Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
with the very good signing of Grant. I'm thinking a lineup of this

Geuntz-Sid-Hornqvist
Hags-Malkin-Sprong
Brassard-Sheahan-Kessel
Cullen-Grant-Rust
Simon

I'd rest Cullen a lot. use him in the playoffs.

so Id actually play Simon in Cullens spot most regular seasoit but, come playoff, all Cullen.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Why do people keep saying Skinner is better than Kessel at even strength? Unless I am looking at something wrong, they've been almost identical since Kessel has been in Pittsburgh, but Phil is the better PP player, a proven playoff performer, and under a very good cap hit for many more years. We don't really know any of that about Skinner. He doesn't have as good of centers as Kessel, but people said the same thing about Kessel going from Toronto to Pittsburgh. But it didn't really change for Phil. I think, at best, it would be a lateral move to get Skinner at the expense of Kessel.

T1K

Jul 23, 2013
Pittsburgh
I understand the rationale of keeping Brassard for center depth, but playing him as a LW makes absolutely no sense to me. If we are playing him as a LW then we should trade him for an actual LW. I’d think Skinner for Brassard would be pretty close, but I’d definitely add if needed.

I think Brassard should start the year as a C.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
I understand the rationale of keeping Brassard for center depth, but playing him as a LW makes absolutely no sense to me. If we are playing him as a LW then we should trade him for an actual LW. I’d think Skinner for Brassard would be pretty close, but I’d definitely add if needed.

I think Brassard should start the year as a C.

The thinking from that though is he can always go back to centre which he’d be our best 3C. If he’s gone we don’t have the option.

EDIT: That’s if he even starts at LW which we don’t know

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
It’s 1.02 mil but we have 14 forwards one of which is Hayes so if he goes down it’s 1.67 mil. Maybe he wants to carry 8 D (currently 7) though but he doesn’t need to yet.
I could see JR going with 8 if Elliott has a really good preseason and they're worried about him clearing waivers.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
I like Sheahan, but I see a precipitous drop from Malkin to Sheahan. Obviously Brassard isn't Geno's caliber either, but he's an accomplished pivot who up until last season accorded himself rather nicely (and especially in the playoffs). In that case the drop off would be more gradual and everyone could slot in nicely. We arguably could have the best center at 1st. 2hd, 3rd and 4th line center. I'd like to at least see it in the early part of next season before more tinkering occurs.

One of the issues, and we saw this as soon as Brassard arrived, is that there simply isn't enough ice time for both of them. Sheahan and Brassard both need more than 13-14 minutes a game... and that isn't going to happen if both are playing center. Unfortunately for Brassard he's a better winger then Sheahan is.

Reactions: SHOOTANDSCORE

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
One of the issues, and we saw this as soon as Brassard arrived, is that there simply isn't enough ice time for both of them. Sheahan and Brassard both need more than 13-14 minutes a game... and that isn't going to happen if both are playing center. Unfortunately for Brassard he's a better winger then Sheahan is.
And if they move Brassard to wing (at times) I can understand that. But I don't want us to be undermanned or lose any quality depth at center. Chances are good that both Sid and Geno won't play every game. And injuries as you know seem to find this team at inopportune times. So I'd rather have that added depth and ability to play Brassard at times on wing than trade him for a player who can only play wing and can't be a pivot.

With his low cap hit and with the line up flexibility we garner in having Brassard, I don't see too many scenario's where by if we traded him we'd come out ahead. To be clear if Sheahan mans 3c to start the season, so be it. But if he struggles, or if Brassard and Kessel can gel on the third line, I certainly would like to have that as an option.

Last edited:

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
And if they move Brassard to wing (at times) I can understand that. But I don't want us to be undermanned or lose any quality depth at center. Chances are good that both Sid and Geno won't play every game. And injuries as you know seem to find this team at inopportune times. So I'd rather have that added depth and ability to play Brassard at times on wing than trade him for a player who can only play wing and can't be a pivot.

With his low cap hit and with the line up flexibility we garner in having Brassard, I don't see too many scenario's where by if we traded him we'd come out ahead.

I personally think shipping out Brassard would be a huge mistake. He hasn't done anything close to what Kessel did with the Penguins, but I still think losing Brassard would be a colossal blunder. This years roster is stacked and that is a damn good thing so why in the world would anyone want to change that?

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017

Brassard still scored at a 47 point pace (8 points in 14 games).

Sheahan scored at a 23 point pace (4 in 14) but he’d have better wingers to play with. So I could see him at a 30 point pace as a 4C which is excellent.

I see that as an advantage more than an issue.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
I personally think shipping out Brassard would be a huge mistake. He hasn't done anything close to what Kessel did with the Penguins, but I still think losing Brassard would be a colossal blunder. This years roster is stacked and that is a damn good thing so why in the world would anyone want to change that?
I could not agree more! Keeping Brassard when you factor in his low cap hit, our big advantage and depth at center, and the fact that we gave up a boat load of assets in acquiring him, should be more than enough reasons in wanting to keep him.

Reactions: shoplifter

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Brassard still scored at a 47 point pace (8 points in 14 games).

Sheahan scored at a 23 point pace (4 in 14) but he’d have better wingers to play with. So I could see him at a 30 point pace as a 4C which is excellent.

I see that as an advantage more than an issue.
I see it similarly. I just hope JR is willing to see how the early part of the season plays out before pulling the trigger. I'm ok if he tinkers at that point, provided he doesn't fool around with Brassard or weakens our center core in the process.

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
I could not agree more! Keeping Brassard when you factor in his low cap hit, our big advantage and depth at center, and the fact that we gave up a boat load of assets in acquiring him, should be more than enough reasons in wanting to keep him.
Yup. Sully always talks about having a competitive advantage. Having Brass is a competitive advantage.

Find ways to get him and Sheahan extra minutes during the regular season, but come playoff time our center depth is a huge potential advantage and great injury insurance.

Your Boy Troy

Sep 19, 2013
Brampton, Ontario
Jeff Skinner would just be another example of Rutherford’s knee jerk reactions (for better or for worse). They already have a large cohesion of smaller skilled players; focus on adding a different dynamic or improving the backend.

Better yet, just don’t do anything at all since the roster is fine as it is.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010

Sheahan needs more than 13 minutes/game?

I have no problem playing him ten. If he can’t produce at a 4th line rate in that ice time, then move Cullen to center and watch him do the job.

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017
Jeff Skinner would just be another example of Rutherford’s knee jerk reactions (for better or for worse). They already have a large cohesion of smaller skilled players; focus on adding a different dynamic or improving the backend.

Better yet, just don’t do anything at all since the roster is fine as it is.

Skinner isn’t small. He’s the same height/weight as Crosby.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Guentzel-Crosby-Hornqvist
Rust-Malkin-Kessel
Hagelin-Brassard-Sprong
Cullen-Sheahan-Simon
Grant

I also like this to start.
If you want Brass's line to have the ability to play vs any line, having Hags or Rust on his wing permanently is a good strat.
Can also change things up in defensive situations and simply throw out Horny on Brass's or Sheahan's RW and Sprong or Simon gets a shift with Sid.
Lots of options up front and this is one of my fave ones if you want Brass @ C.

Last edited:

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I assume Grant PKs, right? If so I could see that giving him an advantage over Simon.

davemess

Apr 9, 2003
Scotland
To me the only valid reason you would have to move Brassard to LW is if you feel having Sheahan with Phil on the 3rd line works best for Phil.

Any setup where you have Phil & Brass in the top 6 feels like we are over stacking the top 2 lines and downgrades the 3rd line from being a matchup advantage for us to being negative.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Sully doesn’t like Rust on LW and Kessel with Geno though. I suppose so long as Kessel is on the team though he might try to keep him happy.

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017
If Sid didn’t have Sid strength, he’d be small.

I’d say they are around the average but I get the premise though. Phil isn’t small but he’s that skilled scorer who isn’t very physical and is average defensively.

We don’t want too many players of the same type although right now I think our skill set is pretty balanced but skewed a little in where some of them can play in the line up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad