Salary Cap: Salary Cap & Roster Building | Cap Details + Links in First Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harvey Birdman

…Need some law books, with pictures this time…
Oct 21, 2008
Penguins Legal Office
No way the Pens do that. Sprong can’t be set down and they are not going to just sit a player and ruin is development after scoring 32 goals as a 20 year old in his rookie AHL season. Sprong is in the lineup or in a trade before the season.

I will say this, the team is loaded with fights at every position. Those forward battles will be interesting to watch.
It is early in the morning, brain farted on Sprong... So...

Guentzel - Crosby - Hornqvist
Brassard - Malkin - Kessel
Rust - Sheahan - Sprong
Hagelin - Cullen/Grant - Grant/Cullen
13th Simon

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
No way the Pens do that. Sprong can’t be set down and they are not going to just sit a player and ruin is development after scoring 32 goals as a 20 year old in his rookie AHL season. Sprong is in the lineup or in a trade before the season.

I will say this, the team is loaded with fights at every position. Those forward battles will be interesting to watch.

I love when your posts are succinct. Please continue in this way, and I'll continue to read them.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I'd rather have Kessel.

Skinner...younger, better at ES...the issue however with trading Phil is that it’s easier said than done, especially when teams know you have to trade him because of the cap implications...we’ll be getting pennies on the $ back...likely a couple of mediocre young prospects but maybe that’s enough....

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Skinner's 5 years younger than Kessel and has outscored him at ES over the last 3 years...on Carolina, with nothing close to the centers we have here.

Now think about our other 1st PP options if Kessel left. We have Guentzel, Skinner, and Sprong.

Our PP wouldn’t be as good without Kessel. He’s pretty much the QB but we were number 1 so even a slight drop and we’d still be lethal.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Our PP wouldn’t be as good without Kessel. He’s pretty much the QB but we were number 1 so even a slight drop and we’d still be lethal.

I don’t think you have to worry about a PP with Crosby, Malkin, Hornqvist and Letang or Schultz producing regardless of the 5th man.

Not to mention Skinner can actually one time a puck.

Reactions: Warm Cookies

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
After this year, Kessel has a three year term with 5.1 million per is actual salary. Yes the AAV is 6.8 with retention. But the actual cash outlay is very attractive for a contending team.

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
Skinner's 5 years younger than Kessel and has outscored him at ES over the last 3 years...on Carolina, with nothing close to the centers we have here.

Now think about our other 1st PP options if Kessel left. We have Guentzel, Skinner, and Sprong.

Only Sprong is a righty though, a lefty can't effectively play Kessel's spot on the PP. But if Kessel is gone, the whole PP needs a rework, and with Schultz potentially gone the following offseason, the problem compounds.

But yeah, if we get Skinner, I'd think Kessel would have to be gone next summer, a trade we'd end up losing in terms of immediate NHL assets and would mostly just create cap space and give us trade fodder futures. And then we'd need to extend Schultz to ensure we at least had a capable RHD for the PP moving forward.

A lot rides on Sprong.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Can and would are two different things, and I am never willing to make that assumption.

He allegedly was ok going to Arizona. One of the TSN (I think) guys said he’d be open to a move too. Obviously it has to work for him but I can see it.

Harvey Birdman

…Need some law books, with pictures this time…
Oct 21, 2008
Penguins Legal Office
He allegedly was ok going to Arizona. One of the TSN (I think) guys said he’d be open to a move too. Obviously it has to work for him but I can see it.
If he is fine with going to Arizona to be back under Tocchet then I would imagine he would make the Coyotes one of his 8 teams.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
At the very least I’d drive the price up on Patches and Skinner just to f*** over Chicago.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Only Sprong is a righty though, a lefty can't effectively play Kessel's spot on the PP. But if Kessel is gone, the whole PP needs a rework, and with Schultz potentially gone the following offseason, the problem compounds.

But yeah, if we get Skinner, I'd think Kessel would have to be gone next summer, a trade we'd end up losing in terms of immediate NHL assets and would mostly just create cap space and give us trade fodder futures. And then we'd need to extend Schultz to ensure we at least had a capable RHD for the PP moving forward.

A lot rides on Sprong.

An LH shot can, he just isn't ideal because you don't have that shooting angle. Neal was very productive in that role, and I'd assume Guentzel or Skinner could be if given the opportunity. Sprong would be the natural fit there though.

We ought to be re-signing Schultz regardless of what happens with the rest of the roster.

Ultimately, my Skinner/Kessel calculation is that we'd be giving up a fair bit less for an impending UFA Skinner than we'd be getting back for a signed Kessel, and getting younger and better at ES in the process.

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
An LH shot can, he just isn't ideal because you don't have that shooting angle. Neal was very productive in that role, and I'd assume Guentzel or Skinner could be if given the opportunity. Sprong would be the natural fit there though.

We ought to be re-signing Schultz regardless of what happens with the rest of the roster.

Ultimately, my Skinner/Kessel calculation is that we'd be giving up a fair bit less for an impending UFA Skinner than we'd be getting back for a signed Kessel, and getting younger and better at ES in the process.

I don't think JR is offering the world for Skinner, I can assume our 1st next year and a middling prospect is probably about it. And I don't think he should be offering more, Skinner can control where he goes like Iginla did. I just hope it's not a trade deadline deal, players never seem to have a chance to get acclimated.

And I agree about Schultz. They really should do an extension next summer.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I don't think JR is offering the world for Skinner, I can assume our 1st next year and a middling prospect is probably about it. And I don't think he should be offering more, Skinner can control where he goes like Iginla did. I just hope it's not a trade deadline deal, players never seem to have a chance to get acclimated.

And I agree about Schultz. They really should do an extension next summer.

Yeah, I don't think we're offering the world for Skinner either. But we have to send some salary back so I assume one of Brassard or Hags would be involved, plus a 1st and a middling prospect, like you say.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

Unless we move Letang, don’t see how we are resigning Schultz unless he has some bad years.

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
Yeah, I don't think we're offering the world for Skinner either. But we have to send some salary back so I assume one of Brassard or Hags would be involved, plus a 1st and a middling prospect, like you say.

Yeah that's true about the salary, I'd just hate to send Brass plus the 1st. We've got a lot wrapped up in Brass, and he's a pretty darn good player. An even-up swap with Brass who is then extended by Carolina makes sense. I doubt Brass would be willing to sign something now, but who knows.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad