact we'd have to move out major salary for a player like Flip.

With 50% retention, he only costs 2.5m. He's a FA at the end of this year, so if Philly isn't in the PO race (likely) they'll be moving him closer to the TD (say Jan/Feb), and getting retention won't be an issue.

And while there's always the notion "they won't trade with us", for a rental in a year they're not making the playoffs, I doubt it's an issue - they'll be selling and will sell to whomever pays them the most.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
It's too bad we can't have civil discussions anytime someone questions the decisions, or lack there of, of management. People call me a troll but I get peppered with 25 "I guess we should trade Crosby!" replies if I ever question Rutherford.

No, it's because you ask a question or make a meh statement. Which is fine... until you ignore the answer(s) and then continue making the same statement or asking the same question... over and over and over... while always ignoring the answers.

That is the point where the mocking and trolling comments come out. You've asked and we've answered your same questions many many times. So now we resort to mocking - it keeps us saner.

M0NTY26

Force from Ma'gorsk
Feb 27, 2010
lol did i really just read some people saying Kunitz gives Tampa depth. The same guy everyone wanted HS on this team, but now that he's gone, he's suddenly a valuable depth player we'd rather have in our lineup vs. our actual lineup?

This site is special.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
It's too bad we can't have civil discussions anytime someone questions the decisions, or lack there of, of management. People call me a troll but I get peppered with 25 "I guess we should trade Crosby!" replies whenever I question Rutherford.

Get off the cross, we need the wood.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
No, it's because you ask a question or make a meh statement. Which is fine... until you ignore the answer(s) and then continue making the same statement or asking the same question... over and over and over... while always ignoring the answers.

That is the point where the mocking and trolling comments come out. You've asked and we've answered your same questions many many times. So now we resort to mocking - it keeps us saner.

Well the answers have always been something that Steigerwald would suggest. Give me the facts. How is it easier and most cost effective to wait until the deadline to acquire a center? Please justify how and why any of the current centers should be a longterm solution at center? If they aren't long term solutions, why didn't we sign a free agent center as insurance? Why are we waiting to fix this? Why did we seemingly have no backup plan with Cullen or Bones?

Instead I get responses like we just won the cup; or hindsight is 20/20; sarcastic remarks like today; Bonino is overrated; we have until the deadline etc.

Why wasn't this addressed at the draft? Free agency? During the summer?

M0NTY26

Force from Ma'gorsk
Feb 27, 2010
Well the answers have always been something that Steigerwald would suggest. Give me the facts. How is it easier and most cost effective to wait until the deadline to acquire a center? Please justify how and why any of the current centers should be a longterm solution at center? If they aren't long term solutions, why didn't we sign a free agent center as insurance? Why are we waiting to fix this? Why did we seemingly have no backup plan with Cullen or Bones?

Instead I get responses like we just won the cup; or hindsight is 20/20; sarcastic remarks like today; we have until the deadline etc.

How do you know he didn't ask around at the draft? What good free agents would've you gone after that fit the bill we're looking for at 3 million per? The point here... you, nor anyone posting here, have any idea what JR does.

The guy just won us back to back Cups. I'm pretty sure he has a lot better grasp on running an NHL team than you do. You don't win the Cup in Oct.

I haven't been following this conversation, and I'm not sure who you are, but you're really coming across as a short sighted casual fan with this jibberish you're spewing.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Key part. While I think Point is (for now) underrated, you can't look at this team without their #3C and say well I'd take that team because our C depth sucks. At least wait until we attempt to fill it - then you might have a point. :shakehead

I mean, I was addressing the post he made about our roster winning a cup as it is now. I think our bottom six is a mess right now especially our fourth line.

It is funny cos the argument was Vladdy or Point being in their top six which knocks Palat or Killorn down to the bottom six.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon

Instead I get responses like we just won the cup; or hindsight is 20/20; sarcastic remarks like today; Bonino is overrated; we have until the deadline etc.

Every single one of those Qs have been answered - many many times. The fact that you do not like the answer or are ignoring them doesn't change the fact that they have actually been answered. And in far more detail then "we won the cup, or Bonino is overrated, we have till the TD, etc". You just do not like the answers.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
How do you know he didn't ask around at the draft? What good free agents would've you gone after that fit the bill we're looking for at 3 million per? The point here... you, nor anyone posting here, have any idea what JR does.

The guy just won us back to back Cups. I'm pretty sure he has a lot better grasp on running an NHL team than you do. You don't win the Cup in Oct.

I haven't been following this conversation, and I'm not sure who you are, but you're really coming across as a short sighted casual fan with this jibberish you're spewing.

These are the wishy washy stuff I've been hearing all summer: we just won the cup, you can't force trades, you can't force people to sign here, how do you know he hasn't tried?

This is the exact same stuff people said in defense of Shero.

Rutherford said himself he had 5 potential trades lined up in June. He could have signed Bones. He had options but didn't pursue anything, yet. So don't act like he was without options.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
I mean, I was addressing the post he made about our roster winning a cup as it is now. I think our bottom six is a mess right now especially our fourth line.

I don't mind the 4th line. It won't be great... but it never was going to be once Cullen left. Even a quality #4C replacement would have been a disappointment. Add in Reaves... and yeah, I do not have high expectations for that line.

The 3rd line, we have an obvious hole, which will eventually be filled. However our winger depth is strong and full of quality, so depending on how the lines shake out, I'm really not all that worried about things. Sure it'll likely be a mess until that #3C is found, but meh, w/e. People are not wrong in saying we'll make the POs with our roster exactly as is. Not the ideal situation, but one that at least gives JR time to make the right move vs just any move.

One thing I would like is to see the #4C upgraded at the TD. Someone like Richardson would be ideal there. And if we can get someone like Karlsson, Lindberg, Sodo (retention), Sheahan, or even Spooner (although I'd take any of the others first) that we would have a pretty decent group.

Sheary - Crosby - Hornqvist
Guentzel - Malkin - Rust
Hagelin - XXXXX - Kessel
XXXXXX - XXXXX - Reaves

#3C: Karlsson, Lindberg, Sodo, Sheahan, Spooner, Flippula
#4LW: Kuhnhackl, Wilson, Archibald, Hagelin (if a rookie steps up)
#4C: Richardson or some other comparable #4C

^^ That I think would be a team truly capable of defending their title and going against the best in the league. Still need the luck and bounces - but then every team who wins a cup needs those.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

Because you don't "discuss" anything. You repeat the exact same thing over and over "but why hasn't it been fixed yet? Why why why?!?!" no matter how much people explain it to you.

If you noticed, pixie and I have had a discussion for the past two pages that was civilized because both he and I were providing substance to our points of view instead of just sticking our fingers in our ears and screaming "why hasn't it been done yet?!?!" over and over.

There's disagreeing with someone's point of view, and then there's completely ignoring whatever someone says. The former usually results in decent the discussion, the latter is why you get so much flak.

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
These are the wishy washy stuff I've been hearing all summer: we just won the cup, you can't force trades, you can't force people to sign here, how do you know he hasn't tried?

Rutherford said himself he had 5 potential trades lined up in June. He could have signed Bones. He had options but didn't pursue anything, yet. So don't act like he was without options.

It's only an issue if the the TDL has past and the team is struggling, otherwise it's a nonissue.

Shaffer

GuentzGoal
May 20, 2017
I feel JR will see how Rowney/Bluegar/Johnson/whoever else in the system do when tasked with 3C. If they falter, trade for a center. I also think that the Sheahan deal is done, just needs AA to sign. A Sheahan/Bluegar bottom 6 isn't Bonino/Cullen but with our wingers, it won't matter as much

Talisman

Nov 7, 2015
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuchene........duchene

M0NTY26

Force from Ma'gorsk
Feb 27, 2010

You're saying a bunch of nothing, with just as much substance. Saying he had options - what were they? Rather than just throw out all these bland statements, then expecting people to come in here and prove something to you, it would probably be a good start for you to list some of these options. Specifics, with numbers.

You don't sign a 3rd line center for 4 million dollars. Not only is that terrible management, but it's not possible under the current salary cap. So we would've had to move a contract out to sign Bones. Creating holes to fill holes is, again, poor management.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad