Salary Cap: Salary Cap & Roster Building | Cap Details + Links in First Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
Wilson spent most of the season (his fifth full one) next to Backstrom or Kuznetsov, and only got 14 goals. That's Kunitz-level production. There's a difference between being a serviceable player and being a 5mill dollar player. Wilson, antics aside, is the former.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
"When you get a player and you put him in a position to succeed, that's the most important thing"

Bingo, right on the money. Not sure I like Johnson-Oleksiak as a pair though, but I'd be curious to see how it would look.

All we needed was cliche thoughts from EJ for Jack Johnson to succeed here.

Funny how Columbus never thought of that.

Reactions: PensandCaps

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
I love Gallagher, but he is injury-prone and I wouldn't give a lot of assets to acquire him.

We already have a better version of Gallagher though, he is called Patrick and has blond hair.

Gallagher is a better Hornqvist.
And cheaper.

More skilled for sure but not as good around the net, But Gallagher is the much better player away from the blue paint, but he is pretty good too there and on the PP.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I don't think the Wilson contract is a good one, but it's worth mentioning that he did just have a breakout season of sorts at age 23, and most RFA contracts for players that young are as much about projection as they are about track record. If he can be a 45 point player who hits, fights, and PKs regularly, it'll be fine.

Sideline

May 23, 2004
I don't think the Wilson contract is a good one, but it's worth mentioning that he did just have a breakout season of sorts at age 23, and most RFA contracts for players that young are as much about projection as they are about track record. If he can be a 45 point player who hits, fights, and PKs regularly, it'll be fine.
Those are scary ifs for a $30MM contract. I don't expect it to be the worst deal in the league, but I will be shocked if it ends up looking good.

Reactions: Tom Hanks

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
All we needed was cliche thoughts from EJ for Jack Johnson to succeed here.

Funny how Columbus never thought of that.

Columbus didn't have a choice though where PIT can spread things out across 5 to 6 guys.
Jones, Werenski and Murray all needed sheltered minutes as learning on the job young D-Men in the NHL so the JJ's, Savard's were given the heavy lifting minutes and starts. It's a miscast for JJ but he had to do it and for me, that plus his money/family woes took alot out of him. I believe he has a lot of game left if put in a better position than he was in Columbus. Thats the angle i, EJ, JR/Sully and some here look at it.

Hey, it may not work out but i'll remain optimistic atm.

Last edited:

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
And cheaper.

More skilled for sure but not as good around the net, But Gallagher is the much better player away from the blue paint, but he is pretty good too there and on the PP.

187633b0-ac4e-0133-2899-0eef02b57059.gif

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Lol, did the Caps literally learn nothing from the Orpik contract before he was traded and bought out and then signed again?

Oh man...yikes.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Columbus didn't have a choice though where PIT can spread things out across 5 to 6 guys.
Jones, Werenski and Murray all needed sheltered minutes as learning on the job young D-Men in the NHL so the JJ's, Savard's were given the heavy lifting minutes and starts. It's a miscast for JJ but he had to do it and for me, that plus his money/family woes took alot out of him. I believe he has a lot of game left if put in a better position than he was in Columbus. Thats the angle i, EJ, JR/Sully and some here look at it.

Hey, it may not work out but i'll remain optimistic atm.

I’m not sure any of the above is true. They pretty much threw Jones to the wolves.

My point is, if Johnson excels in a bottom pairing situation, why was Carlson or Nuv-whatever not riding the pine?

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
My point is, if Johnson excels in a bottom pairing situation, why was Carlson or Nuv-whatever not riding the pine?

Why was Cole spending a significant amount of time eating nacho's watching the games from the PB?
Why were Kuhnhackl and Rowney getting games over Sprong (even after we had injuries)? The same could be said for Simon.

While I think you make a fair point... different players get minutes / games over other players for a multitude of reasons. Columbus had a deep blueline and JJ was having a rough season. I'd put a lot more faith in more then just how things went for him last year.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
I’m not sure any of the above is true. They pretty much threw Jones to the wolves.

Oh it's very true. Look at the stats and QoC. JJ was BURIED there cuz he had no choice/Cole only came along at the deadline(a fresh Cole mind you. So it was a fresh Cole/a playing well Nuutivara vs a beatin' down JJ). Jones got cupcake minutes compared to JJ.

On the second part, you are missing the point(s) that being buried as much as JJ was in Columbus, it can drain you/make you suck hard if it's not a good role for you(newsflash JJ isn't Ryan Suter and even he doesn't get as buried as JJ was under Torts) and on top of that dealing with your family bankrupting you.

If Carlsson/Nutivaara were used like JJ was the last 3 seasons, one or both are probably eating nachos to start last seasons PO's.

On the flip if JJ got Carlsson/Nutivaara usage the last 3 seasons, he's probably comfortably in last seasons PO roster.

All of this ^ is why i have alot of optimism where JJ can simply slide into the 6 D dressed nightly where the responsibilities on D here are much more spread out in terms of neutralizing the opponents best players vs the situation he was in with CBJ under Torts.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tom Hanks

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
While he is... it's also his last waiver exempt season. It would be nice to see what he can do before we're forced to depend on him or find another option.

If we run our normal rate of injuries and/or make 2 for 1 trades to bolster LW, I think he'll get a decent chunk of time this season.

You are right and that's the problem. GMs would take him in a heartbeat. If officiating was.right, Wilson would be totally useless.

Eh, I think he'd have a use even if he wasn't allowed to headshot people without getting suspended all the time. Not nearly the same level of use, but I think what Riptide said about him being a third wheel holds.

AverageJoeFan

Mad cat
Feb 15, 2018
Pittsburgh
1) Wilson is a goon who has some skills
2) He played with their top players in a checking role
3) They won a cup

Not saying that every goon has his skills for sure, but as long as the league allows Wilson to throw headshots at players and skate he is certainly valuable. The minute they crack down on him is the minute his value plummets.

Yes, he would still hold some value. $5 mil over 6? Prolly not...

Reactions: EightyOne

CanadianPensFan1

Jun 13, 2014
Canada
And cheaper.

Wh .. wha.. what did I just read?

No. Just no. I like Gallagher. A lot. Living where I do, i watch a lot of Montreal games. He's a really good player. But he is NOT better than Horns.

Edit. the only area where Gallgher has an advantage is his age.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Why was Cole spending a significant amount of time eating nacho's watching the games from the PB?
Why were Kuhnhackl and Rowney getting games over Sprong (even after we had injuries)? The same could be said for Simon.

While I think you make a fair point... different players get minutes / games over other players for a multitude of reasons. Columbus had a deep blueline and JJ was having a rough season. I'd put a lot more faith in more then just how things went for him last year.

Would you sign Kuhnhackl, Rowney, Cole or Simon to a five year deal?

Would you talk any of those players up like some want to do with JJ?

Or would you realize they are all role players and there was a reason all four were scratched / played in certain circumstances.

Reactions: JackFr

JackFr

Jun 18, 2010
Statistically speaking, Gallagher is better than Horny at even strength scoring and they're both the same at shot generation/suppression. I think they're very comparable players, and both very good. Keeping in mind that Hornqvist has much better players (especially centres) to complement.

I think Gallagher is a majorly underrated player to be honest, and would probably be great on this team. However I still like Hornqvist better in the role we've got him in.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
1) Wilson is a goon who has some skills
2) He played with their top players in a checking role
3) They won a cup

Not saying that every goon has his skills for sure, but as long as the league allows Wilson to throw headshots at players and skate he is certainly valuable. The minute they crack down on him is the minute his value plummets.

Yes, he would still hold some value. $5 mil over 6? Prolly not...

Of course he's not worth 5m. But neither does he need to be able to headshot people to be valuable to his team. He's like a young/prime Kunitz in his ability to use his speed and a willingness to hit anything that moves. The difference is that unlike Kunitz, Wilson doesn't limit things to clean hits (or even mostly cleanish hits), but targets the head whenever possible and doesn't seem to give two shits about the legality of his hits. And while prime Kunitz was still a 50+ pt player, Wilson even without his goon tactics can probably still be that type of guy - especially given his age.

So while I think it will be hard for him to ever really live up to that contract, neither would it change all that much even if the officials cracked down on his shit.

Reactions: Warm Cookies

BigEezyE22

Continuing to not support HF.
Feb 2, 2007
Jersey
The bump in cap makes it so hard to judge things. The $5m increase this year is basically the past 3 annual increases combined.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Hornqvist on the third line and 1st unit PP is fine by me. If you can find a younger faster better ES version of him, don’t worry about Horny.

Reactions: Shady Machine

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Just to stir up the masses. Hockeybuzz saying Kessel to Vegas and Karlsson to Pitt.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Our good friend will be the third party in the deal again apparently. Erik Karlsson coming here. Not William.

AverageJoeFan

Mad cat
Feb 15, 2018
Pittsburgh
Of course he's not worth 5m. But neither does he need to be able to headshot people to be valuable to his team. He's like a young/prime Kunitz in his ability to use his speed and a willingness to hit anything that moves. The difference is that unlike Kunitz, Wilson doesn't limit things to clean hits (or even mostly cleanish hits), but targets the head whenever possible and doesn't seem to give two ****s about the legality of his hits. And while prime Kunitz was still a 50+ pt player, Wilson even without his goon tactics can probably still be that type of guy - especially given his age.

So while I think it will be hard for him to ever really live up to that contract, neither would it change all that much even if the officials cracked down on his ****.
Just my two cents, but I think Kunitz was infinity smarter at hockey than Wilson.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad