Salary Cap: Salary Cap & Roster Building | Cap Details + Links in First Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

BladeRunner66

Two-Headed Jerk
Oct 23, 2017
Of course he's not worth 5m. But neither does he need to be able to headshot people to be valuable to his team. He's like a young/prime Kunitz in his ability to use his speed and a willingness to hit anything that moves. The difference is that unlike Kunitz, Wilson doesn't limit things to clean hits (or even mostly cleanish hits), but targets the head whenever possible and doesn't seem to give two ****s about the legality of his hits. And while prime Kunitz was still a 50+ pt player, Wilson even without his goon tactics can probably still be that type of guy - especially given his age.

So while I think it will be hard for him to ever really live up to that contract, neither would it change all that much even if the officials cracked down on his ****.
He will never live up to it, he's overpaid because Head of Security George f***ing Parros let him head hunt all the way to the Cup. If they crack down on that shit then he becomes even more overpaid like way more. Watch him do his dirty work in PO again if he either doesn't nearly play that dirty during regular season or shit head Georgie boy is still there in said PO.

This is game regression and Caps Cup has a blood money contract over it.

Bettman's BS about cracking down on headshots makes him a joke now that it looks like he's got his balls squeezed by a corrupt Security Department. Maybe an upcoming CBA war makes Bettman pleasing to the NHLPA in order to soften'em up, i don't know.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Our good friend will be the third party in the deal again apparently. Erik Karlsson coming here. Not William.

Yeah, I got that...would rather trade out Kessel and get EK back in a three-way anyway, plus a young player or two back if we can....as long as we have the money to sign EK longer term

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Wh .. wha.. what did I just read?

No. Just no. I like Gallagher. A lot. Living where I do, i watch a lot of Montreal games. He's a really good player. But he is NOT better than Horns.

Edit. the only area where Gallgher has an advantage is his age.

Uh yes he is.

And he is cheaper. Any sane person would take Gallagher over Hornqvist. Especially taking contracts into account. But also that Gallagher puts up similar numbers NOT playing with the best player in the world...while bringing the same intangibles Hornqvist does.

Reactions: JackFr

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Uh yes he is.

And he is cheaper. Any sane person would take Gallagher over Hornqvist. Especially taking contracts into account. But also that Gallagher puts up similar numbers NOT playing with the best player in the world...while bringing the same intangibles Hornqvist does.

Just from a contract and age perspective, I'd trade Horny for Gallagher, but it'd never happen. I would happily have both though!

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Uh yes he is.

Call me crazy then.

Hornqvist puts up similar numbers no matter who he’s played with over the years. Gallagher certainly doesn’t have Hornqvist’s strength.

I’d love both but happier we have Hornqvist

Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven

BladeRunner66

Two-Headed Jerk
Oct 23, 2017
Adding my 2 cents on Gallagher/Hornqvist's debate. One thing that wasn't mentioned is how Gallagher plays bigger than he is, before last season he played 53 and 64 games due to injuries. He's fearless but self-aggravating, opponents dream about punishing him, he plays dirty on goalies and i doubt that he'll have a long career as he's basically playing over his head (5'9'' isn't big too). I don't expect him to score 31g again. Smaller players tend to accumulate physical punishment worst than bigger ones as RS goes, may it come from opponents or from over-exerting themselves. He'd get demolished if Habs go far in PO, which probably won't happen anytime soon but it's just to illustrate that he'd get super banged up in no time under blind PO refs.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Adding my 2 cents on Gallagher/Hornqvist's debate. One thing that wasn't mentioned is how Gallagher plays bigger than he is, before last season he played 53 and 64 games due to injuries. He's fearless but self-aggravating, opponents dream about punishing him, he plays dirty on goalies and i doubt that he'll have a long career as he's basically playing over his head (5'9'' isn't big too). I don't expect him to score 31g again. Smaller players tend to accumulate physical punishment worst than bigger ones as RS goes, may it come from opponents or from over-exerting themselves. He'd get demolished if Habs go far in PO, which probably won't happen anytime soon but it's just to illustrate that he'd get super banged up in no time under blind PO refs.

Ryan Wilson posted a list of overrated players and Hornqvist was on it. I know his articles have really been garbage for a while now but this is a new low.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I'd say Carolina got better. They are a goalie away from being an actual legit team.

Disagree. Maybe Svechnikov really boosts them but their forward group is still lacking IMHO.

Gallagher is a better Hornqvist.
And cheaper.

More skilled for sure but not as good around the net, But Gallagher is the much better player away from the blue paint, but he is pretty good too there and on the PP.

giphy.gif

Having Hagelin, Rust, PH and Gallagher on the same team would be a whole lot of disruptive hockey.

It would. I'd love to have Gallagher here but not at the expense of Hornqvist.

How are Guentzel and Gallagher similar?

Their names both start with G.

Re: Kessel and Karlsson. Given this HockeyBuzz.com - Eklund - Rumor: Karlsson to Pitt, Kessel Heading to Vegas (e3) Chart Fully Updated.

Then this: HockeyBuzz.com - Eklund - Brady Tkachuk Leaning Towards Not Signing in Ottawa.

Karlsson to Vegas for stuff.

Karlsson to Pittsburgh for Kessel.

Letang to Ottawa for Brady Tkachuk.

:naughty:

Giskard

Jun 20, 2008
Alps
They learned a very important lesson.

They learned that there are little to no consequences for signing bad contracts.
Well, the Caps were so close to the Pens in the last three post-seasons, that if they had better spent the 5.5 million $ of Orpik in depth players, we could be talking right how to stop the Capitals from winning their 4th consecutive Stanley Cup ...

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
Well, the Caps were so close to the Pens in the last three post-seasons, that if they had better spent the 5.5 million $ of Orpik in depth players, we could be talking right how to stop the Capitals from winning their 4th consecutive Stanley Cup ...

Unfair to the Pens.

I'd happily defend that you could have given every team in the east another 5-7M in salary in 2016 - that nobody was stopping the buzz-saw Pens that season. Easily argued as the most dominant post season of the current century (though you could also argue for the 13 Hawks). Don't tell Tampa fans though, they'll go to their graves thinking that a healthy Stamkos = Cup championship in 2016 (yet with a better team in 2018 +healthy Stamkos couldn't get it done) And in 2016 we were pre-large jump in salary cap and had Kunitz eating 4M of it.

In 2017, the fact that they couldn't handle the injury-riddled Pens with Schultz playing 1D minutes had nothing to do with a wasted 5.5M in cap space. Team was snake-bitten and required an outright depleted Pittsburgh team to advance in 2018. Just the way it goes. We took them to 6 games with only 1 line of scoring..so who's contract do we get to replace for 2018 for equal grounds?

BrokenStick

Feb 8, 2004
Ellwood City, PA
Did anyone see the behind the scenes pre-draft video the Coyotes put out last night?

Certainly makes it sound like we had a big move on the table with them, since Chayka said the pieces involved made it complicated to try to work on a ROR deal.

Giskard

Jun 20, 2008
Alps
Unfair to the Pens.

I'd happily defend that you could have given every team in the east another 5-7M in salary in 2016 - that nobody was stopping the buzz-saw Pens that season. Easily argued as the most dominant post season of the current century (though you could also argue for the 13 Hawks). Don't tell Tampa fans though, they'll go to their graves thinking that a healthy Stamkos = Cup championship in 2016 (yet with a better team in 2018 +healthy Stamkos couldn't get it done) And in 2016 we were pre-large jump in salary cap and had Kunitz eating 4M of it.

In 2017, the fact that they couldn't handle the injury-riddled Pens with Schultz playing 1D minutes had nothing to do with a wasted 5.5M in cap space. Team was snake-bitten and required an outright depleted Pittsburgh team to advance in 2018. Just the way it goes. We took them to 6 games with only 1 line of scoring..so who's contract do we get to replace for 2018 for equal grounds?
Pens dominate in play, but not in scoring, every single game in 2016 was won by the Pens by just 1 goal and a stellar Murray, and 2017 decisive was Fleury especially in game-7, if the Caps had more depth maybe thing could had gone the other way, like in 2018, Pens were the better team for several games and yet we lost, only in the end a fresher and deeper Washington team survived. I'm happy that they thrown 5.1 million $ down the toilet, but there is consequence for bad contracts, and likely the Caps will pay it again (and again ...).

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Did anyone see the behind the scenes pre-draft video the Coyotes put out last night?

Certainly makes it sound like we had a big move on the table with them, since Chayka said the pieces involved made it complicated to try to work on a ROR deal.

At the time there was a lot of noise about Kessel to the Yotes for a Domi + package.

Honestly, Domi, 1st and Gogo or Demers might have been a decent package for Kessel, plus it would’ve prevented us from getting Jack Johnson.

Dumo - Letang
Maatta - Schultz
Gogo - Oleksiak

That’s a championship D.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
At the time there was a lot of noise about Kessel to the Yotes for a Domi + package.

Honestly, Domi, 1st and Gogo or Demers might have been a decent package for Kessel, plus it would’ve prevented us from getting Jack Johnson.

Dumo - Letang
Maatta - Schultz
Gogo - Oleksiak

That’s a championship D.

And yet I'd take Johnson and Kessel over Gogo and Domi. And I'm a huge fan of Gogo.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Must’ve missed the whole 5th overall pick. Which I think is the most valuable piece.

That could potentially open our window for the rest of Crosby and Malkin’s career. Dumoulin, Murray, Jake and a potential # 1C if we picked right.

Not really a draft for picking 1Cs to be pedantic. There was some nice talent available there though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->