Salary Cap: Salary Cap & Roster Building | Cap Details + Links in First Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
I think the Caps were in the right place at the right time. Can't see them repeating. Pens with time off and batteries now charged certainly with a better schedule will be a tough out. GMJR will address any lingering issues at the TDL. But I think this is the last year of fine tuning to some degree.

Reactions: Ugene Malkin

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Caps should have won in 17. And gave us a tough series in 16.

They kept way more of their roster than I thought they would.

They could easily repeat. Caps and Pens are two best teams in the league until another team beats one of us.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
2017 was the Caps year. I thought they outplayed the Pens most of the series, but Pens were opportunistic and Fleury had a great series. 2018 was a weird one but I guess it was their time.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
You mean cheapshot to give themselves a chance? Without those the series is over in 5 maybe 6.

They beat us legit in 18 when Wilson had been taken care of though, but he had to cheapshot his way to a suspension record for Caps to do it, but Pens did not have the depth to get it done plus all the hockey over the years that takes a toll on you, but that's hockey. You win or you lose, nobody cares about the excuses because that's all they are. We just did not have the energy or drive to go all the way, next season with all our rest I think we do it again, but don't think we will win back to back but we will get our dynasty label for winning 3 in 4 years.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I mean, they likely would be a # 3 here for many years.

Sure, but a #3 doesn't extend the window. They need to become a #1 for that and the impression I get is there may not be a true 1C coming out of that draft.

CanadianPensFan1

Jun 13, 2014
Canada
Disagree. Maybe Svechnikov really boosts them but their forward group is still lacking IMHO.

giphy.gif

It would. I'd love to have Gallagher here but not at the expense of Hornqvist.

Their names both start with G.

Re: Kessel and Karlsson. Given this HockeyBuzz.com - Eklund - Rumor: Karlsson to Pitt, Kessel Heading to Vegas (e3) Chart Fully Updated.

Then this: HockeyBuzz.com - Eklund - Brady Tkachuk Leaning Towards Not Signing in Ottawa.

Karlsson to Vegas for stuff.

Karlsson to Pittsburgh for Kessel.

Letang to Ottawa for Brady Tkachuk.

:naughty:

Not that I believe this or think it would happen, but if GMJR were to pull that off ... he gets a statue out fron next to Mario's.

Reactions: Goku

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
You mean the Capitals in 5? Because honestly Game 1 we should’ve lost and they spanked us every other game except 4.

Maybe if they ran around trying to play hockey than trying to hurt everyone maybe they would have. But I'm going to say no.

Game 4 they played without Crosby, game two they pretty much had control of the game, Game 5 Wilson tried to take off Guenzel's head, Dumoulin hit, literally the same crap every year.

I think you confuse trying to hurt people with hits as controlling the game(s).

The Pens played hockey and won in spite of them trying to decapitate guys.

The only difference here is the Pens didn't have the depth to hold them off this past year.

The Pens were the better team in 2016 and 2017, and a bit more of D-depth/health they would have been in 2018.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Maybe if they ran around trying to play hockey than trying to hurt everyone maybe they would have. But I'm going to say no.

Game 4 they played without Crosby, game two they pretty much had control of the game, Game 5 Wilson tried to take off Guenzel's head, Dumoulin hit, literally the same crap every year.

The only difference here is the Pens didn't have the depth to hold them off this past year.

The Pens were the better team in 2016 and 2017, and a bit more of D-depth/health they would have been in 2018.

I totally thought he was referencing 2018.

Disregard my comment. That being said, I don’t think 2017 was that bad for the cheapshots. The Sheary / Wilson hit was 2016 right?

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012

The problem I have had with the people saying we need a powerforward or to find a way or whatever is that...

The Pens could have done what the Caps did, but he league really likes to focus on the Pens and what they do, the moment they did, they'd start to suspend and fine the Pens players which is ironic because they wouldn't do it on a consistent basis to anyone else, including the Caps.

So what do you do?

Get a Goon? Nah, loud mouth Boston boy doesn't like that.
Play their game? Nah, we might not even be equipped to do that.
Try to play through it? Nah, they tried that, got head shot left and right and the league did nothing until it was already too late.

The problem has always been the league. Guys like Wilson and morons like him only exist because the league allows morons like that to exist.

Simple as that for me.

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006
The way the Caps obstructed through the neutral zone and along the walls brought me back to the mid-90's. I think that was more of a factor than the cheap-shots in helping them win.

There's always some sort of obstruction in the playoffs, but what they were allowed to get away with this post-season was flat-out ridiculous. It kind of felt like the league thought they owed the Caps a cup with the way they let them play. I don't believe that they'll be allowed to do that again on their way to another championship.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
The way the Caps obstructed through the neutral zone and along the walls brought me back to the mid-90's. I think that was more of a factor than the cheap-shots in helping them win.

There's always some sort of obstruction in the playoffs, but what they were allowed to get away with this post-season was flat-out ridiculous. It kind of felt like the league thought they owed the Caps a cup with the way they let them play. I don't believe that they'll be allowed to do that again on their way to another championship.

Penguins stick play in 2016 and 2017 was just as egregious.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA

Penguins stick play in 2016 and 2017 was just as egregious.

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
the 2018 Caps series was dull and frustrating to watch. It was trap Devils level dull IMO.

To their credit, they weren't winning trying to skate with the Pens, or probably Tampa Bay either, so they obstructed, hit, and mucked up the game, and just tried to win it on the power play. It's pretty boring to watch, so hopefully the league cleans it up.

Reactions: canadianguy77

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
the 2018 Caps series was dull and frustrating to watch. It was trap Devils level dull IMO.

I’m still pissed off that goal in game two didn’t count, when it comes to my mind at least. Such garbage.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Play their game? Nah, we might not even be equipped to do that.
Try to play through it? Nah, they tried that, got head shot left and right and the league did nothing until it was already too late.

Its worked 2 times out of 3 and if we could go back in time and remove the fitness/bad form issues plaguing 5 of our most important players that series, it would have probably gone 3 out of 3.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad