Salary Cap: Salary Cap + Roster Building | Cap Details + Links in First Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Revisit in 20 games, but I'm guessing McCann as the centre is at least just as likely. Also Simon, while a LH winger, is by far and away best deployed as a RW with Crosby.

If you did that (as in trade Pearson for cap space), I think you'd probably see:

Guentzel-Crosby-Simon
Rust-Malkin-Kessel
McCann-Bjugstad-Hornqvist
ZAR-Blueger-Free agency/WBS forward

Are you okay with this lineup? You have a LH-LH wing duo on the 1st line, a RH-RH wing duo on the 2nd line and a LH-RH wing duo on the 3rd line. That's what I think they should do, with using the 3rd line as a shutdown grinding line. If Bjugstad doesn't work at center, they should just flip him and McCann and make McCann the 3C.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
If you did that (as in trade Pearson for cap space), I think you'd probably see:

Guentzel-Crosby-Simon
Rust-Malkin-Kessel
McCann-Bjugstad-Hornqvist
ZAR-Blueger-Free agency/WBS forward

Are you okay with this lineup? You have a LH-LH wing duo on the 1st line, a RH-RH wing duo on the 2nd line and a LH-RH wing duo on the 3rd line. That's what I think they should do, with using the 3rd line as a shutdown grinding line. If Bjugstad doesn't work at center, they should just flip him and McCann and make McCann the 3C.

I'm skeptical about the long term suitability of Rust on the left, of Bjugstad as a C, of Kessel with Geno... but there's options there.

And looking at the depth there... someone's getting run out of town.

Reactions: Riptide

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range
I think 4C belongs to Cullen and they will try and see if one of the new guys can play with Geno. Buj is a RHS, so 3C is probably his to start with McCann on LW.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
The assumption that Bjugstad will be the C and not McCann, leaving us very lopsided in RH wings to LH even before moving Pearson, may prove quite unfounded going by Rutherford's quotes.

Huh? Rutherford was pretty direct that they saw him as a center.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I'm still dreaming of a Maatta-Montour swap. I'd like to move on from JJ, too, but I don't think it's going to happen this season. If we shed them both, we'd have a pretty nice D group.
Dumo-Letang
Riikola/Pettersson - Montour
Riikola/Pettersson - Schultz

Jack Johnson will still be here when your kids retire you to a home for senile older people. :razz:

EDIT: But, look on the bright side, at least you'll still be alive. One day, I'll die . . . and Jack Johnson will still be here. :cry:

Reactions: DegenX

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Huh? Rutherford was pretty direct that they saw him as a center.

I thought he said he'd start at centre until Geno was fit again but would find his way to wing pretty quick after that.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I thought he said he'd start at centre until Geno was fit again but would find his way to wing pretty quick after that.

I think he said he'd start at center and then implied we'd see what happens after Geno is back, but there was no definitive suggestion one way or the other that I saw.

On his 31 thoughts podcast, Friedman said the Pens have been looking to move Maatta for a while... I think JR wants an upgrade but isnt looking to just get rid of him.

Well, JR still has all of his assets to do it.

Reactions: Lustaf and Peat

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
On his 31 thoughts podcast, Friedman said the Pens have been looking to move Maatta for a while... I think JR wants an upgrade but isnt looking to just get rid of him.
And that's the proper approach to take. If his price is met move Maatta, if not hold on to him I guess. But I don't have any doubt there's a market for the guy despite how bad his skating is.

Reactions: Empoleon8771

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

Exactly what he should be doing. If you can get an upgrade on Maatta with adding Jarry, you definitely go for it.

Just thinking out loud, I wonder if you could get Faulk for Maatta and Jarry (almost definitely not, but worth a thought). You really hurt your defense down the road, but this defense looks awesome to me:

Dumoulin-Letang
Pettersson-Faulk
Johnson-Schultz

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
Well, JR still has all of his assets to do it.

Who's even out there that he could target? The market is extremely forward heavy. Green, Faulk, Pietrangelo? Those are the only names I can think of and they all play RD.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Guentzel-Crosby-Hornqvist
Rust-Malkin-Bjugstad
Pearson-McCann-Kessel
Aston-Reese-Cullen-Simon
Bleuger

Dumoulin-Letang
An upgrade on Maatta-Schultz
Pettersson-Johnson
Riikola

That might be pretty, pretty, pretty good. That 2nd line could be an absolute hell to play against if Geno is Geno and Bjugstad gets that big man confidence.

Reactions: KIRK

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Who's even out there that he could target? The market is extremely forward heavy. Green, Faulk, Pietrangelo? Those are the only names I can think of and they all play RD.

Why RD?

I'd prefer LD.

Imagine Dumo-Letang and LD-Schultz. You could ride the hell out of that top 4 and barely play your 3rd pairing (and then do so where you can insulate them).

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
Why RD?

I'd prefer LD.

Imagine Dumo-Letang and LD-Schultz. You could ride the hell out of that top 4 and barely play your 3rd pairing (and then do so where you can insulate them).

I was trying to ask what LD options are even out there? The main D mentioned are RD which we dont need.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Guentzel-Crosby-Hornqvist
Rust-Malkin-Bjugstad
Pearson-McCann-Kessel
Aston-Reese-Cullen-Simon
Bleuger

Dumoulin-Letang
An upgrade on Maatta-Schultz
Pettersson-Johnson
Riikola

That might be pretty, pretty, pretty good. That 2nd line could be an absolute hell to play against if Geno is Geno and Bjugstad gets that big man confidence.
I'd rather Bjugstad play center, I think he's more effective there. At least give the guy a good look.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
I think if Rutherford moves Maatta, there's a good chance its for someone people didn't really realise was available.

Probably. I mean everyone knew that Brassard and Sheahan were available. How many thought that Bjugstad and McCann were available - especially for a pretty affordable cost?

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Probably. I mean everyone knew that Brassard and Sheahan were available. How many thought that Bjugstad and McCann were available - especially for a pretty affordable cost?

Yup.

Also... I guess everyone knew that Sheahan was available if it came to it, but there were never any trade rumours about him. His inclusion surprised me a little.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
Schultz has the 5th highest cap hit on the Pens. I like what he brings to the team, but if another team is willing to over pay for him I'd move him for those assets. This would be in the offseason -- definitely keep him this season.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Yup.

Also... I guess everyone knew that Sheahan was available if it came to it, but there were never any trade rumours about him. His inclusion surprised me a little.

Yep. Even as one of his bigger fans, even I knew there wasn't a chance in hell he wasn't available if we were bringing back a center and needed cap space.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig