Salary Cap: Salary Cap & Roster Building | Cap Details + Links in First Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Yeah that's true about the salary, I'd just hate to send Brass plus the 1st. We've got a lot wrapped up in Brass, and he's a pretty darn good player. An even-up swap with Brass who is then extended by Carolina makes sense. I doubt Brass would be willing to sign something now, but who knows.

I mean, it would suck to lose Brassard, but in terms of future value acquiring Skinner is great if we resign him.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Yeah that's true about the salary, I'd just hate to send Brass plus the 1st. We've got a lot wrapped up in Brass, and he's a pretty darn good player. An even-up swap with Brass who is then extended by Carolina makes sense. I doubt Brass would be willing to sign something now, but who knows.

Full disclosure: I wouldn't trade Brass if the Pens committed to keeping him at 3C this year.

I'd only move him if they insist on entertaining the dumb LW idea.

I also think you’ll have to convince Carolina to trade Skinner in division

True, but with Skinner holding the cards in terms of a re-sign (guaranteeing a bigger yield for the Canes), their options may be limited. We'll see.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
I don’t think you have to worry about a PP with Crosby, Malkin, Hornqvist and Letang or Schultz producing regardless of the 5th man.

Not to mention Skinner can actually one time a puck.

Prepare to be disappointed. Skinner maybe scores 1 or 2 goals off the one-timer per season, but he's generally very Kessel-like is corralling the puck and then firing.

In general, he's not very effective on the PP; he's been on the 2nd unit in Carolina for a reason. Goalies can adjust to his wrist shot from distance and he has a habit of trying to force passes through the box at the right half-wall spot. I think he would be more effective playing a Crosby type role; Skinner scores more goals by between the dots and around the net than you would expect from a player of his size.

Skinner's value comes from being able to produce with 2nd/3rd line-type linemates as the primary offensive option on his line at EV. If traded to Pittsburgh, I wouldn't be surprised if he ended up in his peak value spot on the 3rd line in a hurry. I'm not sure his puck dominant style, without the playmaking acumen to match, would mesh with Crosby or Malkin effectively.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Unless we move Letang, don’t see how we are resigning Schultz unless he has some bad years.

I wouldn’t try to predict the roster two years out and the cap should have a nice Seattle boost coming. I’d wait and see if people even want Schultz re-signed by the end of that contract because shit happens.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Prepare to be disappointed. Skinner maybe scores 1 or 2 goals off the one-timer per season, but he's generally very Kessel-like is corralling the puck and then firing.

In general, he's not very effective on the PP; he's been on the 2nd unit in Carolina for a reason. Goalies can adjust to his wrist shot from distance and he has a habit of trying to force passes through the box at the right half-wall spot. I think he would be more effective playing a Crosby type role; Skinner scores more goals by between the dots and around the net than you would expect from a player of his size.

Skinner's value comes from being able to produce with 2nd/3rd line-type linemates as the primary offensive option on his line at EV. If traded to Pittsburgh, I wouldn't be surprised if he ended up in his peak value spot on the 3rd line in a hurry. I'm not sure his puck dominant style, without the playmaking acumen to match, would mesh with Crosby or Malkin effectively.

Yea, don’t like that. Can we have Jordan back?

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Please stop forgetting about Aston-Reese. Thank you.

He’s going to have to play pretty good to get a shot with the big club. Waiver eligibility means he’ll start in WBS and JR likely won’t want 14 forwards at this stage.

Right now we have 1.02 mil in capspace with 14F, 7D but let’s assume Hayes is in WBS so that’s 1.67 mil with 13F, 7D. That space (without any call ups or LTIR) comes to just over 5 mil at the deadline.

Reactions: SHOOTANDSCORE

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
It seems like your reboot expectations got in the way of enjoying something truly special.

Twin Peaks: The Return is the most compelling thing I've ever seen on TV.

Really!!?? I mean how many episodes does it take to watch Dougie having a good long stare at the wall before it just gets old? Don't get me wrong it had excellent moments, but there was just way too much empty time to fill with such a high number of episodes that showtime ordered. It could have been done in under 10 episodes.

I love me some D Lynch don't get me wrong. I was just soured at some point especially when it didn't even take place in twin peaks for the vast majority of the show. Lot of erroneous moments and lot of excellent tv. It had its moments for both of these.

What was your favorite part of the reboot if I may be so inclined to ask? I'm super curious I don't know why, but I must know!

Reactions: billybudd

TimmyD

Nov 11, 2013
Greensburg, PA
What about a 3 way trade between Pens-Canes-Wild..... Pens get Skinner, Wild get Kessel and Canes get Coyle or Zucker and Jarry

Jake Sid Sprong
Hagelin Malkin Rust
Skinner Brassard Hornqvist
Grant Sheahan Cullen

PensPlz

Dec 23, 2009
Pittsburgh
Hags or Rust on your 4th lines is a complete waste of their abilities.

4th line shouldn't exceed 3 million cap hit anyways.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Because we get younger and trade from a position of strength to shore up a weakness and this allows us to keep our tremendous center depth in tact as well. Also Skinner is a better even strength scorer than Phil

Barely

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
What about a 3 way trade between Pens-Canes-Wild..... Pens get Skinner, Wild get Kessel and Canes get Coyle or Zucker and Jarry

Jake Sid Sprong
Hagelin Malkin Rust
Skinner Brassard Hornqvist
Grant Sheahan Cullen

If we acquire Skinner for Kessel +, that is just bad asset management. In a vaccuum Kessel is the better player.

TimmyD

Nov 11, 2013
Greensburg, PA
If we acquire Skinner for Kessel +, that is just bad asset management. In a vaccuum Kessel is the better player.

I was going off the thought that DK mentioned covering for Madden today. He mentioned that the Pens are pretty tight to the cap now and that JR really doesn’t like not having a cushion so I figured Kessel would be the guy gone. I don’t see Hagelin + Jarry netting us Skinner so that is why I used Phil. I’m also under the assumption that Phil is gone next offseason

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017
I was going off the thought that DK mentioned covering for Madden today. He mentioned that the Pens are pretty tight to the cap now and that JR really doesn’t like not having a cushion so I figured Kessel would be the guy gone. I don’t see Hagelin + Jarry netting us Skinner so that is why I used Phil. I’m also under the assumption that Phil is gone next offseason

1.67 million is a pretty good cushion.

Reactions: Shady Machine

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
A Kessel trade is going to happen next offseason, not this offseason. I don't see the Penguins making any other moves at this point, their roster is pretty close to as flawless a roster can be in the cap era.

JR obviously doesn’t think so.

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017
DK made it sound like they didn’t have that much space left. I agree $1.67 million is a nice cushion so nevermind then hahahahaha

It’s 1.02 mil but we have 14 forwards one of which is Hayes so if he goes down it’s 1.67 mil. Maybe he wants to carry 8 D (currently 7) though but he doesn’t need to yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad