Salary Cap: Salary Cap + Roster Building | Cap Details + Links in First Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Schultz has the 5th highest cap hit on the Pens. I like what he brings to the team, but if another team is willing to over pay for him I'd move him for those assets. This would be in the offseason -- definitely keep him this season.

And then what? Riikola isn't ready for that role and no one we'd want (Myers, Strallman or Karlsson) will be guys that we can afford. Which mean's we'd be chasing guys with question marks or who wouldn't be ideal fits. I mean sure Rutta is someone I like who probably will be rather affordable. But I like him as a JJ replacement, not a JS replacement. Schultz's contract might not be ideal, but I think this is a case of the grass isn't greener elsewhere.

Dumoulin - Letang
Maatta - XXXXX
Pettersson - Johnson

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
And then what? Riikola isn't ready for that role and no one we'd want (Myers, Strallman or Karlsson) will be guys that we can afford. Which mean's we'd be chasing guys with question marks or who wouldn't be ideal fits. I mean sure Rutta is someone I like who probably will be rather affordable. But I like him as a JJ replacement, not a JS replacement. Schultz's contract might not be ideal, but I think this is a case of the grass isn't greener elsewhere.

Dumoulin - Letang
Maatta - XXXXX
Pettersson - Johnson

The grass certainly isn't greener, but the Pens do need cap room. And I'm assuming Pettersson and Riikola improve.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
We've got a fair amount of cap tied up in the wings where we're a lot deeper. I think Petterson and Riikola would have to improve pretty dramatically to make moving Schultz the obvious option.

That's certainly true. I don't know what the "over payment" would have to be for me to trade him but it'd have to include a young puck mover.

Alternatively, @KIRK suggested Pearson for Ferland. I'm assuming Ferland would only be a rental here. The Pens get Ferland and cap space for next season while the Canes get a cheap top 9 winger.

Reactions: KIRK

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Pearson for Ferland would be a really interesting suggestion, but I doubt Carolina would spring for it. It solves their cap problems for next year and it gives them a more unique player than Pearson for this year, so it is an interesting suggestion. I'd probably rather just keep Pearson and then trade him for a 2nd at the draft, though. Or maybe see what kind of defenseman you can get for Pearson and Maatta.

Reactions: Tom Hanks

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
That's certainly true. I don't know what the "over payment" would have to be for me to trade him but it'd have to include a young puck mover.

I think the standard of PMD I'd be thinking would be a very serious overpayment.

Alternatively, @KIRK suggested Pearson for Ferland. I'm assuming Ferland would only be a rental here. The Pens get Ferland and cap space for next season while the Canes get a cheap top 9 winger.

I'm not against it, but its not firing my imagination.

More serious considerations are that if the Canes wants futures that gets you nowhere and that Rutherford seems to be in general asset management mode when it comes to this sort of thing.

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
With the upgrades we just got and Blueger looking like a stud, I think we're done on the forward market until next summer.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
I think the standard of PMD I'd be thinking would be a very serious overpayment.

I'm not against it, but its not firing my imagination.

More serious considerations are that if the Canes wants futures that gets you nowhere and that Rutherford seems to be in general asset management mode when it comes to this sort of thing.

With their defense I don't think they're that far off from reaching playoffs a few seasons in a row. I think they'd prefer a younger NHLer as opposed to picks and prospects that may take some years to age appropriately.

But I don't follow the Canes.

And I don't think the Pens couple beat other offers so whatever.

Last edited:

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Pearson for Ferland would be a really interesting suggestion, but I doubt Carolina would spring for it. It solves their cap problems for next year and it gives them a more unique player than Pearson for this year, so it is an interesting suggestion. I'd probably rather just keep Pearson and then trade him for a 2nd at the draft, though. Or maybe see what kind of defenseman you can get for Pearson and Maatta.

You'd have to add. Like Pearson and Jarry for Ferland.

OR, you move out Pearson and bring in Dzingel using a 3rd team.

Think about this . . .

Jake-Sid-Simon/Horny
Dzingel/Ferland-Geno-Rust
McCann-Bjugs-Phil
Blueger-Cullen-Horny/Simon

I actually really like that. Great balance. Each line, including afterthought Geno, makes sense.

Reactions: Ryder71

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Add size, some skill and some versatility at Center in case Bjugstad plays better at wing or Malkin is out for a while.

But if Bjugstad plays better at wing, they'll just play McCann at center, who has also looked good tonight. I just don't see a point in acquiring Coyle, he's a very similar player to Bjugstad.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
You'd have to add. Like Pearson and Jarry for Ferland.

OR, you move out Pearson and bring in Dzingel using a 3rd team.

Think about this . . .

Jake-Sid-Simon/Horny
Dzingel/Ferland-Geno-Rust
McCann-Bjugs-Phil
Blueger-Cullen-Horny/Simon

I actually really like that. Great balance. Each line, including afterthought Geno, makes sense.

Dzingel makes it more interesting.

Way I see it, there's no point moving for another winger unless its going to be Geno's dreamboat. We've got too much talent there to need random pieces. Dzingel I think could be great for Geno. Ferland I'm less convinced about although I can see it, particularly if its Rust on the right. Dzingel makes more sense if we think Geno's likely to get Horny. Silfverberg might be an interesting name.

Reactions: KIRK

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
I definitely prefer Ferland to Pearson just because he plays with more aggression and is faster. I’d trade Pearson/Jarry for him easy.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Pearson for Skinner? That NMC and Botts could work in our favor.

They want to sign him and still are going for a playoff spot. He also wants to be close to home unless that’s changed

3ladesof5teel

Feb 20, 2012
I definitely prefer Ferland to Pearson just because he plays with more aggression and is faster. I’d trade Pearson/Jarry for him easy.

Pearson for Skinner? That NMC and Botts could work in our favor.

These all sound great but highly unlikely. Ferland is going to be a coveted player this TDL and will probably bring in more. That being said Canes are playing pretty well and will wait to see how things shake out before trading to someone in conference.

As for Skinner- Pipe dream at this point.

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
Our breakout still sucks ass when the 1st pair isnt on the ice. Schultz coming back will help but i dont know if thats enough. The D will have the puck behind the net but cant get it out. This especially seems to be the case with the 3rd pair recently. JJ's only strategy is throwing the puck along the boards which has never worked. A breakout opportunity turns into a chance for the other team. I really like our forward group but the D is gonna hold it back. Hopefully its on JR's list. They were quick to realize Hunwick is trash so fingers crossed.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Who knows? All I know is that the more I know about his game the more I want him.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Would you bring in Kunitz if it meant he filled Johnson’s role as Sid’s bff, which then gave you the go ahead to move Johnson? Just playing with moral questions here.

It sucks how there’s a clear weak link left on the team, who makes a decent amount, and it’s just not realistic to move him, even though if his name was Jack Hunwick JR would have dealt him yesterday.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
If Ferland doesn't work out, what about Rust for Coyle?

I don't want to move Rust unless we absolutely have to AND we have someone who's able to replace him. I don't think Coyle is that guy. Something around Pearson for Coyle, sure. However that doesn't solve our cap issues for next season, nor does it really do all that much for us in general - but then I don't see a big difference between the two players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig